Grrr - Leaky Pelican Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The case under discussion isn't the typical Pelican case we all love and rely upon. It's a very small case designed for light duty use to protect against slashes and is not intended for swimming or immersion.
Some Plelican boxes are more Pelican than others? :confused: "slashes"...? I guess the 1050 is the most commonly seen. sold with the Analox O2 analyzer, and my 1050 & 1060 boxes have passed 4" immersion tests. I loaned this one to my soninlaw in part to carry the pickup key on a float trip not much wetter than many Cozumel panga trips, fortunately suggesting he leave the electronic clicker in the truck.

Pelican boxes are often suggested to keep non-diving cameras dry on boats and the 1015 is sold for smart phones. I'm glad his droid wouldn't fit, but he didn't like his snuff wet. Yeah, I see that the micro boxes are advertised as "water resistant" but "not for swimming or immersion," but I see a 4" test failure as a fail.

The o-ring is essentially the yellow rubbery liner. Run some o-ring grease on it.

I have seen immersions of 5+ feet. Maybe it's just dumb luck.
I think I'd rather try a plastic peanut butter jar than risk getting grease on a land camera.

It is possible there was grit on the sealing surface. Or something indented it just enough.

It is possible there was grit on the sealing surface. Or something indented it just enough.
Not that I noticed.

I think I'd rather try a plastic peanut butter jar than risk getting grease on a land camera.

use your finger to put a little vaseline on the lip, then wipe it off with a tissue... you won't get 'grease' on the camera

The one's from wallyworld are fine... My big pelican that I use for my laptop has been thru, well pretty much you name it.. including being washed overboard and floating around for about ten min while I did the chinese panic firedrill getting to the boat hook to retrieve it. You can always go directly to the company to purchase items much cheaper than retail.

I did the chinese panic firedrill getting to the boat hook to retrieve it.
A few months ago, we took 3 exchange students from Thailand, Korea, and China camping with us. I'm not very racially minded so on a hike break, I mentioned their "Chinese fire drill" of getting organized. They all looked at me funny. :silly:

.... I mentioned their "Chinese fire drill" of getting organized. They all looked at me funny. :silly:

They looked at you funny because your camera was covered with PB&J :wink:

Wait for it at 1:12

O-rings on Pelican cases are like o-rings on an underwater camera case. They are not maintenance-free.

If you want your Pelican case to be waterproof then you've got to diligently maintain and inspect the o-ring every time you close the case.

Something to test every year less you lose something valuable. I loaned my 1020 box to my soninlaw for a tube float trip last week, and he may have taken a spill - we had a few, but it never got over a foot deep. It did leak tho; lucky he didn't have a camera or phone in it. I've since tested all 3 of my Pelican box, and this is the only 1 - but confirmed.

It was a gift from an old GF so the lifetime guarantee is not very appealing. $5.55 to mail it in vs $12 to buy another one. :idk: Or I may look at this one in my local Wallyworld for less than the postage would cost. I'll make this one LEAKER and use it for crush protection I guess.

:headscratch:

from Pelican Products 1020 Micro Case

NOT FOR SWIMMING OR SUBMERGING

[snip]
Water resistant, crushproof, and dust proof
<------- doesn't say "WATER PROOF"

and just for good measure.... it says

Rubber liner for extra protection doubles as o-ring seal

btw... I've got this same case. It works great for putting my cell phone in to keep rain, sand, and boat spray off it. But I would NEVER trust it as protecting something from submerging.

Ok ok, good that I didn't waste money mailing it in. But they have been overrated in discussions here.

And the Analox analyzers are save since they are water resistant.

.... But they have been overrated in discussions here.

Yes indeed. Pelican cases do serve a purpose, but not many real, practical uses for diving or dive travel.

I am always amazed at how many get dragged into airline cabins on the way to a tropical destination. Just makes no sense.

Then the never ending discussions as to how they will work for taking your cell phone, drivers license and cash on the dive.

I keep my cigars in one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom