Gulf State Pier 8-28-6 Dive Report and me screaming like a girl...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Jwhitlock in Gulf Shores and we took my workvan over to the pier. After a bit of high velocity dune jumping we were at the end of whats left of the road near the pier. I don't recommend anyone doing this at the risk of getting stuck and getting towed for 'trespassing' in a construction zone.

Water was choppy, but no real surf to speak of - winds coming out of the SW with a bit of sideshore current, but nothing unmanagable in the least. A little seaweed in the surfzone as well as a few jellyfish. Once we were out of the surf, we really didn't see many other jellyfish(suprising after this weekend), nor seaweed(another suprise). I wore a skin and the water was damned hot, upper 80s, nearly uncomfortable. Visibility was a very milky 5-8'. Lots of fish schooling the pier, including mullet, spades, bluerunners and bluefish, mangrove, ect. We saw lots of bluecrab, flounder, a few redfish, a puffer, ect. Jwhitlock was taking pictures, I was just there to sightsee. We hit a max depth of 12' for 67 minutes; burning less than half a tank.

Good fun dive.

I dropped jwhitlock off and we talked for a bit about diving. I left my door open... and apparently got a visitor without noticing... 2 minutes into the ride home, I felt something rub against both my feet, thinking it was a bug, I didn't think much of it. Felt it again, turned the dome light on to see a little brown/black snake squirm into the doorjam of the passenger door. I scream like a little ***** and pull over, rushing the passenger door open. I don't see the snake again, not positive it got out. I ride home with the dome light on looking around the interior of the van every chance I get... Get home rip everything out and look around like crazy. Nothing. I hope the damned thing is gone :dropmouth

:lol: :lol:

Snakes on plane, jellyfish on a pier, and now snakes in a van ... was Samuel L in the back yelling? Was the sceam as high pitched I imagined?

Thanks for the report. I guess the cloud cover on Saturday made the shallows a little cooler for us.

Yeah, it was noticably warmer here. Actually, I think Gulf Shores is usually a bit warmer anyway due to its location between Mobile Bay and Perdido Bay pushing all the river water into the Gulf?

I'd rather not think about the scream, atleast nobody heard it :p

I thought I heard something, but just decided they were testing that emergency siren over in Mobile. You know, those snakes have a way of hiding until you forget about them. Can't say that I blame you about the scream,though. Would have probably done the same.

Mike

Bug Man, you are SUCH A WOOSIE !!!!!

the K

I heard a story once about a snake that hid in a van for a year or so, grew to be 8 ft long and turned into a black mamba. Could just be a rumor.

Mike

Yeah, can't wait man!!!
Bug Man's going to gear up . . . reach for his regulator hose and it's going to start wrapping itself around his neck like a DIR rig !!!!

Haawwwrrrr, haawwwrrrr, haawwwrrrrrrrr . . . . . :D

the K-obra Man

No sweat... just leave the van all closed up for a day in Baldwin county in August and the snake will be ready for a little BBQ sauce. And if you don't find him fresh and tasty, he'll lead you by the nose to him in a few days :)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom