Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They activated the annular bop it is basically puts a strangle hold around the drillstem. So anything coming up the casing gets blocked. This still leaves the oil coming out of the drill stem to deal with, or worse a leak coming from the annular which is the hole around all the drill equipment, this can be caused by a bad concrete job(halliburton) or a good concrete job that was just damaged by the kick.

Also the above link is just and example of an annular bop. The one owned by Transocean was leased to BP and was in operation. This was made by Cameron Products

Cameron Products DL Annular Blowout Preventer

They activated the annular bop it is basically puts a strangle hold around the drillstem. So anything coming up the casing gets blocked. This still leaves the oil coming out of the drill stem to deal with, or worse a leak coming from the annular which is the hole around all the drill equipment, this can be caused by a bad concrete job(halliburton) or a good concrete job that was just damaged by the kick.

Also the above link is just and example of an annular bop. The one owned by Transocean was leased to BP and was in operation. This was made by Cameron Products

Cameron Products DL Annular Blowout Preventer

I would think if it is leaking from the annular that could be seen by the ROVs. I was under the impression the drill string was out the hole when it kicked.

The drill string was still in the bop and the well hole. It was partially ejected, kinked and leaking from 3 places they verified and stated with a rov. The NOAA videos of them operating the bop with the rov's did not show and sign of anything leaking at the BOP stack. It might have been, but the videos were clear as day. If the drill string would have been out, you are correct the annular bop would have sealed the hole

Here is a list of what congress has the power to pass laws on which one lets it spend our money on new energy. Thats the job of private investment.

Randy

Section 8 - Powers of Congress
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

environmental health and economic health are both for the good of the general welfare. I am not a lawyer, so I do not know the case law regarding this, but Im pretty sure investment into energy sources and infrastructure is OK.

Do you really believe the engineers don't "think" about this kind of stuff before the oil company to spends a billion dollars on a platform??? Of course they do!

The problem appears to be that the engineering controls (blow out preventers) failed for some, as of yet, unknown reason.

You seem to think that these engineers don't eat, drink, swim and live in and around the same waters you do. They do, and they are just as concerned about keeping our environment clean as you are.

Do I think engineers are evil? No. Do I think they are human and can lack foresight? Yes. I am not saying we are all perfect, but clearly when the failsafe FAILS there was something wrong with the planning. This isn't really meant to pick on engineers per se, but I would rather hear something other than "well, everything we designed to prevent a catastrophe failed". Obviously more planning is needed then isn't it.

And that is just a downright BS answer and one not grounded in reality.

Dammit quit putting anyone that is "for the environment" (whatever that really means) as some sort of paragon of virtue and companies, specifically oil companies, as evil nerdowells.

The underbelly of a "civilized" world is dirty, the reason Dirty Jobs is so popular is because "oh my gosh" people just do not want to see it anymore but that does not lessen the fact that it exists.

Would I love something other than oil to run the world? ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY! Does it mean I want to drive our current prices to $10 a gallon for gas, or send heating out through the roof, or have plastics cost a fortune because people "do not have a clue" TM regarding the real and deep level that oil plays in our society? Umm....no.

Thats fine. Certainly environmentalists can be just as extreme as anti-environment people. Certainly, they are not paragons of society. However, stonewalling clean energy alternatives due to a political lobby (which the oil industry actively does, and succeeds very well in) is not what is good for anyone. Do you ever ask why gas prices are sooooo high while profits are continuously at record levels? There is a better way to live and sometimes that means that we need to go through the crap of transitioning to a cleaner energy system. Yea, it might suck initially, but i really dont want everyone to suffer because you refuse to pay higher oil prices. I mean really, you think I am upset, just imagine the people in La that now have no income because their jobs have been destroyed without their input. I mean, they had no say in this at all. No control, no options, and no where near enough money to bribe politicians to fight for them. I wonder if executives at BP will suffer so much; probably not.

His Royal Emperor Obama declared that it was all BPs fault and that they would pay, never mind that they contracted the drilling to another company and while I agree, they are in part to blame most likely, if they complied with regulations, if they subcontracted the work, I mean, don't we have a court system designed to asses guilt and innocence or is that now part of the Emperor Obama power grab now that his has nationalized GM, health care, tried to destroy Toyota for the UAW and now was slow to react to the oil spill calamity while putting his top idiot, Janet of the Homeland Security Moron Dept, in charge, I dunno, I just feel all warm and cuddly and safe.

If Bush was stupid and he was, this new guy takes the bar to levels only Dumb and Dumber-er could possibly achieve. Maybe BP could give Emperor Obamananna an IOU for the damage?

Meanwhile, the oil is killing everything, W-----------!

N

Even though the Deep Horizon was contracted to BP to drill the well, BP still maintains control over the actual process. I suppose it would best be described as renting the drill ship rather than contracting Trans Ocean to do the work. At least that is the way it works on land, may not be the same offshore. Regardless of that BP is still liable for the damages, it is their lease. They may end up with suits against others if there is negligence shown.

Obama is again flexing his butt cheeks to give birth to another ideal. Scary isn't it?

environmental health and economic health are both for the good of the general welfare. I am not a lawyer, so I do not know the case law regarding this, but Im pretty sure investment into energy sources and infrastructure is OK.

Do I think engineers are evil? No. Do I think they are human and can lack foresight? Yes. I am not saying we are all perfect, but clearly when the failsafe FAILS there was something wrong with the planning. This isn't really meant to pick on engineers per se, but I would rather hear something other than "well, everything we designed to prevent a catastrophe failed". Obviously more planning is needed then isn't it.

Thats fine. Certainly environmentalists can be just as extreme as anti-environment people. Certainly, they are not paragons of society. However, stonewalling clean energy alternatives due to a political lobby (which the oil industry actively does, and succeeds very well in) is not what is good for anyone. Do you ever ask why gas prices are sooooo high while profits are continuously at record levels? There is a better way to live and sometimes that means that we need to go through the crap of transitioning to a cleaner energy system. Yea, it might suck initially, but i really dont want everyone to suffer because you refuse to pay higher oil prices. I mean really, you think I am upset, just imagine the people in La that now have no income because their jobs have been destroyed without their input. I mean, they had no say in this at all. No control, no options, and no where near enough money to bribe politicians to fight for them. I wonder if executives at BP will suffer so much; probably not.

As for the engineering aspect of this accident, the media seems to be spinning some truth into what they want you to think. There is more than meets the eye here. It appears as though there were (as I suspected) other happenings that started the chain of events that ultimately brought this diasaster to the point it currently is. According to a person that was on board the drillship, (by the way the media has consistantly labeled this as as platform when in fact it is not) said that the BOP's had just been tested as in the procedure has just been completed when the blowout occurred. What caused that to happen is still in question. You can check this website out for the interview as it is posted there. It also gives some insight into what happed just prior to the fire and then the sinking of the vessel.

drillingahead.com

Am I misunderstanding your post or are you saying that the high cost of oil and the profits made by oil companies is the cause of people losing their jobs in LA and not having any say in the matter because why? Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

My husband and I were supposed to go on our anniversary dive in Destin at the end of May. Does not look like it will be happening now.

I live in Mississippi and I know on our coast they are gearing up as best they can to try and save the wildlife and beaches.

I would think if it is leaking from the annular that could be seen by the ROVs. I was under the impression the drill string was out the hole when it kicked.

I have heard they were out of the hole too. My understanding is they just completed testing the BOP's. There are pictures on the website Drilling Ahead - A Social Network of Oil & Gas Professionals and a diagram giving a better description of where things are and what kind of shape they're in.

The drill string was still in the bop and the well hole. It was partially ejected, kinked and leaking from 3 places they verified and stated with a rov. The NOAA videos of them operating the bop with the rov's did not show and sign of anything leaking at the BOP stack. It might have been, but the videos were clear as day. If the drill string would have been out, you are correct the annular bop would have sealed the hole

Not sure but what you are looking at may be the riser, not the drillpip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom