Greetings from Antarctica (really)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by g2

Where is that article I kept hearing about underwater communications? Neat stuff. I hadn't thought much about it before, but now I can see it has some interesting possibilities, especially for safety reasons.

Here it is for those whom haven't seen it.

Wow! with viz like that it must be like diving in thin air. You just made me add one more thing to do on my "To do before I die List" :)

And they say us Canadians dive in cold stuff. I think you got us beat if you dive down there! Good to hear there are divers just about anywhere. Welcome to one of the best places I've found to spend SI.

Wow! Must agree with Mario, that it is one of those things to add to the 'to do' list.

I have a question for you though... -2C...isn't that ice?

Gosh, this is neat. A discussion group with people who really want to talk about things!

Kane - Yep, -2C is usually ice, except the salinity keeps it from freezing. But it really, really *wants* to freeze. So any kind of nucleation point (i.e., something for an ice crystal to grow on) quickly becomes iced up. There's something about the pressure, I think, that prevents deep things from freezing. I dunno why.

Mario - The one thing you didn't mention in the underwater comms article is how everybody starts talking like Alvin the Chipmunk at depth (at least, they do in a recompression chamber). So much for sounding manly while diving... :) Try whistling the next time you use one.

Scubakat and syruss32 - Hmmm, I have lots of above-water pics but not many below. The best I can offer is the "Diving Under the Ice" website, with some of Norbert Wu's ("call me Norb") pictures, http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/ He came down here again this past year and did some filming for an IMAX feature. I enjoyed pestering him with stupid questions about where his favorite dive locations were, etc. Be sure to check out the field guide -- a lot of the sea creatures here are totally bizarre. Most don't have common names other than something like "One Of Those Spider Things That Looks Like The Face Sucker In Alien."

Cheers,

g2

g2
(Picture-woman with her mouth hanging open, eyes round as circles with her arms crossing over and rubbing her arms for warmth even though she's in 93 degree Texas weather)...THE ANTARCTIC?! AMAZING? How did you get there? Where (as in location on the map) did you come from? Tell us more of your interesting surroundings, please?

g2, that only happens in an O2 rich environment. The gas medium has a different density that affects your voice. Which won't happen on standard scuba because we are still breathing regular, plain-jane air (approx 21%).

Thanks Mario, that makes sense. I'll bet if you went deep enough on plain air the PO2 would have the chipmunk effect.

Hi scubadweeb! I'll take some of that hot Texas weather for a change.

As fas as how I got here... Like a lot of folks, I found myself burned out and working at a dead-end job for years. Had to do something, anything, to break free of that rat race of hour-long commutes and shopping mauls. Found out about the Antarctic program and started applying. It took a couple tries, but finally wedged a foot in the door six years ago.... and I've been coming back ever since.

I was living in Colorado before doing this, but now I'm just kind of wandering the world when I'm not on the ice. To get here you have to come down through South America, or more commonly through New Zealand, so on the way home it makes sense to do some vacation traveling. This year I'm going to stop off in Fiji.

The surroundings are, well, ice, rocks and mountains. It's really very pretty. The station is kind of ugly; functional but not aesthetically pleasing. It's just a job, but a fun one!

g2

You may have already answered this but what exactly do you do there? You've probably saved enough to buy a dive store by now eh! :wink:

I'm the station science technician. Scientists come down and set up their experiments, but they don't want to hang around for months collecting the data. So they hand off the projects to me, and I send them the data and maintain the instruments.

It's cool because it gives me a lot of exposure to a variety of different science projects. For instance, I'm monitoring the ozone hole, looking for volcanic eruptions, and measuring auroras, just to name a few.

Most of the other folks on station right now are support staff of one sort or another, cooks, mechanics, carpenters, etc. Once the austral summer kicks into full swing we'll see a lot more science groups show up.

g2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom