[Seeking Advice]: Deliberative Terrestrial Photographer Seeks Robust First Underwater Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Neely

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Right. So, I've been a photographer on land for nearly thirty years, but I'm poor (kind of). Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I'm deliberate in my spending. I've been shooting Canon since then, but haven't purchased a new body or lens for over two decades. A part of that has to do with my need to spend my income on more important things (photography is no longer a profession; it is now just a hobby) and part of it has to do with the fact that the results I get with my outdated gear are more than accurate.

After earning my OW in 2019, I'm rapidly approaching my 100th dive and finally feeling confident enough in both my skills and my dive gear to feel like it's time to begin exploring the options for an underwater camera system.

I've owned several FauxPros over the past two years. We take them diving to film each other while practicing skills. We then watch the video back to see how we did and analyze places where there is room for improvement. However, these FauxPros have recently been prone to flooding (I'm sure that's my fault, but I don't know enough about housing to know how to prevent this from happening--especially with such cheap equipment that seems designed to be disposable . . . it isn't like I can just pick up some new gaskets from somewhere).

My original intent for an underwater rig was to seek out a dSLR or (more likely) a mirrorless body, a macro lens, and a housing. Mostly, I feel this way because I'm so used to having total control over my settings (shutter, aperture, white balance) that the idea of using a GoPro as my primary rig seems . . . blasphemous? . . . limiting at the very least. (I know several folks who produce great video with a GoPro, but I'm looking for stills, that's my shtick.)

However, my wife recently pointed out the additional maintenance and care that will be required to prevent any "big camera" from being flooded inside a housing and suggested that maybe I start by looking into finding a rig that is entirely sealed.

The only setup I know like this is the SeaLife Micro 3.0 which seems . . . fine? . . . adequate. It really seems like a step up from a point-and-shoot but not quite as customizable as a dSLR.

What other options are out there? What does everyone recommend? (I mean, I realize asking that question here is like asking which mask is best or which set of fins are best, but hearing other peoples' perspectives is often quite helpful--especially if they include detailed and thoughtful analyses.)

I imagine the first question that will be asked is: What am I looking for in a rig?

Well, ideally, I'd like something with a larger sensor. Something that will allow me to control aperture and shutter speed as necessary. Something that shoots in RAW (or, something that will allow me to set a custom white balance easily if I'm forced to shoot in JPEG). I'm on the fence about strobes. Using them appropriately (especially in conjunction with being able to modify shutter speed and aperture settings) would allow for the production of some unique imagery, but I'm also concerned about the effect strobes have on wildlife in general.

I'll be shooting in warm, blue, salty water during vacations, but I primarily dive in cold, green, fresh water most of the year.

Right now I seem more drawn to macro photography than to wide-angle photography (especially given the cold, green, darkness of the pits we dive in throughout the year).

Someone on another thread mentioned the Olympus TG-6, which seems like an okay camera but requires a housing below fifty feet, and I'm just leery about my ability to properly maintain a housing right now. Maybe I'm lazy, or maybe this is a fear of the unknown, or maybe it's my cats' fur that is getting everywhere.

If I'm honest, I'm a bit hesitant to spend the money on something more expensive given the knowledge that a flood will occur, it's just a matter of when. I'd hate to destroy a mirrorless body and (especially) a lens.

Anyway, thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Bring it on, folks. Let's hear it all.

See this thread: Ideas for small footprint compact camera setup?

My take is no matter how much you want a DSLR or Mirrorless ILC underwater you can capture great pics and videos 90-100% with a good compact.

While the Olympus TG-6 gets rave reviews my opinion is the sensor is too small. For MACRO and SUPER MACRO it's great.

But if you want to do it all (MACRO, Medium fish critter shots and wide angle) a 1" sensor like the Sony RX100 VA or Canon G7X II will be a better choice.

Good luck!

David Haas

PS - After a couple years shooting DUAL Inon S2000 strobes my lazy demeanor had me revert back to one strobe. I don't even want to travel or dive with the tray, arms, etc. One strobe also means even with 4 batteries in my little Inon S2000 I take maybe 8 versus two sets of 16 NiMH batteries before!
Look through posts under my name and you may see some ideas and insights to help you make a decision.

PPS - Here's what I'm diving with now.
A Canon G7X II in Fantasea housing plus an iPhone housing with WA lens and filter.

IMG_4566.jpeg IMG_4573.jpeg

This package is manual setting on the camera only. No TTL. Aquatica housing package. Housing for nikon d40,d40x, d60 Digital Camera. Package includes Aquatica housing, Extension 18457, Nikon d60 body with charger and battery, Ikelite AI strobe, Ikelite 100A strobe was my backup. Its never seen water, sync cord, TLC arm, Zoom gear for nikon 18-55 lens and 16-85 lens All you need is a lens and a 6 inch dome port. $1700usd plus shipping To see samples of what this housing does Red Sea - reefscenics

Attachments

• $_59.JPG
    $_59.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 98
  • $_59-2.JPG
    $_59-2.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 92
  • $_59-4.JPG
    $_59-4.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 102
The good thing about the TG-6 is that even if you should get a leak in a housing, the camera in it self is waterproof to 15m and the likelyhood of a fullblown flood is there, but not large. Usually leaks are small simmers. A TG6 can handle this. Most larger systems dont...

A TG6 is is a very cheap, secure way to start without the insane second hand value loss. A housing is also good for handling. If you get strobes for it, they can most likely transfer to a larger system if you feel for an upgrade. The TG6 does rawfiles and has an amazing macro.

Personally, I'd get a used TG6 and a videolight and get creative. Photography on land and under water are two completely different dragons to slay, and you might find that dealing with a TG6 and fixed light might be enough to deal with in the beginning. (Even if you have been taking photos for decades)

I am going to go against the current (pardon the pun) with my recommendation.

First and foremost, you have to work on the assumption that water, especially salt water is a hostile environment for a camera. Therefore, never take any camera gear underwater that you do not view as expendable. No matter how meticulous you are, accidents happen, and housings flood. This is a good reason to support the TG6 as recommended above.

Having said that, if I were just starting out, I wouldn't go that way. The TG6 has many positives running in it's favour, but you say that you are "deliberate in your spending". I am concerned about the TG6's ability to grow as your skills improve. My recommendation would be the Olympus E-PL10 and the AOI Housing.

This combination comes very highly recommended by Backscatter, one of the premier underwater photo/video retailers in the US.
Olympus E-PL10 Underwater Camera & Housing Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter
I think that this set up, while more expensive will be a better option in terms of "future proofing" your purchase.

No matter what you ultimately decide on for a camera and housing, save enough in the budget for strobes. Perhaps to an even greater extent than photography above the surface, underwater photography is all about the light.

Keep in mind, though that this is nothing more than my opinion, and as with everybody's opinion, it should to some degree, be taken with a grain of salt.

If you are worried about expend ability of your cameras, get a housing with a vacuum system - you still need to service your o-rings meticulously , but the vacuum system tests out the seal for you. If you are getting started something in the way of a micro43 systems gets you many of the advantages of a DSLR without price tag or bulk.

I would advise against the sealed systems too inflexible and lots of compromises in them. Also the TG-6 needs maintenance to use UW as well, the battery and charging compartment have little covers with seals which need to be kept clean and it also needs a post dive soak. The other thing is the fine print - in the manual for the TG cameras it advises to have the seals replaced by Olympus every 12 months. You could probably do the doors yourself, but they also have membrane seals under the buttons which eventually fail after maybe 2 years of use. Dealing with an o-ring is far easier and you can check your work with the vacuum system. You need to be meticulous about keeping grit and hairs off but it's not that hard.

Also get a strobe - you'll be disappointed in your shots without one, it's a learning curve to use one , but worth it. I'm of the view that the impact of strobes on much wildlife is overstated, there are some exceptions , but most sealife ignores the strobe or may react to the first flash only. A bright video light on a camera on the other hand will often cause fish and other wildlife to leave before you get close enough.

The AOI housing suggested above is a good starting point, it has vacuum and interchangeable ports. You talk about macro - I suggest getting a setup with the 60mm macro as a starting point. Or look around for a second hand Nauticam housing setup.

Stating the obvious, but nevertheless, it may be worth stating:
Camera
Lens #1
Port for Lens#1
UW housing
Vacuum sensor and pump kit
spare main housing o-ring, silicone, pick
Strobe or, better, 2 strobes + cables to trigger them
tray and strobe arms
video lights too?
focus light?
Another lens and port?
More lenses for above water?

What I am getting at:
Pre-think how big the system you might want to have some day might be. Then picture that. Picture your dive gear, UW flashlights batteries spare batteries, chargers for all etc. Picture it all.
Still want the bigger camera system to lug along?
Ok, join the club then and lug it.
That‘s my whole point…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom