Grrr - Leaky Pelican Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Something to test every year less you lose something valuable. I loaned my 1020 box to my soninlaw for a tube float trip last week, and he may have taken a spill - we had a few, but it never got over a foot deep. It did leak tho; lucky he didn't have a camera or phone in it. I've since tested all 3 of my Pelican box, and this is the only 1 - but confirmed.

It was a gift from an old GF so the lifetime guarantee is not very appealing. $5.55 to mail it in vs $12 to buy another one. :idk: Or I may look at this one in my local Wallyworld for less than the postage would cost. I'll make this one LEAKER and use it for crush protection I guess.

Pelican Micro Cases such as the 1020 are marketed as Water Resistant. They aren't made for submersion unfortunately and they don't always keep their seal forever.

I myself have dunked my 1060 in the rinse tub many times and it always came out dry on the inside. On the other hand the one time I've taken it submerged, I was wading towards the pump boat that would take me to the dive site. The box was being splashed by the waves repeatedly and probably got dunked a few times as the waves crashed overhead; it flooded. Good thing it was just a save a dive kit.

This failed at 4 inches. Hell, my cell phone is good to 3 feet. I just ordered 2 of the $4 boxes - 1 for me, 1 for the soninlaw. I'll keep this one for crush protection only and test all boxes yearly. :wink:

They work much more reliably if you grease the o-rings.

I use pelican's extensively out here on the road, and they never leak. Look at the warranty on them, they are guaranteed against everything but shark attack, bear attacks, and children under 5. Now what the hell a 5 year old can do to a Peli that only a bear and shark can, I don't know, but these things are pretty much bullet proof (watched a few get ran over by trucks, dropped out of truss, and caught under hydraulic lifts, still work fine).

The case under discussion isn't the typical Pelican case we all love and rely upon. It's a very small case designed for light duty use to protect against slashes and is not intended for swimming or immersion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom