GOPRO Dive Housing Flooding Poll

Has your GoPro Dive Housing Flooded

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK... I've read quite a few posts about housing flooding, and on my last trip I had a brand new gopro dive housing flood,
even with a rubber band over the clip as insurance. I would like to know who else has had problems with this. It seems GP may have a flaw. I ordered 2 and when they came I notice the clips would jiggle a bit when locked and compared to my other gp housings I considered them a bit loose so I sent them back. I was told by the supplier that nothing was wrong with them and they shouldn't flood and they sent them back. Lo and behold I destroyed a camera. I am maticulous, and there was absolutely no debris in the seal that could have cause the breech. What is your experience?

---------- Post added June 1st, 2013 at 11:14 AM ----------

Well the poll I created didn't turn out like I expected...just let me know in the thread. Thanks

I've had a gopro 2 housing almost flood. After a dive, I got on the boat and the top button popped off. at the time I didn't notice and stuck my camera in a bucket of fresh water. the size of the hole and the air in the housing seemed to have prevented any water from getting in. the camera was in the bucket for about an hour before I realized what I had picked up off the deck. The little metal retaining ring for the top button had slid off and was rattling around in the case. I had squeezed the retaining ring a little and re-installed the button. No problems since with dives to 130 feet.

I bought an lcd screen for it and the latches for it seem a little loose but the back seems to have a good seal. I've never had a problem with that part leaking. I assume the pressure will keep it tight during the dive.

The original housing and backs all seem tight.

I flooded my hero2 last year. It unlatched at about 60 feet well i unlatched it but it was from trying to turn it off but popped opened with almost no force. The latch gets very floaty at depth
I had 2 with me on my trip so just was more careful for the rest of my dives and 2 vacation after.

The hero3 i got last week has a latch that look like it would not pop off most because my ( blond ) friend spent 5 min trying to open it with me trying my best not to laughing at her.

all the casing get compress at depth...

the gp1 and gp2 casing latch will loosen at depth due to the compress of the casing...
it will pop open if the latch was not close properly before entering the water..

the gopro3.. really do not think it will pop open due to depth compression

all the casing get compress at depth...

the gp1 and gp2 casing latch will loosen at depth due to the compress of the casing...
it will pop open if the latch was not close properly before entering the water..

the gopro3.. really do not think it will pop open due to depth compression

Incorrect.. the GP 1 and 2 have a flaw in the housing that allows the latch to come loose at depth due to excessive compression of the seal. It has nothing to do with closing it properly. All you need to do is use a rubber band to hold the latch down and it will not open at depth and then flood in shallow water.

The GP -3 has a locking mechanism that totally prevents it from coming open without someone using their fingers to manipulate the safety release on the door latch.

Hi all, I brought my partner a Go Pro 2 for his birthday last year so he could film our diving adventures.

We went out for a dive and one the first dive of the deepest depth was 10 metres upon getting back into our boat, we noticed the latch was off and water had flooded in. We thought perhaps we knocked it getting into our boat by the dodgy ladder we were using at the time.

We then went on a trip to Santo to dive the SS President Coolidge, (which was way cool) one the last day of diving (we still had 13 more days of diving in Port Vila) the same thing happened and we lost the camera and all our diving clips.

We then emailed Go Pro and told them about the problem, which returned a pretty surprising email. The sales or complaint person who stated words to the effect, " great to have all those holiday memories. If you go and buy the Go Pro 3 will won't have anymore of those problems."

My partner re- sent another email and explaining that they may have not understood his first email.... However they kept trying to get him to buy a Go Pro 3.

We have not brought the Go Pro 3 due to all the accessories we have for the Go Pro 2, which are not a match for the the 3.

We were a bit disappointed in their response to our problems even after seeing that great 60 minutes interview on tv prior to losing both of our Go Pro 2's...

Don't get me wrong we love our Go Pro 2 and use it all the time it probably the best action camera that we had ever owned...

Incorrect.. the GP 1 and 2 have a flaw in the housing that allows the latch to come loose at depth due to excessive compression of the seal. It has nothing to do with closing it properly. All you need to do is use a rubber band to hold the latch down and it will not open at depth and then flood in shallow water.

The GP -3 has a locking mechanism that totally prevents it from coming open without someone using their fingers to manipulate the safety release on the door latch.

if i close it properly.. i never have the case pop open. i only have the latch open up..but the casing was still sealed.

I have noticed at depth my housing (Backscatter housing for GoPro Hero2) gets loose. I have not tried the rubber band fix to hold it shut, but will be doing so on my trip coming up in 2 weeks. Last thing I want is to have it pop open underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom