Grouper Conservation in the Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of the things that I love most about diving in the Cayman Sister Islands of Brac and Little is the chance to observe and even slightly interact with the resident Grouper populations, but in my experience Groupers are much less frequently encountered around Grand Cayman.

The article below reports on Caymanian efforts to conserve Groupers and increase their population and I am happy to read that they are working to support and protect this important sepies and the reef environment.

Grouper Moon project rises again | Cayman Compass

Saw a few Goliaths a few month ago at the Kittiwake.

IMG_2455.JPG

This is a good start but it would be even better if the fishing was reduced to zero off GC rather than just closed for a few months a year.

I saw a Goliath off Macabuca/Turtle Reef last year - it was my first.

I see groupers pretty regularly on my GC dives. Maybe I am just lucky...

Wow, have never seen a Goliath Grouper in the Cayman Islands in 14 visits. I see them all the time in SE Florida.

We saw a goliath grouper off Little Cayman a couple of years ago, but they have not been common in my experience.

Saw a bunch last year off of LC! Monster ones!

I've only seen a few Goliaths in the Caymans over the years. One each at Cumbers Caves, Oro Verde and Turtle Reef. Always a cause for celebration.

Check out the size of this unfortunate fish. The fisherman might be familiar as well.
09-1600a.gif

I generally see a Goliath grouper or two when I go to the Brac. But other grouper species are much more comman like the tiger, yellowfin and the personable Nassau groupers. Over the years, it seems as if groupers are getting more common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom