GUE Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...
I was asked once, and the jury is still deliberating the answer: Does that mean vegetarians are food?
Yes, but the DOW doesn't have a legal season on 'em yet.

Roak

About smoking and DCS
It depends on the size of your blood vessels. Some people have naturally small vessels. Among this group it would seem inadvisable to smoke. Nicotine ingestion causes constriction of the blood vessels and reduction in peripheral blood flow. My opinion is that constriction of the capillaries could result in an entrapment of bubbles under certain conditions. The contributing factors are the usual, dehydration and cold. Under these conditions a type II hit seems more probable everything else being equal. However, inequalities are common. The PFO defect, in particular, can result in shunting of bubbles to the arterial side. This, with smoking, is a setup for paralysis. I don't know if this problem is common but IMO is likely to happen in some individuals from time to time.

Tom,
You are a widely respected diver. To denigate yourself to some DIR/GUE BS is silly.
OK I quite smoking 2+years ago, dropped 30+ pounds, got the old BMI in line, and improved my RMV capability greatly. Good! So I am a better diver today than I was yesterday. I still would rather dive with a silly old smoking fart like you than some Gue cultist that passed a 3-day DIR-F class. What will you really learn in a GUE course that you haven't already done? So you still smoke. Big deal, that your decision.
I would feel a lot more comfortable in the water with a smoking experienced dude such as you than a newly minted GUE wannabe.
WW is an adult so don't apologize.
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom