Great Lakes diving for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good catch on the cold water regs. I guess you like your Sherwoods. LOL.

My AquaLung cold water regs work fine. I see a lot of Apeks and ScubaPro. I’ve even seen Deep6 once or twice.

I may sell a certain brand of regulators, but many other from what I sell can make those dives without freezing up.

The OP is pretty good with the advice. I'm on the st Lawrence so you can dive 3 mil to 200+ feet here

THE MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! Do not dive unless you have a cold water reg!!! Either a sherwood first stage that bleeds air bubbles, or an oil filled first stage cap that transmit pressure and keep water out of the spring!!!! Learn to breathe from a free flow regulator first!! Can be done in a bathtub!
There are lots of brands that work extremely well. The most popular type is a diaphragm reg here. :)

I would add the following advice for wetsuit divers in the great lakes:
take your wetsuit off and dry off and change bathing suits between dives. It will help keep your core temperature up and you'll have a nicer second dive. If you won't do that at least drain your boots.

If you are prone to seasickness take your pills before you go. The lakes can be calm but then turn into a roller coaster in a deceptively short period of time.

When the boat captain cancels a charter because of weather or changes dive sites, don't be upset. It goes with the territory.

Oh, yes, forgot about the seasickness. I take mine the night before and morning of.

Scopolamine patches work soooooo much better than bonnie for me. Plus 1 patch is good for 3 to 4 days. Not cheap, but the only option for me.

@Marie13
Nice thread.
I would suggest taking advantage of an offer to get out of your BCD in the water to save your knees.
You simply inflate it, take it off and hold onto it until you are near the ladder and someone grabs it and you grab the ladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom