GUE Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holdin the bar high is good. But...if they take smokers as students maybe they can contribute to them deciding to quit rather than sending them to a "ïnferior agency" . I guess it all depends what the goal is.

I could only accept students who could do as many pushups or chinups as me (OH... but that would let out most GUE trained divers as well). I could only accept students who are athletic and have good coordination. they would be easy students (in some respects) and they would meke me look good. There are many poor phisical specimens who don't smoke.

:confused:

This is strange...Everyone seems to have a view on this DUE and DIR stuff and til I got on this board I'd never heard of either.
It sounds like some kind of diving cult where a bunch of diving
Taliban want everyone to dress up like cave divers and follow some party line. Is this doctrine or whatever it is relavant to ordinary Cozumel-Gilboa rec divers?

Lawman once bubbled...
Is this doctrine or whatever it is relavant to ordinary Cozumel-Gilboa rec divers? [/B]

It IS relevant if you want to increase your level of safety while diving. It's a damn good system and my feeling is that it's the future of diving.

Tom

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Isn't it great that there is at least one agency that holds the bar high?

It WOULD be great if they really did hold the bar high. What they really do is take this great big long bar and raise one little portion of it, leaving the rest of the bar as low or lower than the other agencies.

How do I know this? I don't really since their medical info registration forms are only available if you actually submit the first one, but I've seen a good few fat divers with certs that end in "1".

I'm really not putting them down, I think think they provide the highest level of training available today. I simply find this one thing terribly unfair.

Tom

I will say that their paperwork was probably the most extensive I have filled out for anything in my life regarding what I have done in the past and general medical information. I know that I had to explain anything checked (like a PADI/RSTC medical form), but that there were additional boxes for things like alcohol use and tobacco use.

What is the GUE policy on smokeless tobacco use?

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
What is the GUE policy on smokeless tobacco use?

Chad
I suggested smokeless tobacco use to someone in jest as a way to get through a GUE class...not sure what their policy is, or if they have one, but the forms just state "tobacco use".

:mean:

I think the future of diving is getting as many people as possible into a fun, safe sport that doesn't require them to be athletes.
It should be like golf, something that anyone from 12 to 80 can enjoy. It shouldn't intimidate prospective participants. The more people, the more clout with the government and more Tortugas reserves, more reefs protected, better economic health for the industry. That's the future of diving, not making it an odeal.
It would be a damn small Army and Navy if everybody had to be a paratrooper or SEAL.

Lawman once bubbled...

I think the future of diving is getting as many people as possible into a fun, safe sport that doesn't require them to be athletes.
It should be like golf, something that anyone from 12 to 80 can enjoy. It shouldn't intimidate prospective participants. The more people, the more clout with the government and more Tortugas reserves, more reefs protected, better economic health for the industry. That's the future of diving, not making it an odeal.
It would be a damn small Army and Navy if everybody had to be a paratrooper or SEAL.

DIR is a good thing; the equipment, configuration, reasoning behind certain decisions. GUE does not have a patent on DIR, nor do you have to be GUE to dive DIR. They are using the DIR name to promote themselves.

Phil

Lawman once bubbled...

It should be like golf, something that anyone from 12 to 80 can enjoy. It shouldn't intimidate prospective participants. .

Lawman,

Let me start out saying that I respect your right to have an alternative opinion but I simply just don't share the same view as you.. I don't think we need anymore diver's in the sport, it's not the quantity that concerns me it's the quality. I think we need better trained diver's, and while in some respects I'm not opposed to diver's that can meet certain physical fitness standards I still believe that 12 year olds are much too young to be diving...

Secondly, what other sport that you are aware of, that under the law is an inherintely risky sport, has training agencies and participants seeking lesser training barriers and not more.. I remember when I went to skydiving class, if the instructor would have been talking about faster, shorter and quicker training classes I would have turned around and walked right out the door..

I simply don't think that we need to lower the entry barrier, in fact I believe firmly that the entry barrier is much too low at this point, and while for certain I agree that scuba can be a safe sport, I add a disclaimer in that I only believe that if the diver has been thoroughly trained and is in atleast modest physical condition..

As to your comparison to golf, I simply disagree again. Golf doesn't put you in an underwater environment that may require you to solve a problem, or ascend without embolizing all in the limited amount of time that you may be able to hold one breath.. The physical demands of the two sports, and most importantly the environment of the two sports are so adversely different that they really can't be compared in the context of entry barriers.. If you make a mistake in golf you slice the ball, if you make a mistake in diving it could kill you..

Just my thoughts, but as I noted I appreciate that you may share a different view.

Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom