Great Florida Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobG

Reaction score
I have been looking through the posts and it looks like Sarasota (Venice) and Vero Beach have tons of great shore dives. Are these for the beginner (under 20 dives) or should I be looking for better areas? I have dove Blue Springs and Alexander Springs, but wanted to get back into the Ocean without having for for out $50+ for every dive on a boat.

So to the group, where would you send your friends to do a shore dive day trip?

Rob

Shore dive day trip, depends on if you want to dive a fish tank or not. For pet store fish tank look, most anywhere in Broward or Dade county :D

Other stuff.. Sarasota beaches are kinda cool (Manasota Key is cool), Venice Beach, Bradenton beach for the Sugar Barge.. etc.. :)

I don't believe there is any shore diving in Vero Beach...must go out a ways on a boat. If you want some serious shore diving, you need to come a little further south anywhere between Pompano Beach to Hollywood Beach. Laureldale by the Sea is quite a preferred site for most South Florida divers (Datura ave., or Hibiscus ave.)

Personally, I like Pompano over LBTS because the surface swim is shorter and the reff is quite as nice (and it's closer to my house :D). At any rate, any site within that portion of beach is good for beginners. Another place is the Blue Heron Bridge at Phill Foster Park in Riviera Beach (just south of Palm Beach Gardens). Here is info on that http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS06RF01.shtml

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Scubaguy62, I have never dove in Vero but a guy at work said that there is a long reef network 100-400 feet off shore that is 15 miles long or so.

jriderski:
Although if you are a newbie, I'd stay away from the Blue Heron Bridge.
Joe

Why's that?????? This is an extermely easy dive and if he times the tide correctly(just read the chart) He'll be sitting in bathwater with a viz average of 25-30, I've seen it as good as 50ft. Alot of juvi fish live there waiting to grow big enough to venture onward. I'm very curious as to why you think this isn't a dive for a newbie. After all, every student I've worked with to date has done their check out dives right there.
BTW, I'm sure there'll be another night dive coming soon to Phil Foster's (hint, hint) just keep an eye out for Scubakevdm's posts, everyone's always invited.

As for Vero Beach (30 minutes north of me) there are several beach dives, most about 200 yards off shore. There's also some right here in my neck of the woods as well, Fort Pierce area. I'm going to have to agree with Scubaguy62, it's alot prettier the futher south you go. I've seen more than a few peps from this area and Vero venture down for the day just to dive West Pal Beach and south of it.

CBulla:
Shore dive day trip, depends on if you want to dive a fish tank or not. For pet store fish tank look, most anywhere in Broward or Dade county :D

Other stuff.. Sarasota beaches are kinda cool (Manasota Key is cool), Venice Beach, Bradenton beach for the Sugar Barge.. etc.. :)

What's the vis typically like there? Also, any good spearfishing in that area?

beir:
What's the vis typically like there? Also, any good spearfishing in that area?

Jupiter is your place for spearfishing for sure.... there's some hot spots here to to bag some biggies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom