Gorilla Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schu1842

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I presently dive a set of large ScubaPro Sea Wings. They seem to work well but I'd like a little more power. I'm thinking of getting a pair of ScubaPro Sea Wing Gorilla fins. I know they have been discontinued but there are still some out there. Anyone had any experience with the Gorilla model and what do you think? Thanks.

They are a bit stiffer than the regular sea wings, but not as much as you would think or probably hope.

I used a pair briefly (sorry, sold them off a long time ago) but I did not like them. The stiffer blade does not track as well through the water as the regular sea wing, and in my opinion the sea wing itself was pretty marginal in terms of stability and tracking. At it's best the sea wing was not great at alternative kicks and the gorilla fins were worse. I also hated the way the sea wing in general trapped line in the corner where the blade angles out from the foot pocket.

In short both the Sea wing and Gorilla fins were two of my many unsuccessful attempts over the years to try new fins and find a fin that was superior to the Jet Fin.

If you want more power, go with an XL sized pair of Jet Fins. My wife has mens size 9 feet and the XL Jets fit fine with a 7mm wet suit boot and they also fit my 10 EEE feet with 7mm wet suit boots, so they will accommodate a fair range of sizes other than skinny size 12 feet.

My wife switched from a pair of large Sea Wings and was amazed at the increase in both speed and power that occurred with the XL Jet Fins and their longer blade. She used to complain that I swam fast even in doubles, but now she is herself very hard to keep up with.

The Jet Fin is a 40 year old design, but it is still an exceptional fin and is badly under rated by everyone except those who use it. It offers superb power for doubles, and is also a very efficient fin overall in terms of speed, ability to perform alternative kicks without straining knees or ankles, and in close quarters maeuverability. It does everything very well and that is the reason Jet Fins are still cataloged while other SP fins are not. Personally, I am pretty sure the Jet Fin will outlive the current generation of fins just like it has the last few generations of fins. In that regard it is sort of the B-52 of fin technology.

I have always liked my Sea Wings, I have the originals with the thermoplastic “that seemed to get all scratched up on the first dive”. I also have a couple pair of the newer Hyperthane models (different colors). I find the Sea Wing to be a good fin but use my Jets half of the time. If you use the fin with a broad kick, bicycle kick, and have good leg strength they are efficient…at lease for me…

Historical note:
"The bicycle kick couldn't be done with the old rigid fins. They didn't bend enough to allow a diver to push forward. The more flexible fins made today have allowed the change. Long fins bend easily enough to allow the bicycle kick to be effective. One fin deliberately designed for the bicycle kick was the Scubapro Seawing. The little notches at the base of the blade allowed the blade to bend easily, but only to the vertical. It was then positioned for the backward push. the fin was sabotaged by the marketing "pros", who decided to sexier to talk about "lift" and airplane wings, which have no place underwater, and they allowed the Seawing to be buried, because they never let divers know how to use it". (according to Dick Bonnin, the founder of Scubapro).

I used to have a pair of gorillas (the black ones) i really liked them because they were stiff & negatively bouyant. it was really great in fighting the currents, seems like there was no effort at all. bicycle kicking won't do you any good. you'll just tire out easily plus, you're not going anywhere. aside from the regular up-down stroke of scissor kicks, try sculling or frog kicks, you won't tire that easily. now using a jet fin-similar fin of IST.

Wonder how the guy (in the Scubapro marketing department?) came up with such a name for a pair of fins...

kidspot:
So they were designed for a poor/inefficient kicking style? Talk about perpetuating a bad habit.

Yep, most newbie’s bicycle kick, and after some practice become better at using their hips. I have seen divers that still bicycle kick even after 10 or more years of diving. These are the divers that go out maybe twice a year to dive and never really practice their skills. Unfortunately this is 70-80 percent of the diving community.

kidspot:
So they were designed for a poor/inefficient kicking style? Talk about perpetuating a bad habit.

It may not be in vogue but I'm not so sure about poor and inefficient, given the right fin. My wife will fall into a bicycle pattern sometimes while skindiving. She's using Aeris Velocity open heel fins and they just flip up and drive straight back and then recycle smoothly. Swimming along side her it's hard to argue. She goes like heck and will be the first to say she has a ways to go on fitness conditioning, but she's working on it.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom