Greater Orlando Area Divers UNTIE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storzo:
He is fairly new, only diving on vacations the last three years so maybe like two times per year, I think they are two tank dives so does that count as four times? The only place he has been is in Mexico in the Gulf - Cancun, Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen.

He doesn't have any of his own equipment, except a mask and snorkle which he just might pack anyway so he and the kid can fool around in the pool.

He's never been on a wreck dive. I don't know if he'd want to. Well, I'm sure he would want to but maybe after a little more experience and is a special certification required for that?

Can I get by with this information? And I would need to know how long before or after flying does he need to wait.

Again, THANKS!!!
user_online.gif

I know where he can rent equiptment. But,,,, I seriously feel that your husband needs a refresher course before venturing out. Especially into our waters. We divers here in Florida take our sport seriously!:mooner: ! That said. WE DO NOT want your husband getting hurt!! Here or anywhere.. What are the dates your going to be here? What is the hubby's actual certification level? Who is the certifying agancy? Can you not let it be not so much of a surprise due to the risks involved? Depending on the dive, a minimum of 24 hrs is required after his last dive before flying? Were not trying to burts your bubble or ruin the surprise or hurt your feelings. We just want safe diving for everyone. As far as wreck diving? It is oh so clear your hubby does not have the needed experience for that kind of dive at this time so I wouldn't even mention it to him. Also, as LiteHeaded stated. the sharks at Epcot are hand fed, more timid than a tamed seal and they are NEVER hungry. Good luck

HarleyDiver_FL:
I know where he can rent equiptment. But,,,, I seriously feel that your husband needs a refresher course before venturing out. Especially into our waters. We divers here in Florida take our sport seriously!:mooner: ! That said. WE DO NOT want your husband getting hurt!! Here or anywhere.. What are the dates your going to be here? What is the hubby's actual certification level? Who is the certifying agancy? Can you not let it be not so much of a surprise due to the risks involved? Depending on the dive, a minimum of 24 hrs is required after his last dive before flying? Were not trying to burts your bubble or ruin the surprise or hurt your feelings. We just want safe diving for everyone. As far as wreck diving? It is oh so clear your hubby does not have the needed experience for that kind of dive at this time so I wouldn't even mention it to him. Also, as LiteHeaded stated. the sharks at Epcot are hand fed, more timid than a tamed seal and they are NEVER hungry. Good luck

I agree with the above.At the very least he needs a refresher.If he does not want to dive Epcot, try Sea World.They have a dive experience in a cage at the Shark Encounter exhibit.
Thry this link:
http://4adventure.com/SWF/sp_sharks_deep_dive.aspx
Basically you are in a cage with a dive helmet and the cage moves along a track in the tank in the encounter.
BTW check for pm

You guys are already runnin' peeps off? :rofl3: j/k I doubt he got a refresher before any of his last vacation dives. How about asking him? Let him know like the day before or so. If he is a bit uneasy he can have a DM go with him.

Missdirected:
You guys are already runnin' peeps off? :rofl3: j/k I doubt he got a refresher before any of his last vacation dives. How about asking him? Let him know like the day before or so. If he is a bit uneasy he can have a DM go with him.

i know - sheesh! maybe i was a little premature in saying it was a good idea to look over here for advice :D

regardless - we will get the hubby in the water, dont you worry!
have i told you to call ranger rick yet??? haha!!
do it! :)

dldiver:
i know - sheesh! maybe i was a little premature in saying it was a good idea to look over here for advice :D

regardless - we will get the hubby in the water, dont you worry!
have i told you to call ranger rick yet??? haha!!
do it! :)

It just that we don't want to hear/read about another diver dying. If you look into the text of her original message. Does it sound like the husband has the needed experience to just go somewhere, rent equiptment he isn't familiar with, jump in the water with people he doesn't know and have a safe diving experience. The least the man should to do is get a refresher course. Now, If we all were there or if he is diving with an instructor or DM, He could have a great time.:D We cut up a lot on here and have a fun time. Butt :mooner: you were right to send the wifey here for advise dldiver.. Sometimes the best advise isn't what people want to hear.

We never mean to run someone off:shakehead . We may drag them down and kick them a bit:rofl3: butt:mooner: we would NEVER run someone off:no :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

That said. Ask yourself. Would you feel comfortable if you were that man in this situation. (being afraid of tamed sharks:rofl3: ) geeez. lol

HarleyDiver_FL:

Hello!

I'm getting the feeling that it probably shouldn't be a surprise. I said that on the other thread and was advised to try here before making a final decision. I do not know his certification level, he was certified in Cancun by AquaWorld. He would probably welcome a refresher course he does take safety seriously and has never dived without a dive master/guide (is that correct?). We will be there August 20th to the 27th. I really appreciate all the help and advice.

dldiver:

Absolutely not. You did well sistuh! Your trying to assist visitors. All you can do is offer and make suggestions. Heck, if you give him 24 hrs notice... Most would be excited to go. As I said, he can hire a DM almost always at the last sec. You can give the shop a heads up. No biggie. Charters are in the business of making customers happy and comfortable :D I think his wife is being extremely thoughtful. As long as you leave all of his options open, you're good.

Storzo, he is an OW diver (Open Water). You can always let him know, say a day or two before, that you, knowing he loves diving, and being in FL it wouldn't be right for a diver not to dive, has made some loose tentative plans for him :) No big wrecks or anything like that. Perhaps just some mild reefs. Let him phone the shop and get more info. They will take of him :)

Storzo, he is an OW diver (Open Water). You can always let him know, say a day or two before, that you, knowing he loves diving, and being in FL it wouldn't be right for a diver not to dive, has made some loose tentative plans for him :) No big wrecks or anything like that. Perhaps just some mild reefs. Let him phone the shop and get more info. They will take of him :)

By shop do you mean this Ranger Rick or are there some others I should be looking at?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom