Grand Cayman dive boat breaks loose from mooring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What happened to the thread with pictures concerning the dive boat on the Northeast coast that broke free of its mooring and left divers to be rescued/picked up by another boat. Is this story just going to be suppressed/covered up?

Personally, I'm surprised this thread just disappeared.

Good diving, Craig

Curiouser and curiouser . . .

sorry guys, what was supposed to be a compliment on the professionalism of a dive operator could have gotten some people in trouble. I hope you understand.

Last edited:
Moorings break. It happens. Its happened to me on GCM before. One of the DMs ditched their gear and swam after the boat. Not a big dot deal.

In fact, if the dive Roombaguy was talking about was back in late September, it was probably the same dive I was on. Everyone was cool, zero drama.

sorry guys, what was supposed to be a compliment on the professionalism of a dive operator could have gotten some people in trouble. I hope you understand.

Thanks, seemed quite odd that I saw and responded to the post and then it was gone.

It appears the contentious issue is leaving someone on the boat. Under other circumstances such as brisk current and/or wind and no back up boat, the outcome could be different.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks, seemed quite odd that I saw and responded to the post and then it was gone.

It appears the contentious issue is leaving someone on the boat. Under other circumstances such as brisk current and/or wind and no back up boat, the outcome could be different.

Good diving, Craig

Coming in late on this story. Were all crew and passengers in the water? Was the DM culminating his dive when the line broke? If all divers has deco time the story could have been different I would suspect. No boat is ever left unattended in our gulfstream influenced waters, ever...

It happens. :(

Agreed. It clearly is contentious in the context of the bylaws of the Cayman Island Tourism Watersports Committe (CITA), which officially doesn't condone commercial dive operations from a dead boat. And deleting a post that reported on an occurrance doesn't magically mean that the event never happened.

There have been some fairly recent media reports within Cayman regarding this rule being not necessarily faithfully followed, which when enforcement was increased last year, resulted in some dialog regarding the policy, and if to change it or not.

Here's the URL: Cayman Islands - Cay Compass News Online - CITA queries look–out policy

IIRC, the unwritten part of the story was that small 6-pack operations were effectively where most of the "No Lookout" situation existed, and the scuttlebutt was that enforcement was giving them the blind eye, in pragmatic recognition of the size limitations (adding a bubblewatcher could very well make it a 5-pack...a 17% cut). The problem came about as this unofficial accomodation spread to larger operations as a simple (if IMO shortsighted) cost-cutting measure.

Ignoring all of the goodness of a topside overwatch in terms of dive safety and looking at it strictly from the perspective of protecting a businesses's capital investments, the question of the value of a topside watcher does have to also consider that there's a big difference between risking the loss of a $40K small sixpack and risking a $300K Pro48.

At a staff direct labor rate of $10/hour, a 3 hour AM dive conducted 200 times/year means that the cost of a second staffmember onboard is roughly $6K/year ... that's 2% of the value of the "big boat" investment. YMMV, but I'd consider that to be cheap insurance, particularly since its not really $6K - - its a lot less because it gets distributed across multiple value metrics, such as affording a higher level of customer service, as well as attending to the far-more-likely dive emergencies.

-hh

Last edited:
I don't so much have a problem with someone deleting his/her own posts but to be able to delete an entire thread is disconcerting.

The basic facts are that the dive vessel Eastern Skies, operated by Ocean Frontiers, was conducting a dive at the Black Rock dive site off the northeast end of Grand Cayman. Another vessel from Ocean Frontiers was diving a nearby site.

Reports from persons who went to assist indicate that no one was left aboard the vessel Eastern Skies while the dive was taking place. During the dive the mooring line broke in the section between the ball and the bottom of the sea. The unattended boat drifted to shore.

Staff from Tortuga Divers (the Red Sail operation at Morritts Tortuga Club) went by jet ski to assist. One was assisting divers who had surfaced to find the boat missing. She indicated that waves were breaking over the heads of the divers but they managed to stay together as a group and appeared to have secured themselves to whatever remained of the mooring line.

The other Tortuga Divers staff member went to attempt to take a line to the stricken vessel. In this process his hand was caught when a line tensioned as he was securing it. This resulted in injury to his hand which required surgical repair.

The Port Authority of the Cayman Islands regulations specify:
Coastal Water Regulations

There must be one person on board to act as a look-out when a vessel has divers or snorkelers in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom