GoPro 9 housing "o-ring" replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My GoPro 9 housing apparently has an irreplaceable o-ring. (Or gasket; it's not a typical o-ring.) The GoPro site suggests users buy a new case and indicates they don't sell just replacement o-rings (or gaskets, or whatever the white thingy is).

Anybody have experience with this? I know "knock-off" cases for Gopro 9/10 do sell replacement o-rings. Why not GoPro?

On the other hand, the housing itself is $50 whereas a knock-off's o-ring I saw went for $16, so maybe the better part of valor is to just buy a new case?

Any thoughts or advice?

Might be better off going to backscatter and buying an alternate housing that has replaceable seals if money is the issue. Otherwise your stuffed and need to buy the gasket. Which gasket exactly is it your looking at replacing?

I was thinking of the gasket on the main door. GoPro doesn't sell them.

That said, they do sell replacement housings for around $50, and I think they include a second gasket/o-ring. (I might have replaced mine once and just assumed I could get more from Go Pro.

A couple of the "alternate housings" have o-rings that are in the $15-20 range, so it's not really a money issue. Just annoying that GoPro doesn't sell gaskets for their own gear.

If you have the go pro subscription then you could try the off brand Amazon specials. Worst thing that happens is you use one of your two no questions asked replacements for the go pro.

For $50/yr (or $25/yr line I got on discount) all for videos auto upload when plugged in and you get some decent perks otherwise.

If you have the go pro subscription then you could try the off brand Amazon specials. Worst thing that happens is you use one of your two no questions asked replacements for the go pro.

For $50/yr (or $25/yr line I got on discount) all for videos auto upload when plugged in and you get some decent perks otherwise.
Interesting thought. I might explore it, though usually I'm in situations where I really don't want to lose the camera for even the few days it'll take to get a replacement shipped. (And often it's where I can't get one shipped easily.)

But worth exploring.

Thanks!

I was thinking of the gasket on the main door. GoPro doesn't sell them.

That said, they do sell replacement housings for around $50, and I think they include a second gasket/o-ring. (I might have replaced mine once and just assumed I could get more from Go Pro.

A couple of the "alternate housings" have o-rings that are in the $15-20 range, so it's not really a money issue. Just annoying that GoPro doesn't sell gaskets for their own gear.
Didn’t your housing come with a “skeleton door” that allows you to access the touch screen? If so, maybe the gasket on that one can replace the one on the full door? I haven’t checked but I would be surprised if they were different pieces.

Didn’t your housing come with a “skeleton door” that allows you to access the touch screen? If so, maybe the gasket on that one can replace the one on the full door? I haven’t checked but I would be surprised if they were different pieces.
And you're right: The skeleton door has an identical gasket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom