Got my first ever DH reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
Purchased from a super kind SB member

Its a yoke, and I was also told there are some Mares din conversion kits that fit, but does anyone know what Mares model or regulator type I should look at (I am a newbie to DH diving)?

If anyone also has a din for kraken they are willing to part with, I would happily purchase it!

1689280666301.png

It may or it may not, there are 2 types of threads on the AK, the early ones had a standard US Diver thread (custom for USD) , the later ones had a metric thread. Which you have I can't tell just be looking at the photo .
To be honest, unless you have a really good reason for DIN, just stick with the yoke. Also, please understand diving a DH reg, new or old is different than diving a single hose reg. Proper reg placement in relationship to your body is very important. Most modern BCs do NOT work well with them due to less than ideal reg placement. Worn correctly the AK is unbeatable in performance, it out does Scubapro and Atomic but only if set up and dove correctly. Worn/setup incorrectly it won't harm you but it's performance can suffer greatly unlike a single hose reg that doesn't care how it's placed. Spend some time hunting information and learning about diving a DH reg, they are great, mostly what I dive but they are different. There are a number of us on this board and a couple others that have a lot of time diving a DH reg, ask questions.

It may or it may not, there are 2 types of threads on the AK, the early ones had a standard US Diver thread (custom for USD) , the later ones had a metric thread.
So I have the metric ones
Spend some time hunting information and learning about diving a DH reg, they are great, mostly what I dive but they are different. There are a number of us on this board and a couple others that have a lot of time diving a DH reg, ask questions.
Thank you for the info. I did a bunch of reading on dh regs (VDH forum, plus here on SB) so I think I am all set for a try dive. I have bpw set up, which does create some extra distance between my back and the reg, but should be manageable for a try dive.

A back plate, the bent doubles style, will just not work. It is not just the distance that the regulator is raised above your back but the very design and nature of a bent doubles plate forces the tank too far up on your back. The center of the DH regulator housing needs to be no higher than the midpoint of your shoulders which is much lower than I have ever seen a back plate position a tank. The can itself will run into the plate long before you get it low enough to center between your shoulders.

No higher than this:

The regulator will breath poorly if it is located away form your back and above the center line between your shoulders. It is physics and there is no way around it. You would need to have the doubles plate bottom edge located about midline of your derrière for the regulator to be centered on your shoulders and it would still be too far off your back.

@Nemrod i figured I would just push my tank as low as I can and roll with it for the first dive so I can at least try purging water from the reg etc

What about something like this? https://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Plastic-Heavy-Duty-Style-Backplate-2626
No bueno? I can chop the handle off from that bp to give more room for the reg

Any recommendations on where I can get a “dh certified bp”? Ideally I want it to be as light as possible for travel

Not that hard to make.

Always thought, soft back plates would be nice to travel with...

Attachments

• 20220531_132222.jpg
    20220531_132222.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 59
I have not seen these in person but they are very much similar to the original VDH plate:

Your Kraken is equipped with one way cage valves in the mouthpiece so the roll to clear is not needed, just exhale to purge the mouthpiece. You have a DSV type mouthpiece which is a dive/surface valve. You can close it while underwater to remove the mouthpiece and blow up a dsmb. Just have enough breath left to clear any water in the mouthpiece o_O.

I have successfully used my Oxy Ultralite plate with DH regs:

With a little adjustment I can get the tank and valve position correct and the soft upper portion of the plate self forms as needed to allow for the regulator housing.

Edit to add, the plastic plate minus the handle might could be made to work, I cannot say for sure.

Good luck, have fun.

Any recommendations on where I can get a “dh certified bp”? Ideally I want it to be as light as possible for travel
I have both VDH style plates, and plates I cut from a plastic cutting board.... If you want to cut your own I can send you my most current cutting board template. Here's the original in use with a tiny wing:
CanPlacement.jpg

Respectfully,

James

@Nemrod i figured I would just push my tank as low as I can and roll with it for the first dive so I can at least try purging water from the reg etc

What about something like this? Plastic Heavy Duty Style Backplate , Piranha Dive Shop |
No bueno? I can chop the handle off from that bp to give more room for the reg

It looks like you have a backpack that is curved, and not flat. See whether you can put the regulator lower than the handle. If so, I think you have solved this problem of positioning if this can be accomplished. I have a few harnesses which will allow the regulator box below the handle.

In the photo below, I’m wearing twin tanks, with a harness that allows the regulator be be low on the back. This is the “military harness” that U.S. Divers Company used for decades, and was/is still in use by the U.S. Navy. There is no backpack, and the doubles simply sit on your back. The harness is attached directly to the two bands, allowing the scuba to be lower on the back than many different types of harnesses. It is also very comfortable.

I’m also wearing a custom-built BC that I call the Para-Sea BC, which is not available on the market. But it is a front-mount design, with a parachute-style harness.

SeaRat

Attachments

• DSC00294.jpeg
    DSC00294.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 60
Whilst I mostly abide by the tenets of this particular bible

71a4e1879bf2dea7f28852919fb1fd9c (1).jpg

Being a 70s gear guy my bak pak full of lead shot performs very well

330 022a.jpg

Isn't it ironic that from such a skinny book the people can dive more

Back
Top Bottom