GUE in Denver, CO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was reading some threads and came across the GUE flavor of cert... now, it sounds like these divers are somewhat disliked but the courses sound really intense, and to me, that is a good thing. Anybody know of a place in Denver to investigate GUE training?

Rob Calkins at Flatirons Scuba in Broomfield, is a GUE Fundamentals instructor. He also teaches technical diving, DIR, through NAUI.

I have never felt disliked, at least publicly.

The courses are intense but provide very good training. Rob Calkins is a Fundies instructor located in Boulder. You can read a report of a Fundies class he ran HERE and HERE.

Thank you both! Rookers, have you read some of the threads about GUE certified divers?
I wouldn't care either given the fact that I had a more extensive knowledge about this sport I truly love.. I think I will contact Rob at the Flatirons Scuba shop.

Definitely contact Rob Calkins. He will be able to give you all the information that you need.

diverdownh, DIR divers have a bad internet reputation, and it's based mostly on the behavior of a few people. I know quite a few DIR divers, and I am one myself, and we're generally pretty amiable and decent people who try to dive as well as we can. Don't develop too many preconceptions -- Wait until you actually spend some time with us before you decide "how" we are.

Oh, believe me, that wasn't MY personal impression, just what I've read. I guess the real reason I even brought it up was to see what the reaction was from somone on that side of the fence. What is DIR anyway? I don't see that on the GUE website... No way, my idea is that the more informed you are, the more informed you are <grin>. Why do you think I'm even interested? It is because I could care less what somebody else thinks about a well informed diver, and it sounds like all the things I would have liked my PADI AOW and Rescue to be. Trust me, I'm with ya TSandM!

I was reading some threads and came across the GUE flavor of cert... now, it sounds like these divers are somewhat disliked but the courses sound really intense, and to me, that is a good thing. Anybody know of a place in Denver to investigate GUE training?

As everyone said, definitely talk to Rob. There are some GUE trained divers that dive at Blue Hole in NM, you should come down sometime.

As everyone said, definitely talk to Rob. There are some GUE trained divers that dive at Blue Hole in NM, you should come down sometime.

Duh.... I should have recommended that! I didn't even think about him being so close to us. :) ... Definitely come on down ... PM Jason, me, and/or ABQdiver and we'll get you on our email list so that you know when we go out... You can also get onto the Rocky Mountain Oyster forum and we post dates quiet a bit on there. There will be some of us out there during December 28 - 30. We even have some people from the Denver area going down... You might be able to catch a ride with them. :)

I sent you a PM amascuba, I may already be at the Blue Hole on the 28th and 29th. I will already have a ride down w/my instructor, thanks for the offer though! We're still waiting on the group to "put the money down" but if they follow thru, I will probably go down with my instructor.
I'd love to meet anyone on this board that is going down, especially to debunk the gue diver(s) being labeled, ha! If it does look like we are going down I'll post it for sure and contact anyone interested.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom