Great Lakes diving for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.......This is my regular boat, DRIS' Sun Dog.........

I'm a weekly Florida diver..........But I own a drysuit and have dove Straits of Mackinac several times. I can handle the cold sting on my face, and love the carvings on the old wooden wrecks. Grew up in Chicago and family is still there for regular visits, but have never brought my dive bag with me.

What does DRIS Sun Dog charge for a 2 tank dive and do they rent steel nitrox tanks? Also how long is the run out to the dive site from Hammond IN?

I'm a weekly Florida diver..........But I own a drysuit and have dove Straits of Mackinac several times. I can handle the cold sting on my face, and love the carvings on the old wooden wrecks. Grew up in Chicago and family is still there for regular visits, but have never brought my dive bag with me.

What does DRIS Sun Dog charge for a 2 tank dive and do they rent steel nitrox tanks? Also how long is the run out to the dive site from Hammond IN?

The wrecks are in two groups. Closer in to Hammond are $110/2 tank. The ones further north off Chicago are $130/2 tank dive. The closer in wrecks are maybe 30 minutes boat trip at most. The Chicago ones are up to an hour's ride. The Wells Burt is in the $130 group.

You'll have to check with the shop on the rentals. Whatever gear you rent can be brought to the boat for for you. Costs $35 and they need 3 days advance notice. If you're traveling and don't want to worry about tanks, that's something nice.

Charter website: Scuba Dive Lake Huron and Lake Michigan | Great Lakes Wreck Diving

...and they need 3 days advance notice....
Thank you for the great information,,,I might jump on a June trip next year. It would be pretty special to dive the Chicago Skyline to me.

For someone who would be traveling to dive the Great Lakes wrecks, are there any options for a week of diving? I checked a bunch of different boat operators and most of the dives are Fridays and weekends only (pretty much what I expected as it's the same in my area). Not really looking at chartering a full boat at the moment.
I met Pete Mesley in Mexico earlier this year while cave diving and found out he runs a trip up there but it's almost $5k for 10 days :eek:

For someone who would be traveling to dive the Great Lakes wrecks, are there any options for a week of diving? I checked a bunch of different boat operators and most of the dives are Fridays and weekends only (pretty much what I expected as it's the same in my area). Not really looking at chartering a full boat at the moment.
I met Pete Mesley in Mexico earlier this year while cave diving and found out he runs a trip up there but it's almost $5k for 10 days :eek:

You must be referring to the Isle Royale liveaboard. I’ve heard it’s as expensive as heck.

Charters generally run Sat and Sun. Occasionally trips on a weekday around a holiday weekend, at least with the DRIS boats. Most shop trips seem to be a long weekend that I’ve seen. I really doubt you would get a week of diving without booking the entire boat. Sorry. It’s really primarily weekends as far as I can tell.

Sometimes people book during the week for a small group. Sometimes its private, sometimes it's open. Best to call ahead and ask the shop.

There are people who will go out during the week if something is scheduled. Its totally hit or miss though, a full week will be harder than a few days. It also depends on where the boat is going. There are some wrecks people have been on so many times they have less motivation to dive them.

THE MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! Do not dive unless you have a cold water reg!!! Either a sherwood first stage that bleeds air bubbles, or an oil filled first stage cap that transmit pressure and keep water out of the spring!!!! Learn to breathe from a free flow regulator first!! Can be done in a bathtub!

I witnessed a free flow at 80 ft when a student with brand new reg assummed that expensive means cold water proof. Wrong! It still needs an optional cold water kit installed. Only sherwood air leak system is freeze proof. Even then, be ready for it.

It gets a little different on the Eastern end of Erie.... About the only time you will see a DM is if the shop that booked the charter is providing them. Boats are "taxis". Maybe a small briefing if the mood is right. Crew will assist you suiting/kitting up. You are on your own for a plan. Yeah, fins on ladders, it is a way of life. If you get pitched off the ladder, you'll be wanting them.... Usually, the crew pulls them off you on the aft deck, and you can walk/stumble to your bench.

We too are "weekend warriors" unless you are a big group and made arrangements ahead to charter privately. Also, the dive schedule has basically become "shop trips" and there are seldom just open trips planned. You get on the list by scheduling through the shop, not the operator.

Equipment is rented from dive shops, not the charter operator.

here is "our guy": Osprey Charters

Back
Top Bottom