Greater Tampa Bay Area CHAT/OFF-TOPIC thread, take XVIII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on yer certification!

I'm looking forward to making that dive myself! BIG TIME! How'd it go?

Welcome to the boards!

- Boats

Thanks!!!

Went to Spanish Rocks(ish - it was a cert dive) off of Holmes Beach...

There was a bit of rush due to weather...

Thanks for the welcome...
Carolyn

We didn't actually make it out to the reef b/c of conditions.. Hence the (ish)..:sigh_2: Had to get all the necessities done... Did see alot of urchins and a ramora... Very cool for me since it's the first time I've gotten to see those things in 15' of water... Otherwise I was too focused on making sure I didn't fail on my 1st dive...

I can't wait to go back out again... Stupid storms...:(

Just a quick question...

Does every one feel like an idiot on their fist OW dive???

The instructors (we had 3 b/c they wanted us in & out fast due to weather) said I did great but needed to work on my fin skills..

I know I didn't do nearly as well as I did in the pool.. Is this normal??

Again, all in all I can't wait to go out again....

Your input would be greatly appreciated..

I did. I was ready to quit and never do it again. It sucked. The only reason I kept diving was because I wouldn't let it beat me. Then I went out on the second dive and thats the one that did it for me. I could relax because I didn't have to perform any skills or have someone watching my every move and it was great. Now I can't get enough of it. You will get there. If they said you did well then I'm sure you did. They are instructors so they probably know what their talking about. :wink:

Just a quick question...

Does every one feel like an idiot on their fist OW dive???

The instructors (we had 3 b/c they wanted us in & out fast due to weather) said I did great but needed to work on my fin skills..

I know I didn't do nearly as well as I did in the pool.. Is this normal??

Again, all in all I can't wait to go out again....

Your input would be greatly appreciated..

Yes, it's normal for most ow students to feel awkward on their first ow dives. You're no longer in a controlled environment, the wind, waves and the storm you faced only increase that anxiety and those out of control feelings. This experience will only serve to make you a better diver in the long run. Think about the dive, what you did, and how you could do it differently, and better. Evaluate yourself and the dive fairly, but don't beat yourself up over it. It sounds like you did well, considering the conditions of yesterday. Someday this will make a great story to tell to some fresh faced "newbie." Dive safely. :palmtree: Bob

Thanks for the replies and encouragement.. Glad to know it's normal..

I am really looking forward to my next dive when I can just dive and not have to struggle getting into my weight integrated system on the bottom... (a forward roll into it and others holding me on the bottom to keep me from floating up, I'm sure it was a sight) :rofl3:

Seeing urchins (all over where we were kneeling, amased I didn't get jabbed) and a ramora were very cool.. The jellie was cool too, until it stung my leg..

Thanks for the replies and encouragement.. Glad to know it's normal..

I am really looking forward to my next dive when I can just dive and not have to struggle getting into my weight integrated system on the bottom... (a forward roll into it and others holding me on the bottom to keep me from floating up, I'm sure it was a sight) :rofl3:

Seeing urchins (all over where we were kneeling, amased I didn't get jabbed) and a ramora were very cool.. The jellie was cool too, until it stung my leg..

Hey, you did great! I think even experienced divers have had a bad day! :blinking:

My first dive was interesting, I did not have enough weight. Instead of getting out of the water and getting things set-up proper, my instructor reached up, grabbed by BCD, and YANKED me down. Of course, I coudn't clear my ears, and my mask was knocked askew. :shakehead:

BUT, after that experience, I freaking loved it!

You saw some great stuff! And yer just getting started.

I've only been on these boards since the beginning of August, and I've met some wonderful people. Infact, I've dove with six or seven of them already! Try and make a "meet the group" outing, much fun!

Enough babbling!

-Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom