Trip Report 8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report. There are plenty of front-zip 3 mm shorties available. I used to have one like this (though from another brand), easy to put on and off.

@drrich2. Thank you very much for the outstanding review with pictures. As always, a wonderfully detailed, thorough, and enjoyable review which should be read by all planning to visit Bonaire.

Thanks so much for the detailed report. I can’t wait to head there on my first trip to the island in mid January!

Thanks for the trip report. We're staying at Sand Dollar in June. This will be our second trip.

Jason

Jason:

I think you'll enjoy Sand Dollar, but one quick affirmation of something I think Damselfish and somebody else mentioned elsewhere; the pool at Sand Dollar Condo.'s is over by Eddy's restaurant. Not just over that way; if you don't go eat at Eddy's one day, you could entirely miss that there's a pool! I dove 5 dives/day for 6 days, and had no interest in getting in a swimming pool, but it's something to know. I remember walking past a tennis court, but I'm not built for a lot of running and leaping around.

On the plus side, Sand Dollar's side of the sandy beach had a cordoned off area for swimming.

By the way, I neglected to mention water temp.s. Partway through the week, I handwrote the 1st 20 dives temp.s off my Oceanic VT3 onto a little 'Rite in the Rain' note pad and took a photo; not at home this minute but from my phone, low temp.s were 83, 83, 82, 83, 80, 82, 83, 83, 83, 78, 83, 83, 82, 83, 83, 82, 81, 82, 82, 80. So, for the 1st 20 dives, temp.s via VT3 (which if anything I suspect may read a degree low?) ran from 80 to 83 degrees. Hethen57, if you go well into winter, I suspect you'll be looking at around 78 degrees.

Water clarity for the week was probably 80 - 100 feet, none of the dives were bad on viz. Did encounter a little current at times, never just awful but at least one dive it was work swimming back against it. Saw a bunch of burrfish (such as porcupine fish). Not used to seeing so many tarpon by day. Did not see a single hawksbill sea turtle all week, which surprised me, just the 2 greens (one smaller than a dinner plate, quite cute).

P.S.: Special shoutout to Reef Smart for their Bonaire guide; thanks to you, I finally figured out where Something Special was and how to get to and dive it. Much appreciated!

What a great report thnx for taking the time to post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom