Grey/Silver Fins = Bait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jquest1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first set of fins (open heel, for scuba moreso than snorkling). I'm sold on the split fin idea, bar none, and I don't want to get into another thread about split vs. straight as there appear to many in the archives. My questions concern color and sizing.

I am currently looking at 4 different fins, based on several good reveiws. The Oceanic V-12 (available at local shop), the Tusa X-pert zoom (available at local shop), the Apollo Bio-fin pros, and the Atomic splitfin.

I really like the reviews I've read on the atomic splitfin, especially the opinions that it's a comfortable fin that will better fit a somewhat wide foot, plus it is open-toed and reportadly a tad bit stiffer and lighter than the Bio-fins. If I can find a good price, I will get this fin.

Being a bit of a fashionista, I also think the silver/grey fins would go well with my suit (strikes a pose - blue steel!). BUT - I'm concerned these would make me look a bit too much like bait! Is this a valid concern of mine, or should I just go with the color I like? I also heard some companies have colors dicerning stiffness - is this the case with the atomics?

I have a pair of silver & black Tusa Xpert Zooms & a silver & black pair of Mares Quattros and I haven't been eaten yet. But there is always tomorrow. :D

I don't know about the Atomics, but on the Tusa Zpert Zooms the solid black versions are made from a different compound that is slightly stiffer then the colored versions.

To any fish that wants to eat you, I don't think color is an option.

There was some evidence that sharks are attracted to yellow. Baraccuda are allegedly attracted to shiny objects.

I don't think the color of find makes that much difference. Hunters are probably more attracted to shape and movement than color, anyway.

Jeff

Just where do you plan on diving? Guadalupe Island?

Dave

I think your ok, but if you get bit, let me know. I have the blue steel Bare suit also. I thought that a Seal costume was all black.

TOM

Eh I just feel like shiny fins flapping around in the water, especially as split-fins go, would sure look allot like some of the shiny lures found in a tackle box. Getting my legs chomped off by a shark isn't my idea of fun.

Don't worry about it. It's silver paint on plastic, not chrome. Nowhere near shiny enough to make a difference.

For the record, I prefer the Bio-Fin XTs to the Atomics, although both are good and it was a close call. I recommend trying both in the water before plunking down a not-insignificant amount of dough.

Back
Top Bottom