Grouper Conservation in the Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This Mycteroperca tigris from Little agrees there should be continued and expanded Grouper protection!

34033731520_795cef423a_z.jpg

We saw a Goliath hanging out under a ledge at the western end of the miniwall at Anne's Attic on LC last August. He still had a lobster antennae hanging out of his mouth. It was easily 5 feet long...maybe larger. I have a video somewhere taken from a distance showing a 4 other smaller groupers of different species hanging around in front of the Goliath.

At best we saw a two footer on our dives.. I tickled his chin :)

what a coincidence.....my wife and i were just talking about maybe planning a trip to grand cayman. she has never been. i dd my IE there a few years back and have wanted to return for the shore diving.

when i was there, it was mentioned to me at that time, that many of the residence and vacation divers, were asking new visitors to refrain from ordering grouper in the local restaurants. i was told that the population was under a lot of stress and if people stopped requesting it then there would be no market for this fish. makes sense right ?

the problem is, if you have ever eaten grouper you already know it is one of the best tasting fish around. at least in my experience it is. so sadly, after i finished my delicious grouper tacos, i did go along with what was asked of me and i did not order it again. every little bit helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom