GUE and Sidemount position ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z system reminds me of the Mares HUB.
images (18).jpg

If we're assuming that lost gas on the active bottle is the more likely issue, we're assuming we're diving a system that we don't know basic failure responses to, without the option of resolving the issue by way of methodology taught to rote since the OWD level - and on top of that, what, you're advocating instead that we opt for a solution that puts your other breathable bottle right smack next to all your deco bottles, forcing you to solo an impulsive, OOG gas-switch.

Wonderful. Number one killer of techies, right there.
You're literally without a working reg if that thing comes unplugged. Enter the OODA loop.

Its just a bad system all around.

You're literally without a working reg if that thing comes unplugged. Enter the OODA loop.

Its just a bad system all around.

You're describing a scenario where you have only one tank available. In that case, there's no difference from a single-tank roll-off on the up-line or any other gas interruption, whether backmount, indie or Z.

In the multiple tank domain, your argument is invalid as you'd be significantly better off with a gas interruption on Z than on individual singles, particularly when there's deco gasses involved.
The body of knowledge required to complete this exercise, as well as negotiating the simple issue in the scenario, is simple, covered in course curriculum, and well trained.

Out of curiosity, did you complete any training on the Z-system, at all, before landing on your conclusion about the system?

@Dan_P
On the Z system with just two tanks, one of them is shut off half the time, so in order to regain gas supply from the other, you have to turn the valve back on. That takes significantly more time than just grabbing the secondary under your chin *which is always there, and always accessible in traditional configs, whether backmount or sidemount. All but the most hypoxic gas mixes are still breathable during deco, and those are typically done on CCR's, at least by sane people that have any respect for their wallet... Going beyond 100m on open circuit is a bit ridiculous imo

On the Z-system, when you go to deco, do you unplug backgas and only leave the deco bottle plugged in, or do you leave one backgas bottle connected? In the first scenario you have to plug another one in, in the other, you have to either disconnect one or shut it's valve off, while opening the other. All of this vs. just grabbing the reg under your chin and breathing. I'll take option KISS thank you

You're describing a scenario where you have only one tank available. In that case, there's no difference from a single-tank roll-off on the up-line or any other gas interruption, whether backmount, indie or Z.

In the multiple tank domain, your argument is invalid as you'd be significantly better off with a gas interruption on Z than on individual singles, particularly when there's deco gasses involved.
The body of knowledge required to complete this exercise, as well as negotiating the simple issue in the scenario, is simple, covered in course curriculum, and well trained.

Out of curiosity, did you complete any training on the Z-system, at all, before landing on your conclusion about the system?
Even with two tanks the other one is turned off. You've gotta fiddle to get something going. Not the case with normal SM or BM. So no, you aren't "better off". Normal config has the tanks on and good to go.

Even in the video AG's "solution" to something like a hose rupture is to rummage in your pocket to get out a 2nd stage and plug it in. Come on man. Really?

Lol no, I wouldn't touch that nonsense with a 10ft pole. I can engage my noggin and see that its baloney without giving some joker my money and a few days of my time. I don't need "training" to evaluate a nonsensical diving system.

@Dan_P

On the Z-system, when you go to deco, do you unplug backgas and only leave the deco bottle plugged in, or do you leave one backgas bottle connected? In the first scenario you have to plug another one in, in the other, you have to either disconnect one or shut it's valve off, while opening the other. All of this vs. just grabbing the reg under your chin and breathing. I'll take option KISS thank you

Horrifying strokery.

I hope that's not the procedure, but I sure wouldn't be surprised.

they sell a deco/stage kit that is qc6 and hp hose only, so either way the intent is to plug it into the manifold. I haven't checked to see what their procedure is but it's one of the two

Lol no, I wouldn't touch that nonsense with a 10ft pole. I can engage my noggin and see that its baloney without giving some joker my money and a few days of my time. I don't need "training" to evaluate a nonsensical diving system.

I solely ask to establish whether you know the Z-system because that's the subject at hand.

I solely ask to establish whether you know the Z-system because that's the subject at hand.

Lol no, I wouldn't touch that nonsense with a 10ft pole. I can engage my noggin and see that its baloney without giving some joker my money and a few days of my time. I don't need "training" to evaluate a nonsensical diving system

I think I have a handle on it.
--------
The point is:
As a means to an end, it will be interesting to see how much more simple or ingenious GUE's sidemount reg solution will be (or will it be just as "complex" & "nonsensical" as UTD's QC6/IsoManifold Z-system?) in keeping the DIR Primary Long Hose Paradigm consistent across all UBA platforms -backmount to sidemount; OC, RB80 & JJCCR.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom