GoPro 9, 10 or 11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've just won an Isotta housing for a Go Pro (9/10/11) and was wondering whether to keep it or sell it.

My daughter now want's to give me a GoPro for my upcoming birthday and apparently there is a really good discount on all of these locally.

I did read somewhere that there is an issue with overheating or something with either the 10 or 11, so not sure what to advise her to buy.

Looking for advice on which model to get with reasons why.

Im using the 11 in the Middle East and it 40+ Celsius in the sun and so far no issues at all with over heating, water temps are just hitting 30c and so far again no issues. If you can get the 11 then why not, better to future proof your Daughters gift

Im using the 11 in the Middle East and it 40+ Celsius in the sun and so far no issues at all with over heating, water temps are just hitting 30c and so far again no issues. If you can get the 11 then why not, better to future proof your Daughters gift
Just realized it was you @Searcaigh lol

My kiddo still uses an old GoPro hero 3 to snap pics under water and she’s happy with it.

The best deal on GoPros are on their website, if you sign up for their membership you can get an 11 for a total with membership cost included of $100 off. Unless you are getting a 10 for like $300 or less I would get the 11.

Overheating is fixed with the 11 and was only an issue on the 10 if you basically let it record for 40+ minutes at maximum settings.

We have lot of GoPro 9/10/11 and we dont have any temperature issue while we use underwater. Sometimes in outdoor use it get hot but no problem with it, no freeze or similar. All fine.

We have the 11 and love it. only use the enduro batteries under the water to ensure you don't have overheating. So when downloading or filming above the water switch to the regular battery. The enduro batteries last for a good amount of time! My husband used to film with big camera and always hated the GoPro blue of older cameras. He loves the new one and doesn't even use lights for wide angle stuff. It is great in deep low light too. If he wasn't using it I would put in on top of my dslr.

The Hero 11 is currently $399. the 10 is $350 and the 9 is $250. The horizon lock, the faster processor that makes the rear touch screen interface work more smoothly, the phenomenal improvements to the stabilization- might make the 11 worthwhile. Costco has it for $390 with an extra battery, case and extra battery- that was the best deal I found.
Not sure what Cali above is referring to. the type of battery will not change the amount of heating. what will reduce heating is turning off the front screen. using lower resolutions and frame rate. not doing super long videos. etc.

I've just won an Isotta housing for a Go Pro (9/10/11) and was wondering whether to keep it or sell it.

My daughter now want's to give me a GoPro for my upcoming birthday and apparently there is a really good discount on all of these locally.

I did read somewhere that there is an issue with overheating or something with either the 10 or 11, so not sure what to advise her to buy.

Looking for advice on which model to get with reasons why.
SO I had the gopro 11 recording in 4K yesturday at mid day in 45C+ temps and a water temp of 32C and the device did not flinch once whilst recording. I was expecting it to flash the overheating warning in those temps. But it was worked just fine.

Hero 10 seems to be the worst for overheating according to my internet research, so maybe skip that model. I'm sure the Hero 9 is just fine. I was pretty happy with my Hero 7. Just got a Hero 11 and first impressions are good. Check the video codecs on your computer. I ended up buying a new computer as my 10 year old MacBook couldn't process HEVC and there is no H264 option on the Hero 11. I was due a new one anyway, so not the end of the world. Regardless, processing 4K video requires a reasonably powerful computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom