Grand Cayman--Need some advice about filming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks,

Some friends of mine are going to be in Grand Cayman in a week or so to film a segment on Stingray City for a non-profit educational show. We were hoping to get in another couple segments, but there is a problem--There is so much footage of reefs that has been done, that the only way to keep kids' attention for these pieces is to have a story that goes along with the footage.

Does anyone have any interesting sites that are more than just beautiful--ones that have a story that can be told at the same time?

All help is appreciated!
Divermatt

Matt, Tell your friend to come down to Sunset House. Ask the dive shop if there is anything that is "Hot" right now on island (manta ray sighting, hammerhead, etc). If all else fails, they can shoot the 9' Bronze Mermaid. Generally, the Atlantis Submarine is lurking around that can make for some very intersting footage and stories! Especially for kids! Good Luck!

Thanks! Does anyone know what the East End looks like? I haven't been in a few years, and back then there were a still a lot of devasted houses and signs of Ivan's Path. I was wondering if that was all cleaned up, or if a story could be pieced together about the lasting impact/reef recovery following such a devastating storm.

Thanks again
Matt

When we were there last spring, there was still visible damage and abandoned homes in the South Sound area and along the southern side of the island all the way out East. Many owners seem to have walked away from their property, especially those who were under-insured.

Have you considered Pedro St. James 'castle'? It is newly refurbished and has quite a bit of history behind it.

DS

There is the wreck of Doc Paulson, which is an artificial reef sank in his memory. I believe he was one of the first to introduce the Chamber to the dive community in Grand Cayman. The coral is really starting to show growth and the different fish that are now using the wreck is pretty interesting also you can leave the wreck to a reef and return. I did take a small video of the interior, when we were diving there. Jason at Ambassador Divers was the one that took us to the wreck last time we were there.
YouTube - Scuba dive Grand Cayman Video Doc Paulsen Wreck.AVI

Ian the "White" house is being renovated and supposedly is going to be turned into an Inn and restuarant,but who knows when any of that will be completed .

Ryshannon I dove the Doc paulson in September and it was a fun dive,lots of macro critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom