Greater Vancouver Area Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If by today you were meaning Monday then I guess it's too late if you were thinking Tuesday then maybe, drop me an email or VM. The weekend is better for diving though!

This Saturday April 2 is the Shipwecks 2005 conference!

Dave B. and a bunch of other cool divers are sure to be there! Cost? How much do you got? Seriously though $35 for non UASBC members $30 for members day or evening and dinner (double it for both the day and evening)

The Swordfish dive didn't happen due to very rough water, we did do a cool shore dive over on the island though!

Yes, I know weekends are generally better to get buddies. But some of us had Easter Monday off and I hoped there were others wanting to get a few dives in.

Sorry to hear about the Sowrdfish dive getting scraped. I do like Victoria for their shore dives. What sites did you go to? A friend of mine was at the breakwater trying out his new DPV and said it was a great dive.

SpawnOfZena:
Sorry to hear about the Sowrdfish dive getting scraped. I do like Victoria for their shore dives. What sites did you go to? A friend of mine was at the breakwater trying out his new DPV and said it was a great dive.

He wouldn't happen to have a Seadoo Sea Scooter would he? I saw a guy on Sunday at Gyro Park with one. I figured it must have been new because not many people would use a DPV on a 20ft deep easter egg hunt dive. :D

Monday I was at the Aqarium doing volunteer show dives. Something I encourage everybody to try. For those that are interested or curious contact the volunteer department.

Vancouver Island is full of awesome dive sites and the one I did was cool to! I seen lots of Lings egg masses, all the other assorted marine life and tested out my camera. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the dive site and I don't have the Island dive guide beside me!

Anyhow I should be in the water Sunday with a good sized group some people having fun doing advanced training and some people just having fun. Location? Not 100% set yet. Probably somewhere non ferry maybe even fresh if the vis is garbage everywhere else.

What to do tomorrow...

SHIPWRECKS 2005

Mediterranean Shipwrecks
and other shipwreck stories from the Pacific Northwest

the Best Western Chateau Granville Hotel in Vancouver
SATURDAY APRIL 2, 2005 Day and Evening Conference

Dr. Hector Williams. Ships of the Late Roman Empire. Description: A look at the archaeological and iconographic evidence for ships in the fourth and fifth centuries after Christ
Erik de Bruijn. Romans, Wrecks, and the Rhodian Sea-Law: Evidence for Salvage Diving in the Ancient World. Description: Guilds of Roman breath-hold divers existed in major port cities of the Empire. Textual and archaeological evidence indicate that such divers were engaged not just in fisheries for sponge, coral, and other marine resources, but also in the salvage of valuable cargo from shallow-water wrecks.

Dr. Thomas Hikade. Ships of Predynastic Egypt. Description: A presentation of the ships of the Nile valley before the age of the Pharaohs (ca. 3000 BC); based on an examination of paintings, petroglyphs and archaeological evidence. Dr. Hikade teaches Egyptology at UBC and is co-director of the Hierakonpolis excavations in southern Egypt.

Joe Martin & David W. Griffiths. Tonquin Tales. Description: A First Nations' perspective on the loss of the Tonquin & a report from the Tonquin Foundation on their investigations. Joe Martin, (Nupit-tuch-chilth) is of the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation and David W. Griffiths is the Executive Director of the Tonquin Foundation.

Walter Jaccard. Deep-water Shipwrecks and Planes of the Seattle Area. Description: A review of recent Submerged Cultural Resources Exploration Team (www.scret.org) shipwreck and plane expeditions in the deep-waters around Seattle, including WW2 planes and steamers.

Eric & Bronwen Young. The Thompson Okanagan: Remnants of the Fresh Water Highway. Description: A brief historical overview of the region, including the SS Whitesmith, and the prospective projects for this new UASBC chapter.

Robyn Woodward. The Excavation of Sevilla la Nueva: An Early 16th Century Village on the Periphery of the Spanish Caribbean (or Rum & Fun in the Sun with the UASBC). Description: In 2002/04, archaeologists from SFU and UASBC found the sugar mill, sculptor's workshop and other craft industries within the urban landscape Sevilla la Nueva in St. Ann's Bay, Jamaica, which was the Spanish capital of the island from 1509 until it was abandoned in 1534.

Rob Rondeau. D/S Oldenburg Expedition 2005. Description: The only accessible German surface raider from either World War lies in fjord near Vadheim, Norway. This vessel was the most successful surface warship of all times sinking over 50 Allied vessels in WW1, including the CPR SS Mount Temple which carried Late Cretaceous dinosaur skeletons from Alberta.

And in the evening, the Keynote Speaker for the Annual Woodward Lecture is:

Dr. Cemal Pulak from the Texas A& M University Nautical Archaeology Program will present The Late Bronze Age Shipwreck at Uluburn, Turkey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conference to be held April 2, 2005 @ Best Western Chateau Granville Hotel 1100 Granville, Vancouver, BC

* Day Session: 8:30 am 4:30 pm.

* Evening Session: Dinner @ 6:30 pm followed by Keynote Speaker.

Separate Tickets for Day Session and Dinner/Keynote Speaker.

Each ticket @ $30 (UASBC members), $35 (non members).

For tickets please call 604-591-7292 or for more information visit our website at: www.uasbc.com Conference sponsored by Scuba Schools International, Canada

Anyone interested in Diving on April 10th with Jason and I? Location TBA...

Back
Top Bottom