Got my first ever DH reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried it in the pool for the first time and my plate really wasn't set up correctly. When swimming in trim with the usual slightly arched back, there was a big gap between the plate and my back. So for next time I will move it higher.

WOB was pretty poo poo for me also in trim, but in the seahorse position it got much better. Again probably user error and more tweaks are required

On the bright side, $77usd UTD knock off fins that are sold under a different brand name on amazon were amazing. They are also slightly shorter than other jetfin variations, and i loved that as well
@Underwater Tourist,

The graphics in @Nemrod's posts #4 and #29 in this thread really helped me with diving my PRAM. (I had seen these graphics on the VDH website, IIRC, somewhat before I purchased my PRAM in 2015.)

Also, I wasn't new to double-hose regs when I purchased my 1st gen PRAM. (We used DH regs for some pool skills in my open water course in 1986.) I simply had never used one in open water. I already knew that my PRAM would not breathe as wonderfully as my Scubapro Mk10 + D400 (for example). I understand, though, that a correctly set-up Kraken can come close (because of its venturi).

You really do NOT want to move your cylinder farther up your back, probably.

You know, I don't consciously arch my back when I dive. And I typically am not board flat. I tend to flatten out only when I am kicking U/W with some effort to cover some distance relatively quickly. My "style" is relaxed. Comfortable. Usually I am angled up between 5 and 10 degrees, which brings the PRAM mouthpiece up, closer to the depth of the DH "can", which makes inhalation easier. (I dive in open water, rather than in caves/caverns, for example.)

Good Luck,
rx7diver

Curiously, my VDH Classic Plate, set up correctly for my PRAM, doesn't work well for me with a single hose regulator. The 1st stage of the single-hose regulator is way too far down my back.

rx7diver
Try the VDH BP with an in-line radial layout regulator like a Conshelf SE or 20 series with 4LP ports, or a SP Mk2. The second stage and inflator hoses will come up and over your shoulders instead of into your back.

You really do NOT want to move your cylinder farther up your back, probably.

You know, I don't consciously arch my back when I dive. And I typically am not board flat. I tend to flatten out only when I am kicking U/W with some effort to cover some distance relatively quickly. My "style" is relaxed. Comfortable. Usually I am angled up between 5 and 10 degrees, which brings the PRAM mouthpiece up, closer to the depth of the DH "can", which makes inhalation easier. (I dive in open water, rather than in caves/caverns, for example.)
Will try on Monday again with fixed backplate and lower tank

I am not actually conciously arching my back, it just how i was taught 7-10 years back "slight muscle tension in hips and shoulders".. by this point its my default position, but again will try to adjust on Monday and see how it feels

Will try on Monday again with fixed backplate and lower tank

I am not actually conciously arching my back, it just how i was taught 7-10 years back "slight muscle tension in hips and shoulders".. by this point its my default position, but again will try to adjust on Monday and see how it feels
Ha! I dive to relieve tension. Joking aside, there is a natural bend in my lower back (in my lower spine). I don't consciously arch my back any more than this--except, I will pull my shoulders back, upper chest "up", chin "up", when I need to be looking/kicking straight "ahead" in line with my body. But, this is NOT the most relaxed position for me. This is NOT the position I prefer to assume when I am kicking lazily or lingering.

And there is my 5-10 degree angle when am diving my PRAM. I am not so aware of this angle when I am diving my single hose regulators. It's not unusual for me to be angled a bit head down when I dive my single hose regulators, depending on what I am looking at.

Again, I am NOT diving in a close space (e.g., cave/cavern or shipwreck) traveling through a passage where I need to be looking straight ahead.

rx7diver

The backplate is just never going to work.

I too have a natural bend in my back, inward and to the left, it is called scoliosis. I never had a brace but my sister did for a little while. Really, most people who claim to be horizontal in the water when photoed are not. But, yes, some do achieve this horizontal perfection :wink:. Not sure I can blame a spinal scoliosis on hindering my pursuit of perfection :wink:.

Luckily it’s not scoliosis for me, but just my natural posture in the water

I think the key for me is to relax more and keep a more rec posture in the water looking more down as opposed to straight, which contributes to arching

When I was ascending in the pool in a more horizontal position the reg breathed beautifully

Worst case, if I don’t feel happy enough after a couple of pool dives, I will just sell it, so someone might get very lucky at SB :)

Worst case, if I don’t feel happy enough after a couple of pool dives, I will just sell it, so someone might get very lucky at SB :)
I would possibly be interested, 🙋‍♂️

But seriously I am sure you will figure it out,

Not sure on your plate do you crisscross the shoulder straps?
That helps keep it down on your back.
And not ride up.

@Underwater Tourist good to see you are starting in the right direction and place.
I stubbornly started DH in the sea.

You look very relaxed..which is awesome.
I would note that your equipment is relaxed as well..which doesn't help.
The weight belt is too loose as well as your harness waist strap. Secure the two, then your lead needs to start on your sides and then to your gut (depending on how much you need).
I use a rubber freedive belt hugging my hips, not my waist fwiw.

Screenshot_20230818-092210_Gallery.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom