Great white shark (cage) diving - Farallon Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in the San Francisco Bay area for work in October, and one of my buddies who now lives there suggested this. Sounds like a doable day trip.

Has anyone done this type of diving before? Any advice?

I'm a bit worried because the operator does not require participants to be scuba-certified, because the air will be surface-supplied. There's no telling the number of ways the non-divers could ruin the experience for me. I can imagine them flailing around and generally thrashing (but then the sharks may think they're food, so it could be good, I don't know). It's also not cheap, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Thanks!

I don't know of ANY local divers who have chosen to do this trip.

The Farallon Marine Sanctuary rules prevent chumming and visibility is often problematic. That, combined with no type of guarantee that there will be any sharks to see and the high cost of trip, mean that locals aren't going.

We'd MUCH rather dive in Monterey or along the North Coast. More to see and do and less money to put at risk.

They can only attract GW useing rubber silouettes of seals..As fisheater said, viz is usually not good so chances are not good of seeing sharks?
October is a time when there are supposed to be more sharks in the area but its still not good odds.
Best to go to Isla Guadaloupe from San Diego..
Go on a Boat dive from Monterey..much more to see!

They can only attract GW useing rubber silouettes of seals..As fisheater said, viz is usually not good so chances are not good of seeing sharks?
October is a time when there are supposed to be more sharks in the area but its still not good odds.
Best to go to Isla Guadaloupe from San Diego..
Go on a Boat dive from Monterey..much more to see!

I thought they banned that in the Farallons. From the last report I read was that the sightings were sparse because luring them in wasn't allowed.

I thought they banned that in the Farallons. From the last report I read was that the sightings were sparse because luring them in wasn't allowed.

Looking at Peters link they say that decoys are permitted. i stand corrected.

Wait for the Monterey Bay Aquarium to get another white shark. You can bring your scuba mask into the building. There's a water fountain about 50ft from the big tank if you'd prefer to flood your mask a bit. :wink:

I did a shark dive to the Farallons once many years ago. They brought two cages and chummed---big 50 gallon drums of fish skeletons and dried blood. Fortunately I had a head cold and only caught a wiff of that once---I really pity the guy reaching into the bottom of the barrel to ladel that out!!!

Even with the chum no sharks were seen Saturday or Sunday. I wouldn't have missed it...but don't think I'd do it again either.

Back
Top Bottom