GUE Fundamentals Class in 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to try to attend the information session at Anywater Sports on 1/31. That may help me decide whether I want to take the plunge on buying equipment.

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to try to attend the information session at Anywater Sports on 1/31. That may help me decide whether I want to take the plunge on buying equipment.

That sounds like an excellent plan. :)

Thanks for the reply.

DId you go?

Yes, I did go, and the session was very informative. I thought that there was going to be more discussion about the training than there was, but the other information was helpful in making diving locally seem more enticing. I saw some terrific underwater photos (from Clint, I believe) that were of things I'd like to see in person.

I bought the GUE book on fundamentals of diving and am reading it now. I will follow up with questions to Rob Lee about equipment. My next step is probably to do some diving locally with rented gear and make sure I enjoy local diving before I sink big bucks into equipment.

Good luck with you plan!

I will follow up with questions to Rob Lee about equipment. My next step is probably to do some diving locally with rented gear and make sure I enjoy local diving before I sink big bucks into equipment.
The equipment I use for warm water vs cold water for single tank diving is the exact same (Although I switch to a wetsuit; although some others chose to dive their drysuits in warm water). The difference comes when I dive singles vs doubles, as I change to an aluminum back plate and a doubles wing. I took Fundies in doubles and still dive doubles about half the time. If you plan to dive singles only then take the class in singles with like minded individuals. All the skills and buddy training translate from warm to cold water. The class will make you a better diver for sure, and being in control you will be able to enjoy the dives more.

With that said our local diving is incredible and in a warm drysuit very enjoyable. Our reefs, although different, are full of life and color. Many find diving kelp forests to be another world. With 90% of my diving being cold water, I will say I enjoy it.

Many of the excellent photos you probably saw were Rob's too. Both Rob and Clinton are awesome photographers.

I'd agree, both that Fundamentals is a superb class, and that Monterey diving is world-class. There are three very good and very nice GUE instructors in Monterey.

It IS a good idea to have your basic buoyancy sorted, at least enough so that you can muddle through the basic 5 without major problems, before the class. If one of the instructors is up for doing a dry suit class, it would be an excellent sort of primer.

I am planning on using a wetsuit. At least until I do some local dives with a guide and see if there is a problem with that. I look at a dry suit as additional task loading that I don't want right now.

My check-out dives back in 1980 were without gloves, and my hands hurt like the dickens for the first 15 minutes or so of each dive. But for the rest of the dives, I was reasonably warm (until I would turn my head and a jet of cold water would shoot down the back of my neck). Of course, it may be that the pain in my hands distracted me from any general discomfort. And being 32 years older may have an effect as well. That's why I will have to see how it goes with a wetsuit.

Ricky, is it a money thing with the drysuit or are you really worried about task loading? You don't have to answer that question but please think about it. Renting a wetsuit would let you get out in the water and see just how cold it is without spending a lot of money. After a couple of experiences you will probably want a drysuit, which you can also rent with a certification. There is nothing wrong with buying a used drysuit. I got over 250 dives out of one of my old drysuits. FWIW my partner started in a drysuit during her certification, or she would have never dove locally.

Back
Top Bottom