Grand Cayman - A Couple Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is the best place to stay in Grand Cayman with diving in mind? I'm in the process of looking at hotels and what to be close to dive shops.

What are the best dive locations? I particularly like swim throughs, kinda like the Palancar Caves in Cozumel.

"Best place" is very subjective without any type of parameters to define "best". Therefore, I'll answer your other question.

The east of the island has some great swim-throughs. Some examples are The Maze, Iron Shore Gardens, Snapper Hole, and there are many more. Ocean Frontiers / Compass Point is a nice resort on the East End. The owners run a very nice operation; I used to work for them when I lived no GCM.

On the east end there are not as many operators which means diving on a divesite with a swim through is very likely. On the west end, there are many dive operators which means you may not get a divesite with a swim through because someone got there first. .

Also, the rum cakes on Cayman are really good. Good luck and have fun.

"I don't think you'll be able to get on a PM boat. They usually head out at 1pm. You could also do some afternoon shore diving on Friday after you get in if the sea isn't too rough. Macabuca is awesome, as is Lighthouse Point. We haven't dove the more southern shore spots around Sunset House but if it's rough up by Macabuca, it's usually doable down there. You could also do a shore sight or two in the PM then head out for a night dive, too. We like Macabuca as a night dive, as well."

As I said most of the small 6 packs will do 2T in the afternoon. Not for one person but they will do them. DNS leaves a bit earlier for dives, we leave a bit later so we get whatever we want. However, in all fairness there are so many dive sites that it is not a big deal unless we have a guest has one place that they really want to go. The big ops do 1T's in the afternoons and often do teaching, DSDs etc., then too. Small ops do not have to work on those schedules. Besides Big Tunnels there are lots of other swim throughs on the west side including Little Tunnels :) There are plenty of options so you will not be limited. Also with a small op they can customize the departure time in the afternoon (or morning) for that matter if there are no other guests, it is a private charter or the others agree. It happens all the time>

I didn't think he'd get a PM boat on Friday because he's landing at 11:45am, hence the reference to the 2T 1p departure. That's too quick of a departure with having to go through customs, get bags, get a car. If you can get a custom departure time then it would work, but the ops we've looked at mostly had a 1/1:30 afternoon departure.

given your schedule I would stay at of the (few) dive resorts, or accommodations that are at least well integrated with a dive op, which will save you learning the lay of the land and moving around too much. @KathyV laid those out pretty well back near the beginning of the thread. If you pick one that includes convenient shore diving, you could do a couple dives your first afternoon/evening on your schedule (Make sure you'e not tired dehydrated from the trip!) Unclear if your wife dives or you would need a buddy for shore diving?) AI might save you time too, but I think all the actual dive resorts will at least include breakfast. (Lots of good restaurants on Cayman.) Cobalt Coast and Compass Point have man-made beaches. Sunset House doesn't have a beach but there is lounging space at the pool on the water, and also an ocean pool.

What time of year is this trip?

"Best place" is very subjective without any type of parameters to define "best". Therefore, I'll answer your other question.

The east of the island has some great swim-throughs. Some examples are The Maze, Iron Shore Gardens, Snapper Hole, and there are many more. Ocean Frontiers / Compass Point is a nice resort on the East End. The owners run a very nice operation; I used to work for them when I lived no GCM.

On the east end there are not as many operators which means diving on a divesite with a swim through is very likely. On the west end, there are many dive operators which means you may not get a divesite with a swim through because someone got there first. .

Also, the rum cakes on Cayman are really good. Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the info.

given your schedule I would stay at of the (few) dive resorts, or accommodations that are at least well integrated with a dive op, which will save you learning the lay of the land and moving around too much. @KathyV laid those out pretty well back near the beginning of the thread. If you pick one that includes convenient shore diving, you could do a couple dives your first afternoon/evening on your schedule (Make sure you'e not tired dehydrated from the trip!) Unclear if your wife dives or you would need a buddy for shore diving?) AI might save you time too, but I think all the actual dive resorts will at least include breakfast. (Lots of good restaurants on Cayman.) Cobalt Coast and Compass Point have man-made beaches. Sunset House doesn't have a beach but there is lounging space at the pool on the water, and also an ocean pool. What time of year is this trip?

I agree, if we were only coming for a few days, we would look for something integrated and easy and with shore diving onsite so that dives could be worked into our schedule. @drrich2 uses the term "turnkey" to describe a dive vacation where everything is arranged for you and you only have to book flights and the resort or liveaboard - and I think that's a good description.

given your schedule I would stay at of the (few) dive resorts, or accommodations that are at least well integrated with a dive op, which will save you learning the lay of the land and moving around too much. @KathyV laid those out pretty well back near the beginning of the thread. If you pick one that includes convenient shore diving, you could do a couple dives your first afternoon/evening on your schedule (Make sure you'e not tired dehydrated from the trip!) Unclear if your wife dives or you would need a buddy for shore diving?) AI might save you time too, but I think all the actual dive resorts will at least include breakfast. (Lots of good restaurants on Cayman.) Cobalt Coast and Compass Point have man-made beaches. Sunset House doesn't have a beach but there is lounging space at the pool on the water, and also an ocean pool.

What time of year is this trip?
My wife dives. The trip is in a month.

I agree, if we were only coming for a few days, we would look for something integrated and easy and with shore diving onsite so that dives could be worked into our schedule. @drrich2 uses the term "turnkey" to describe a dive vacation where everything is arranged for you and you only have to book flights and the resort or liveaboard - and I think that's a good description.
@Lateralus

You have such a short time on the island and want to get in a lot of diving, this is good advice. Look into Cobalt Coast/Reef Divers. The resort is nice, recently redid A/C and renovated. Can be AI if you want or just some meals. Pretty sure Reef Divers offers afternoon 2 tank dives now. There is good shore diving from the resort. July is usually pretty calm, good access to North wall and fairly reliable shore diving.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing, Craig

mostly had a 1/1:30 afternoon departure.

Not trying to beleaguer the point, but we for instance do not always leave at 1. If we have people that want to go later (or earlier) we do that. That is the whole point about going with a small op. We have lots of regulars that come in on business. One guy comes pretty much straight from the airport. Gets his dives in the afternoon he arrives, works the next day and flies home. We are not the only ones. If you look at websites that is the general answer but if you ask, the ops try to be accommodating. Sometimes if we have no land based customers, we will take people from cruise ships (especially if they are regular customers who for some reason are cruising). We will always have to change leaving times in those instances. The 1 p.m. departure time is not written in stone just at the 8:30 a.m. morning time is not. For private charters, we will go whenever the guests want -- The generalizations are not true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom