GOPRO Dive Housing Flooding Poll

Has your GoPro Dive Housing Flooded

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that we were diving my friend's GoPro 2 and once we surfaced we did notice the latch was open but no flooding. Sorry but I am really trying my best to not laugh at the thought of buying a $300.00 and having to put a rubberband in it to keep it from flooding. I'll just stick with my Intova Sport HD. the only trouble with it is it is hard as heck to open...which is really what you want.

I have a HERO2 with the dive housing. It has never flooded.

I believe that we were diving my friend's GoPro 2 and once we surfaced we did notice the latch was open but no flooding. Sorry but I am really trying my best to not laugh at the thought of buying a $300.00 and having to put a rubberband in it to keep it from flooding. I'll just stick with my Intova Sport HD. the only trouble with it is it is hard as heck to open...which is really what you want.

The hero 2 is no longer sold.. Hell the rubber band is easy to deal with. the biggest problem was the hero 2 was worthless until you upgraded to a flat lense for it (underwater)

Yea I know dumpsterDiver as I also know the OP asked about the GoPro and not by model. the GoPro 2's can still be purchased. The Intova comes out of the box with a flat lens as well as a back display at a cheaper price and no need for a rubberband. But hell what do I know. Have fun with rubberbands, duct tape and worring about flooding while I make videos. OBTW, I was just having fun with the thread. Lighten up dude.

We had 2 Hero2's I took down on a trip. 2 nights before I put the everything together the camera, dive housing, lcd's and backplate and realizing the light and motion camera action tray needed the tripod base. Needless to say it was a mess of boxes, manuals and I broke the plastic locline base that L&M made. I did manage to engineer a better one, but a few seconds before the "CRACK", my wife says "don't break it!" great....

Anyway fast forward a few days into our trip and I keep seeing this mark in my videos so I decide to take the 2nd Hero2. Unbeknownst to me I had the LCD backplate with the ventilation holes...........ooops. DOA And I did manage to get rid of the dirt that was causing the mark on the first Hero2. Wife was NOT happy.
The reason I had 2 setups was for one for my wife and one for my son. I ended up doing 99% of the filming, it took quite a bit of work in the water to get it set with the filter and lanyard. So after I got the routine down I was the designated cameraman.

I have a GoPro Hero 2 with aftermarket flat lens by Snake River Prototyping. I've owned it 14 months. Mine has never flooded. I am careful to rinse after each dive and keep the housing covered with a neoprene sleeve I made and place it in a mask box when it's in my dive bag. Lubricate the o-ring every few months.

Dive Buddy has GoPro Hero 3, owned less than a month. Carries it on and off the boat without any protection. Keeps it in her dive bag uncovered. Water entered the housing last week while diving. I attempted to save it. Discovered a piece of sand on her o-ring when I disassembled it. Camera a total loss. Expensive lesson for her.

Guys this was the first time I put a camera into the "NEW" GP dive housing. I ordered 2 of these housings and noticed that the latches when locked down would still jiggle back and forth...They did not act at all like the other housings I have......I sent them back to the distributor who said they looked at them and sent them back saying..."They should not leak" The distributor will not take responsibility and pawns it off on GoPro. However, because of reports I've heard about breaches I was maticulous about a clean seal...and for extra insurance I rubber banded the latch. One of 2 flooded. The latch did not come off but water somehow got in. Keep the reports coming....I'm trying to identify a pattern if possible. In the mean time I am going to perform some experiments on the flooded housing...but I can only get to 7 feet in my swimming pool.

I am done with Go Pros. I have had 3 flood since they came out. One had a slow leak in the casing around the power button, another one came unlatched around 80' and recently flooded my third when the latch came undone on a new dive housing. The camera flooded before I had a chance to film a nice bull shark encounter and a dolphin taking an amberjack. Imagine how pissed I was when I got on the boat and discovered I had not captured what I thought.

I just ordered an intova.

I have a GoPro Hero 2 with aftermarket flat lens by Snake River Prototyping. I've owned it 14 months. Mine has never flooded. I am careful to rinse after each dive and keep the housing covered with a neoprene sleeve I made and place it in a mask box when it's in my dive bag. Lubricate the o-ring every few months.

Dive Buddy has GoPro Hero 3, owned less than a month. Carries it on and off the boat without any protection. Keeps it in her dive bag uncovered. Water entered the housing last week while diving. I attempted to save it. Discovered a piece of sand on her o-ring when I disassembled it. Camera a total loss. Expensive lesson for her.

What "o-rings" are you talking about? I assume those around the buttons? I have purchased a gopro, and I am VERY impressed with the video. However if it floods, I won't be buying a new one. I would like to know your routine. How do you care for the main seal, and the latch.

Yea I know dumpsterDiver as I also know the OP asked about the GoPro and not by model. the GoPro 2's can still be purchased. The Intova comes out of the box with a flat lens as well as a back display at a cheaper price and no need for a rubberband. But hell what do I know. Have fun with rubberbands, duct tape and worring about flooding while I make videos. OBTW, I was just having fun with the thread. Lighten up dude.

TONY... you have any vid with the Intova you could share?

Back
Top Bottom