GoPro 9 housing "o-ring" replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn’t your housing come with a “skeleton door” that allows you to access the touch screen? If so, maybe the gasket on that one can replace the one on the full door? I haven’t checked but I would be surprised if they were different pieces.
Thanks for pointing this out.

I ended up with a sizable nick in the rear door gasket of one of my GP UW housings during a recent trip to Bonaire.

I picked up the first UW housing for $24.99 via the 50% off discount at time of GP9 purchase a year or so back due to GoPro Subscriber discount. Took advantage of the same deal again a few months ago with a GP10 purchase. (Separate emails / accounts for each purchase.)

However, the rear door housing / seal is not sold separately and GP now want's $39.99 for the housing w/ Subscriber discount... not sure if they have recently decreased the discount to 20% from 50% for the housing, if they only give one 50% off discount per account / year, or perhaps the 50% off housing is only available at time of camera purchase.

Regardless - After seeing this thread I dug out the original boxes for both the UW housings I had tucked away with my camera gear... both had the open back / cut out door still inside along with a spare gasket / seal that is simple to remove / swap to the sealed door. Not sure why they even include the gasket on the open back door... perhaps as a spare or maybe to take out the slack/gap in the door when closed. I'm putting the remaining new spare as well as the nicked gasket in my save a dive kit!

Note - If anyone is looking for an o-ring removal tool - Pick up a DenTek oral care kit for ~$6 from Amazon or Wal-Mart. It includes two double ended picks with both a plastic and metal flat rounded blades that are great for o-ring removal. Neither are sharp or pointed, so low risk of puncturing or gouging an o-ring / gasket when you need to inspect and re-use.

Thanks again.

Also nicked my gasket (GoPro 10 Black) on 12 Nov 2022 AquaCat. Partial flood, but no camera damage. Replaced with skeleton door gasket. Called GoPro support this morning. The will send a free replacement. Get this -- they have no gaskets - they are replacing the entire case! Kudos.

Also nicked my gasket (GoPro 10 Black) on 12 Nov 2022 AquaCat. Partial flood, but no camera damage. Replaced with skeleton door gasket. Called GoPro support this morning. The will send a free replacement. Get this -- they have no gaskets - they are replacing the entire case! Kudos.
I got no such offer, but I have a 9. Yours may still be under warranty?

My GoPro 9 housing apparently has an irreplaceable o-ring. (Or gasket; it's not a typical o-ring.) The GoPro site suggests users buy a new case and indicates they don't sell just replacement o-rings (or gaskets, or whatever the white thingy is).

Anybody have experience with this? I know "knock-off" cases for Gopro 9/10 do sell replacement o-rings. Why not GoPro?

On the other hand, the housing itself is $50 whereas a knock-off's o-ring I saw went for $16, so maybe the better part of valor is to just buy a new case?

Any thoughts or advice?
I tried to buy spare white rubber back door seals from GoPro for my Hero 10. Their answer was that the housing is a complete single unit without separate parts!! Well, that is utter rubbish because the unit comprises acrylic plastic, stainless steel, plastic and rubber. They obviously just want to rip you off for a new housing. A number of years ago Gopro GAVE me 2 new white seals for a "Gopro Hero 3plus" underwater housing. Their cameras are great so it's a pity that their "support" programme is now dreadful, compared to the past.

Back
Top Bottom