GUE Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivesWithTurtles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would anybody like to recommend particular GUE instructors? (There are so few of them.) Maybe list some of their individual characteristics and teaching styles.

Of course I don't want to see any of them get dissed here. If you've had problems with one (unlikely, I would guess), I'm sure you should discuss it with GUE, not us. But I'm sure they vary in temperment, style and methods, etc.

Side question: In the D-F class, do the instructors use assistants, or go it alone. (I'd say 'solo', but...)

Yes im also looking for a GUE instructor in Florida for next winter (cave 1)

I have been around several DIRF classes and here is usually someone (i.e. interns and former students who help out with video) as well as more than one instructor if the number of students dictate.

In north Florida I would recommend David Rhea. He was my Cave 1 and Cave 2 instructor. Very good and very cool. David is the cave training director. Very laid back yet demanding. Always up to date on the most current methods.

I have also been around Andrew Georgitsis, Mike Kane, Marc Hall, Joe Televera, RJ Reynolds, Sonya Tittle, Dan McKay, Brandon, Schwartz, Scot Wernet and several others. They are all excellent and you won't go wrong with any of them.

DivesWithTurtle:
Would anybody like to recommend particular GUE instructors? (There are so few of them.) Maybe list some of their individual characteristics and teaching styles.

Of course I don't want to see any of them get dissed here. If you've had problems with one (unlikely, I would guess), I'm sure you should discuss it with GUE, not us. But I'm sure they vary in temperment, style and methods, etc.

Side question: In the D-F class, do the instructors use assistants, or go it alone. (I'd say 'solo', but...)

DS1:
Yes im also looking for a GUE instructor in Florida for next winter (cave 1)

Tyler Moon and Dave Sweetin are also in North Florida. I took a DPV class from Tyler and he was excellent. Dave, also a GUE instructor, came along for one of the dives and was great also.

Karen

Tyler and Daivd Rhea are just about the only ones teaching up there right now, especially cave. Dave Sweetin hasn't been doing much, if any, teaching recently. He's pretty busy over at Halcyon. I have only met Tyler in passing, but I have heard he is a great instructor. Dave Sweetin is one of the nicest people you will meet any has always been extremely helpful. Hopefully he will get back into teaching more in the future.

A word of advice seeking to get David Rhea to teach cave 1 or 2. He is only teaching one cave class a month is is booked at least 6 or 7 months out. If you want him, start reserving a spot immediately. I got lucky and got in last year when he taught more classes.

Karen Cleveland:
Tyler Moon and Dave Sweetin are also in North Florida. I took a DPV class from Tyler and he was excellent. Dave, also a GUE instructor, came along for one of the dives and was great also.

Karen

Dan Gibson:
Tyler and Daivd Rhea are just about the only ones teaching up there right now, especially cave. Dave Sweetin hasn't been doing much, if any, teaching recently. He's pretty busy over at Halcyon. I have only met Tyler in passing, but I have heard he is a great instructor. Dave Sweetin is one of the nicest people you will meet any has always been extremely helpful. Hopefully he will get back into teaching more in the future.

Dave is still an option, though. And he is really nice, as is Tyler. Just wanted to throw out other GUE cave instructors.

Karen

I also belive Sonya Tittle and Dean Marshall are in FL in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I believe they work through Brownies.

Here's a link to the Database http://www.gue.com/info/instruct.shtml

Almost any of the instructors will travel to teach a class. The number of instructors varys depending on the number of students (I think the min. ratio is 6:1). They also almost always have someone there taking video of the entire dive, so they have an assistant for almost all classes (well, I haven't seen a class yet with no assistants).

-T

Big-t-2538:
I also belive Sonya Tittle and Dean Marshall are in FL in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I believe they work through Brownies.

Here's a link to the Database http://www.gue.com/info/instruct.shtml

Almost any of the instructors will travel to teach a class. The number of instructors varys depending on the number of students (I think the min. ratio is 6:1). They also almost always have someone there taking video of the entire dive, so they have an assistant for almost all classes (well, I haven't seen a class yet with no assistants).

-T
I took fundies from Dean in November. He's a great instructor with lots of enthusiasm and good wry sense of humor. I plan to take rec triox from him in the spring. I met Sonya the other day on a DIR social dive and she is very nice. But I'm not sure if either of them teach cave.

DivesWithTurtle:
David Rhea is holding a DIRf next weekend in High Springs, and currently has more intern instructors enrolled than students. You might consider contacting him as the class is still unfilled. I met him during a DUI demo and I hear that he is a very good instructor. He sure was patient with those of us (i.e. me :ne_nau:) who had never been in a drysuit before.

Sonya Tittle is the best, She just moved to Fl. from up here in Seattle. Seattles loss is Florida's gain. You can contact her at Brownies or through the GUE website.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom