Goodbye ponies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what this boils down to is an issue of philosophy versus logic. We can go back and forth about whether or not his reliance on his buddy is a effective safety strategy, but the fact of the matter is until the crap hits the fan you can never truly know.

Yes having a pony makes your dives safer for the most part, that part is the logic, more air is usually better :). Philosophically though, I think is analagous to carrying a concealed weapon. A lot of us take the "better to have it and not need it, than not have and need it" stance, but honestly, since getting my permit 5 years ago I have never had a reason to use it. There are plenty of other people that I know that never got their permit, they too have never needed it.

In both scenarios, neither side is wrong. Millions of dives have been done successfully without any form of redundancy other than a buddy. However, there are always those cases we hear about in which a pony would have saved a life.

I dive with a pony, becuase that is my philosophy. It is one more tool that helps me make sure I come home to my wife after every dive.

I know the TSA rule says completely open and unplugged but in my travels I have always covered the open neck with 2" black electrical tape. No problems. However the rule may be poorly written, it seems the agents know that it really means no valve. Never had it come loose either.

And if I test every Nitrox tank with my analyzer, and every tank with my CO analyzer, and never find a problem - I'll keep testing.

I've also been struggling with a decision whether or not to start carrying a pony - almost all of my diving involves air travel. After you arrive, do you need to/actually get a VIP before re-installing the valve and filling it? Seems like that would be expensive and probably unnecessary, but isn't that the 'rule' ?

I have seen O-rings let go underwater.

I have had an LP hose burst underwater. (hose was only a few years old- properly maintained- NO warning signs it was coming.)

I have seen both free flows and water filled second stages underwater.

I always carry a pony, primarily because I dive solo but also because bad stuff does indeed happen and I prefer to be capable of self rescue when it does.

I've also been struggling with a decision whether or not to start carrying a pony - almost all of my diving involves air travel. After you arrive, do you need to/actually get a VIP before re-installing the valve and filling it? Seems like that would be expensive and probably unnecessary, but isn't that the 'rule' ?

I took my al30 pony to Bonaire for a couple weeks of solo diving. Toucan Divers just checked the Visual sticker and filled it right up. No problem.

Cheap as I am, compared to the cost of the trip, paying $15 for an unnecessary Visual Inspection wouldn't bother me (much). :D

Dave C

THE RULE requires that, yes - but who is gonna use my pony? ME! So if I keep the inside of the pony clean with my 2" tape, restore the valve myself, and I am confident in the integrity of the pony - I don't get it vized after each flight. I replace the valve and have it filled, there and here.
I took my al30 pony to Bonaire for a couple weeks of solo diving. Toucan Divers just checked the Visual sticker and filled it right up. No problem.

Cheap as I am, compared to the cost of the trip, paying $15 for an unnecessary Visual Inspection wouldn't bother me (much). :D

Dave C
Many of my trips are much shorter so the time taken to viz it at destination would also be a bother.

I have never had a problem bleeding a pony to 200 PSI or so and sending it UPS or FedEx to the dive op I am going to and having them fill it. With pressure in it they should not have to VIP it.

I have never had a problem bleeding a pony to 200 PSI or so and sending it UPS or FedEx to the dive op I am going to and having them fill it. With pressure in it they should not have to VIP it.
You do that internationally? How much it cost? I do wish Ops would stock and rent 13-19 cf ponies, but I can see the downside...

I think it was in part they had become more experienced divers and were more comfortable with their skills to be able to handle situations as they arise. I think it also had to do with the fact they never saw any other person with either of those in the caribbean settings we always dive in.

I don't think there is any correlation in the number of dives a diver has and a divers ability and/or reaction to true emergencies. Just to quote a recent sad event on the accidents and incidents page - After a student went missing, an instructor was in complete shock and was incapable of doing anything during and after the emergency.

I'm pretty brave but I know I will pass out if I suffer a deep laceration. Been there done that 8)

I don't think there is any correlation in the number of dives a diver has and a divers ability and/or reaction to true emergencies. Just to quote a recent sad event on the accidents and incidents page - After a student went missing, an instructor was in complete shock and was incapable of doing anything during and after the emergency.

I'm pretty brave but I know I will pass out if I suffer a deep laceration. Been there done that 8)

Really? I think most people would disagree with you. So you are saying a diver with 5 dives would just as likely to be able to handle a situation or emergency underwater as a diver with 100 dives? Only in a rare case would this be true. :shocked2:

There are no guarantees, but in general your suggestion is wrong. Generally, the more experienced diver will be more capable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom