Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the gulf is practically anoxic anyways, doesn't really matter.

I can only assume that this statement was made in jest and let it go at that.

I can only assume that this statement was made in jest and let it go at that.

Or ignorance.

BP has succeeded in putting a valve on the open end of the drill pipe. This will not substantially reduce the flow but it is one less leak point to contend with. The first cofferdam should be in place by the end of the week and will if all goes well substantially reduce the flow of oil into the water. The second cofferdam is still under construction.
As of today there are still no reports of heavy oil coming ashore, and only two small areas of a light sheen coming ashore.

His Royal Emperor Obama declared that it was all BPs fault and that they would pay

N

The CEO of BP already made that clear.

Reuters-BP Plc will compensate all those affected by an oil spill from one of its wells in the Gulf of Mexico, said its chief executive, who admitted that the disaster could hit plans to open new areas off the U.S. coast to drilling.
"We are taking full responsibility for the spill and we will clean it up, and where people can present legitimate claims for damages we will honor them. We are going to be very, very aggressive in all of that," Tony Hayward told Reuters in an interview on Friday.

The CEO of BP already made that clear.

Reuters-BP Plc will compensate all those affected by an oil spill from one of its wells in the Gulf of Mexico, said its chief executive, who admitted that the disaster could hit plans to open new areas off the U.S. coast to drilling.
"We are taking full responsibility for the spill and we will clean it up, and where people can present legitimate claims for damages we will honor them. We are going to be very, very aggressive in all of that," Tony Hayward told Reuters in an interview on Friday.

Besides that, the guidelines for who the responsible party is and how much they are responsible for when it comes to financing the cleanup are already pretty well defined as per the Oil Pollution Act in 1990 (signed into law by George H. W. Bush, by the way), which came about in reaction to the Exxon Valdez spill. (full text of the code here -> United States Code: Browse Titles Page )

I don't see how Obama is stepping outside the established protocol here. :idk:

Last edited:
Am I misunderstanding your post or are you saying that the high cost of oil and the profits made by oil companies is the cause of people losing their jobs in LA and not having any say in the matter because why? Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

I am saying that the industry executives who lobby continuously against oil alternatives are not suffering here at all. However, the people who are affected by the spill are suffering, but with no recourse whatsoever. This isnt a direct link to profits, its a direct link to profit margins, cutting corners, and the expenses (sometimes unseen) of continuing to use a wasteful source of non-renewable energy: heat from burning oil.

I am saying that the industry executives who lobby continuously against oil alternatives are not suffering here at all. However, the people who are affected by the spill are suffering, but with no recourse whatsoever. This isnt a direct link to profits, its a direct link to profit margins, cutting corners, and the expenses (sometimes unseen) of continuing to use a wasteful source of non-renewable energy: heat from burning oil.

Now I am grasping what you are saying. I looked at your post and saw La and my mind screwed me and though LA as in CA. Didn't make much sense, Sorry. Lobbying is done by both sides of every issue. One side not being any less dishonest with their intent than the other.

The news reports today suggested that the owners of the rig have 120 million dollars in reserve to contribute to repair and cleanup. Who owns the rig?

Back
Top Bottom