Group Dive September 17th or 24th

So what is the best day for the Group Dive with Cape Fear Divers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one have any objection to setting this up as a 3 tank dive if I can do that?

Hi Linda and all--I have been meaning to contribute a couple of thoughts here, at Linda's request.

Thanks for the nice post, Tom, about the City of Houston dives. I enjoyed the heck out of that trip too, and enjoyed having you on the trip

Regarding dates, either is fine with us. We do have the N.C. Aquarium people coming also on the 17th, for an Ocean Conservancy-sponsored dive-site clean-up trip. They want to hit a couple of the artificial reefs, which should work fine with ya'll--the Markham and Hyde or Hyde and Stone or something like that is what they have in mind. Those wrecks would fit nicely with the intention of this group, as i understand it, to dive medium-depth sites that are still good dives. The Hyde is one of our customer favorites. Whether the clean-up/conservation/public service aspect of this dive appeals to you, as it does to me, or not is up to you. It is not required for everyone who dives with us that day to do clean-up, in fact no pressure at all, so i don't see it as a negative for you, but perhaps a positive if that sort of thing appeals.

If you want to do a three tanker, that is cool with us. You might want to go with the 24th in that case, as it is unbooked at this point and easier to let you get creative that date. We are doing a three tanker on the Gill on the 10th, so will have any additional logisitcs under control by the time ya'll come. If the group gets set on the three tanker, and prefers the 17th, i'll call the guy who set up the clean-up dives and see if he's willing to change.

Regarding sites, i've made some comments above about the Hyde. The Markham is also a neat dive. The Stone likewise. The Gill is one of my personal favorites. The Gill is deeper, but still only about 90' However, it is more broken up, so you pretty much have to be at least 75' deep to have a good dive. The Hyde and Markham, by contrast, are newer and are intact, providing about 30' of relief off an 80' bottom, so you can have a decent dive at only 50-60' (But the Gill has the cool history of haivng been sunk by a U-Boat in WW2). Frying Pan Tower is another choice re middle depth--in fact, it's pretty shallow at only 45-50' to the bottom. However, the downsides there are a current that ranges from mild to dangerous (we had to call off one set of dives there after traveling all the way out there because the current was too strong) and the fish life has dropped off as the water has warmed up. It was spectacular in May and June, just average now. (May pick back up by September?)

Trip length and price (for two tank dive): Hyde/Markham is shortest trip of these suggestions, $85. Gill/Hyde or Gill/Markham is about a half hour longer each way, $95. Frying Pan Tower is over twice as long travel time as the Hyde, $115 (yes, it's underpriced). Add about 35-40% to make it a three-tanker, depending on what combination of sites you choose (I'll have to talk price with your leader once you know what you want). Estimated time back at the dock for two tank trip, respectively: 2-2:30; 3-3:30; 5:00-6:00. City of Houston is another choice i'll mention, since you've read Tom and me raving about it. It's a longer trip yet (nearly an hour longer than the Tower), is at about 90', and would be priced at $125 to 135, depending on whether we did both dives there, or one there and one closer in. I'd be reluctant to schedule three tanks there or the Tower--it's just too long a day.

Whew! That's a lot of info, but i like people to make informed choices.

Let me know as soon as you know, so we can lock in. Have a great time in Hawaii, Linda!!

Jim

Okay all, since I am trying to get this going, I guess that makes me the leader, but please don't follow me under water as you will get lost.

Looks like by numbers right now the 24th is the best bet and gives us some flexability for a 3 tank dive (we are already out there why not make a day of it)! Tom already stated its good with him anyone else?

Remember I want to post details before I jet off to Hawaii Friday morning and leave my access to the Internet behind.

I will try calling Jim again later.

LindaBlueD

I would love to join in on this dive.(If setup on the 24th) I'm new to this board but I'm sure that I have met a few of you. I met Linda at the shop a few weeks ago and again at BlueStone this past Sunday.

I will try to get my daughter to dive as well but not sure that she will be ready for a boat trip.( I know a 3 tank dive is too much for her) I'm taking her on her first ocean dive Sept 3rd and her AOW finishes on Sept 11th. If she don't go i'll need a buddy.

Yup, made it back safely, got in with a group of about five cars and well... :wink: better not to say what the average speed was... :D

Big Thanks to Jim and Crew, it was an awesome time!

I finally made it to the Deck House as well, a little tuna with crab and red pepper sauce :11ztongue Amazing stuff!!!

I am not great at trip reports, I will say that both CapeFear and Aquatic Safaris run a first class operation and are an excellent alternative to the usual Morehead City thing.

The City of Houston was incredible!!! It was hard to know whether to dig, or take pictures, it was definately one of those dives that is over too soon!!!

It reminded me sooo much of the Caribbean, but with artifacts! LOL... Next time Tom, I will bring a crow bar and hammer! :wink:

My vote, depending on conditions of course, would be the City of Houston, though all the dives I did that weekend were great, so no worries whatever the group decides.

I was pretty sure I saw Linda as well on the other boat, LOL... When I mentioned it to Tom he wanted me to yell across to her, but yelling like that isn't really my thing... :unsure: Sorry Linda.

Ken

Bob_B:
I would love to join in on this dive.(If setup on the 24th) I'm new to this board but I'm sure that I have met a few of you. I met Linda at the shop a few weeks ago and again at BlueStone this past Sunday.

I will try to get my daughter to dive as well but not sure that she will be ready for a boat trip.( I know a 3 tank dive is too much for her) I'm taking her on her first ocean dive Sept 3rd and her AOW finishes on Sept 11th. If she don't go i'll need a buddy.

Bob,

It was not me you met in a dive shop or at Bluestone, must have been someone else. I was only at Bluestone once and that was about 5 years ago. We would love to have you join us. If your daughter does not come there will be pleanty of buddies....

Ken,

I think I may have seen you as well, but my eyes aren't what they were when I was 20, and you should have had Tom yell, I was sort of thinking the same thing myself. Yell across the water. Tom tells me Jim came to Tuck's boat to check it out. Then there was that other boat in between the two great looking ones.....

Okay, the dive will be the 24th. I think it is up to me 2 tanks or 3, as much as I would love to do a 3 tank dive, maybe since I have never arranged a trip like this before and am quite clueless combined with the fact I am on a plane and out of here Friday for a week we will go with 2 tanks. If this works we can do 3 the next time. :D

I will get with Jim on the sites, I would love to do 2 different sites. Also as great as the City of Houston was I think that is really more of an advanced dive and I want to keep it as open to everyone as possible. When you get right down to it City of Houston has 3 depths, 93', 88' and if you hang out around the tower you area at 70' at the top. The current was ripping there by the way (at 70').

I can do the 24th but I'm waiting to get a general price range before committing fully. I'm making the last payment on my October Roatan trip, which will take a huge chunk of the finances.

Have fun in Hawaiia Linda, you lucky dolphin you.

Both about the City of Houston being an advanced dive, and having Tom yell instead of me :D

I thought about that after I posted... Much better to pick something that people just getting their feet wet in NC diving will enjoy. It is amazing diving right next door!!!!

As I mentioned, no worries here, just happy to be in the ocean. :banana:

Have fun in Hawaii!

Ken

Linda,

for simplicity sake, and to avoid what happened with that wreckmaniac guy, maybe Jim would just set the dives up (wherever you want to go on the 24th), and then tell everyone to sign up themselves for the trip on the 24th via Jim's website. The website was pretty easy to purchase the trip from last weekend. You just go to the day you want to sign up for, scroll down to the trip and boom....you are on the way.

24th 2-tank dive......sounds like the plan. For variety sake....Hyde/Dredge or Hyde/Stone or Hyde/Pocohontas

Or we can dive the Markham first, but the Markham sits on her side, and doesn't have as much relief at most points as does the Hyde.

The Hyde lies in 80 fsw, but decks at 55. Dredge, Stone, and Pocohontas lie in 65 fsw in close proximity to each other. Decks vary, but come at shallow as 48 fsw.

The Hyde is usually big for Sandtigers, but Kwickert said that he didn't see any this last weekend on her. All of these wrecks should be great for newer or nervous divers.
Easy navigation.....even you shouldn't get lost.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom