Great Lakes diving for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Marie13
Nice thread.
I would suggest taking advantage of an offer to get out of your BCD in the water to save your knees.
You simply inflate it, take it off and hold onto it until you are near the ladder and someone grabs it and you grab the ladder.

I have been canceled on stuff in the Ocean that was "just another day at the office" here on the Great Lakes. It isn't often you can attempt what you are saying. Somewhere in this threat was mention of wave period. They are quite challenging here....

YMMV

You ever look down from in the water at the helper standing on the swim platform as he is waiting for you to board? :fear:

Hate the fin on ladder. If there is a mermaid line there no reason not to take your fins off at the base in the water if that is what you prefer. Slip your fins over your arm and climb the ladder The boat will still be rocking when you get on board with your fins on and now you have to either walk with your fins on (stupid idea) or take them off at the top step.

It’s not a problem here in the Great Lakes and I prefer it. No struggling to get fins off while wearing dry suit.

If you walk over to the boat entrance point (swim platform or whatever), balance yourself and put your fins on, why would taking them off at the top of the step be a problem on the way out?

The OP is pretty good with the advice. I'm on the st Lawrence so you can dive 3 mil to 200+ feet here

3ml in August and September lol
This link to NOAA gives water temps at Alexandria Bay NY

Composite Plot

For example it’s 74F today in the river at A-bay, no thermocline either.

Here is a photo of me coming up from the Milwaukee Car Ferry in late August a couple of years ago. The wreck is in about 120 feet and the temp on the deck was around 50 degrees. We caught a great day with no current. The vis was absolutely stunning. I was doing my safety stop and you can see the top of the wreck at about 90 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 152
@Marie13
Nice thread.
I would suggest taking advantage of an offer to get out of your BCD in the water to save your knees.
You simply inflate it, take it off and hold onto it until you are near the ladder and someone grabs it and you grab the ladder.

I've only been out two days between this season and last that would allow me to do that comfortably. Frankly, I'm afraid of losing my Perdix. Always gets hung up when I'm getting out of my harness, so I'll just get the help up the ladder.

Here is a photo of me coming up from the Milwaukee Car Ferry in late August a couple of years ago. The wreck is in about 120 feet and the temp on the deck was around 50 degrees. We caught a great day with no current. The vis was absolutely stunning. I was doing my safety stop and you can see the top of the wreck at about 90 feet.

I'm doing the Milwaukee and the Willie off the Molly V in a couple of weeks.

I've only been out two days between this season and last that would allow me to do that comfortably. Frankly, I'm afraid of losing my Perdix. Always gets hung up when I'm getting out of my harness, so I'll just get the help up the ladder.

Know exactly what you mean - unclip a shoulder strap, chest clip, waist clip and finally last shoulder clip if you have to. Usually only unclipping the one shoulder strap makes it really easy to roll out of your BC, sometimes do both though - way easier on the lower back coming up the ladder for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom