GUE Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivesWithTurtle:
Would anybody like to recommend particular GUE instructors? (There are so few of them.) Maybe list some of their individual characteristics and teaching styles.

Of course I don't want to see any of them get dissed here. If you've had problems with one (unlikely, I would guess), I'm sure you should discuss it with GUE, not us. But I'm sure they vary in temperment, style and methods, etc.

Side question: In the D-F class, do the instructors use assistants, or go it alone. (I'd say 'solo', but...)

While most of the GUE instructors that I've met had allot of knowledge and techniques to share, you are correct in that of the 5 GUE instructors that I've been around, they have diverse teaching styles that may or may not target your particular learning style (auditory, kinestetic, visual). However, with that being said, the structure of the classes generally reaches all three of these learning styles (and the various combinations). Another bonus that I've seen in ALL my dealings with GUE classes is the strong useage of "team teaching". I know that not everyone is teaching at GUE is using this method, but the advantages are incredible. In addition to another set of eyes to monitor skills and comprehension during lecture and execution, the student will likely find that the team of instructors has different teaching styles addressing some facet of your learning style.

I am reticent to outline what I perceive to be the dominant teaching styles of the instructors that I've encountered, because in more than one instance when I explained my need to see and do a particular mental exercise, the instructor modified his approach and my learning was enhanced because of his (Andrew's) ability to adapt to his students.

If you know what your particular learning style is, I may share my opinion in a PM to you.

bob

Bob,

I see you are from NW Ohio. I hail from NE Indiana. Howdy neighbor. Have you taken your DIR classes around here, or have you traveled? I will be in Florida for 2 weeks of Public Safety Dive Classes in March and I am toying with the idea of taking DIR Fund. from Dean Marshall. It will add another 5 days on my trip, so I am not sure if I can swing it. Are there any training opportunities around here (Indy/Ohio/Mich)?

Thank you all for fine recommendations!

Bob, you have certainly come close to the conversation that I was looking to stimulate.

I'm not thinking of recommendations just for me and my area, but a more general discussion of specific instructors throughout GUE. Who is a drill sergeant? Who is a mommy? Or, as Bob elucidated, who uses what emphasis in their teaching style.

Not an easy question. And I also realize that no one would want to insult any of the instructors in any way.

firediver293:
Bob,

I see you are from NW Ohio. I hail from NE Indiana. Howdy neighbor. Have you taken your DIR classes around here, or have you traveled? I will be in Florida for 2 weeks of Public Safety Dive Classes in March and I am toying with the idea of taking DIR Fund. from Dean Marshall. It will add another 5 days on my trip, so I am not sure if I can swing it. Are there any training opportunities around here (Indy/Ohio/Mich)?

There are a pair of DIRF instructors in Detroit (www.scubaguys.com). I've worked and dove with these guys quite a bit. They took a Tech 1 along with my primary buddy and I, but we had to travel to Kingston, Ontario to get the training. You'll find the Scubaguys to be a strong team.

One of the other guys we dive regularly with that has strong skills is from Ft Wayne.

Perhaps we'll see you at Gilboa sometime.

bob

I took my DIR-F course with Dean Marshall last month. He is an amazing instructor!! I have nothing but outstanding things to say about him. He is extremly helpful and knowledgeable. I'd take the drive down to Brownies (Ft. Lauderdale) and go with him, or Sonya.

wb416:
There are a pair of DIRF instructors in Detroit (www.scubaguys.com). I've worked and dove with these guys quite a bit. They took a Tech 1 along with my primary buddy and I, but we had to travel to Kingston, Ontario to get the training. You'll find the Scubaguys to be a strong team.

One of the other guys we dive regularly with that has strong skills is from Ft Wayne.

Perhaps we'll see you at Gilboa sometime.

bob

Who's the guy from Ft. Wayne? PM me if you would rather. I'm about 20 minutes from there and dive with several guys from up that way. I usually hit Gilboa five or six times a year. Maybe we can hook up sometime.

vcobra:
I took my DIR-F course with Dean Marshall last month. He is an amazing instructor!! I have nothing but outstanding things to say about him. He is extremly helpful and knowledgeable. I'd take the drive down to Brownies (Ft. Lauderdale) and go with him, or Sonya.

That's what I have been thinking.

Just trying to justify the cost. The course cost isn't bad (and from what I hear well worth it), but add the boat for a couple trips, air fills, equipment rentals, and hotel for the added nights and OUCH. Since I don't dive BP/W, I assume I will have to rent some so that I am DIR compliant. I am already diving for two weeks and spending a bundle on other classes, boat fees, air fills, etc. You know the deal.

Anyone know of any inexpensive lodging in the area of Brownies?

The only ones that I have spent time with are Tyler Moon and Dave Sweetin. Both are great guys. As expected, they both have exceptional skills and a lot of info to share. Both are really laid back when teaching or just talking. Dave always replies to my emails with detailed responses even though he is a busy guy. I've met Jarrod once briefly...nice guy and great speaker. I'm sure that any of the GUE guys are great though.

firediver293:
That's what I have been thinking.

Just trying to justify the cost. The course cost isn't bad (and from what I hear well worth it), but add the boat for a couple trips, air fills, equipment rentals, and hotel for the added nights and OUCH. Since I don't dive BP/W, I assume I will have to rent some so that I am DIR compliant. I am already diving for two weeks and spending a bundle on other classes, boat fees, air fills, etc. You know the deal.

Anyone know of any inexpensive lodging in the area of Brownies?
Brownies can set you up with motels/hotels in the area. All the same, I think you'd do better waiting until after Easter and spring break. Once season is over, prices in FTL drop considerably.

Yea, wish I could wait til then. Maybe I am getting old, but the thought of Spring Break in Lauderdale isn't real appealing. But the other courses I am taking are only offered a few times a year and these happen to be back to back within a couple hours of each other. So it is that I will be in Florida in March.

Think I will just try to do GUE DIR on another trip. May head up north to Detroit. Much closer, and much more like the diving I am used to.

All that clear water, coral reefs, and bikini clad beauties....anyone can dive that. Blackwater diving. Now that takes someone committed.

LOL. Don't jump on me y'all. Just playing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom