Greater Tampa Bay Area XI 3/22/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected:
You were out at the Sheridan? I think I am going to cry. I love, love, love, that spot. How much viz do you think you had out there? So it was 64 down at about 70ft?

I was happy to get out yesterday. I desperately needed to get wet. I almost didn't do the second dive but am glad I did. There were less people crowding up the place and I got to goof around some. Diving was followed by lunch with good people; Mark, Eric, Matt, Dave, Johnny and Louis. Definitely a good day. Even GulfCoastDiver came out with his wife, who dives, and her daughter who also dives.

Gregg, I am not a huge fan of the springs, as most everyone knows. I just don't see the allure. I'd rather be seeing the fish/animals out in the big water and taking pics. That said, I always enjoy going out with the people from around here, no matter where it is. :)

The viz was great....probably 60 feet or better, and yes it was 64 degrees down at 70 ft. Which is extremely cold for me.....still a great dive....my first time at the sheridan.

As far as the springs go, that's what has motivated me to buy all my own stuff....so i would have quality equipment i could count on....i can't wait to be able to run a line into a cave someday.....

That being said, if anyone has a primary or backup reels for sale for a good price let me know. Also anyone familiar with cave and cavern, what strength of line should i be looking at? Also what length should i have for a primary and what length for a backup? Thanks for any advice...and my light for the cavern stuff will be in wednesday...dive rite 10 watt HID slim canister...

Saturday was great. Got to see a few SB'ers I havent seen in awhile. got to see what those algae eaters I used to have in my fish tank look like when they get to be full grown. the Blue Spring is pretty cool itself. Thank you eandiver for bringing your portable Sun to light up the ENTIRE entrance to the cavern. Looking at the only 2 bad things to happen to me that day in an optimistic light, I found out that when you knock 4 AL80's over they don't explode, and I found that I am able to keep myself from strangling the life out of my son when he tells me he has no idea where his Suunto dive computer went to after we drive the 1 1/2 hours home from the spring.

tampausmc:
That being said, if anyone has a primary or backup reels for sale for a good price let me know. Also anyone familiar with cave and cavern, what strength of line should i be looking at? Also what length should i have for a primary and what length for a backup? Thanks for any advice...and my light for the cavern stuff will be in wednesday...dive rite 10 watt HID slim canister...

There is a trade off between length and strength. The general rule is:

Primary reel
#24 line 400'-#36 line 250'
Safety reel
#24 line 140'-#36 line 90'
Gap (or finger spool) reel
#24 line 50'

The line is not used to pull your body along but as a touch contact to find your way in or out of an area in low vis situations or as a visual reference.

Good choice in primary light. Same as mine. A suggestion for your back up lights would be the UK 2L. If you make it up to Ginnie this weekend you are welcome to try out my Jasper style reels and I'm sure some of the others with conventional reels will do the same.

Welcome to the dark side:D

N@rco$i$:
I found that I am able to keep myself from strangling the life out of my son when he tells me he has no idea where his Suunto dive computer went to after we drive the 1 1/2 hours home from the spring.

Kids are expensive......new shoes, books, clothes, cars, dive computers:11:

I'm am going to be able to go on Sat. I am still not sure when or how I'm going. I may go up in my motorhome Friday night or drive up Sat morning. If I drive up Sat morning I'll car pool up there with you. Eandiver may want to pool with us as well. We'll have to get up real early if we pool with Eandiver.

I should know today or tomorrow what I am doing.

Matt

That'd be good....i can probably fit both of you....i drive a dodge durango but the back section is off limits cause of a speakerbox....i still have a good amount of room if i lay down the third row....

I'm all about saving gas money....or if someone else drives i have money on it.....

bigsmac:
We'll have to get up real early if we pool with Eandiver.

That's an understatement..............Generally I leave my house at 4:30AM, stop for something to eat and get there between 7:30 and 8. Usually leave for home between 1 and 2. Weird I know but then that's me. Just ask N@rco$i$.

If the times are OK with anyone they are more than welcome to ride up and back. I've got a Silverado extended cab PU with comfortable room for 3 in the cab and a ton of gear in the back. I may be stopping at Lloyd's dive shop in Gainesville on the way back too.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom