Good "real" SCUBA fins for tween-age feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavdeb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a petite 11-year-old daughter who is ready to certify Jr. Open Water. However, she has been wearing Mares Clipper full-foot snorkeling fins in her confined water activities and these are marked "not for SCUBA." I haven't been able to find size 2.5-3.5 fins in any brand that are not classified as snorkeling/swim fins. Anyone know where to get itty-bitty "real" SCUBA fins? Her instructor feels that she'll probably be okay at the Jr. Open Water depths in her snorkeling fins - anyone have experience that would confirm or refute that opinion?

Some companies like XS scuba make open heel fins down to I think extra small. They are good basic fins. What kind of boots is she going to be using? A good boot may allow you to use a slightly bigger fin but then again a good boot may have to be replaced in a year with a growing kid. How many dives will she be doing a year?

Thanks, Jim - those are good questions! She has told us that she doesn't like boots, they "make her feet feel weird" (you must imagine this with the tween-age eye roll and deep, deep sigh). Frankly, her dad and I use Volo Race full-foot fins, as warm water boat diving is what we like to do. So it is not too unusual that she wants similar fins. I'd estimate only about 6-8 dives per year, given that we live in Ohio and prefer to dive in warm water!

Cynthia

If then full foots are what you require I suggest ones from scubamax. Do not go out and spend 75-100 bucks on fins that she will probably our grow in year. The model number is FN-303. I have 8 sets of these from xxs to s. I use them for snorkeling and skin diving classes for younger kids. They two girls in my current OW class used them for the first few pool sessions on scuab as well. They however think that the boots are cool and like the way they feel when water makes em all squooshy, I think the term was. They would be ok for warm water and little to no current. They are soft so she is not going to get alot of power and real speed out of them. Ie stay away from guided dives as many DM's go way too fast for adult divers. She would have trouble keeping up even though as the slowest diver she should set the pace. A lot of DM's missed this part.

You are in NE Ohio. I have a family now coming for classes from Zanesville. If you ever wanted to try a set of these fins and didn't mind a little day trip you'd be welcome to try one of the sets I have in the pool. The shop also sells them and can get em fairly quickly. Worst comes to worst I;d sell a set of mine and just replace em. Price-$40. Will not do mail order though sorry. Don;t want to get into that it didn't quite fit deal.

Last edited:
Thanks - we will look into the ScubaMax fins. Very similar to what her dad and I use and I love the smaller sizes. Again, thanks for the help!

If then full foots are what you require I suggest ones from scubamax. Do not go out and spend 75-100 bucks on fins that she will probably our grow in year. The model number is FN-303. I have 8 sets of these from xxs to s. I use them for snorkeling and skin diving classes for younger kids. They two girls in my current OW class used them for the first few pool sessions on scuab as well. They however think that the boots are cool and like the way they feel when water makes em all squooshy, I think the term was. They would be ok for warm water and little to no current. They are soft so she is not going to get alot of power and real speed out of them. Ie stay away from guided dives as many DM's go way too fast for adult divers. She would have trouble keeping up even though as the slowest diver she should set the pace. A lot of DM's missed this part.

You are in NE Ohio. I have a family now coming for classes from Zanesville. If you ever wanted to try a set of these fins and didn't mind a little day trip you'd be welcome to try one of the sets I have in the pool. The shop also sells them and can get em fairly quickly. Worst comes to worst I;d sell a set of mine and just replace em. Price-$40. Will not do mail order though sorry. Don;t want to get into that it didn't quite fit deal.

No kidding on the DM's going too fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\\
I agree 100%

I started scuba when I was 12, I think. Back then you couldn't get boots cheap. I used US Divers (Aqualung) Mini-Rocket fins, which are an open heal design. But instead on boots I wore cheap tennis shoes.

She might be able to do something like that & get into mini-rocket, or small Jet fins or some other open heal fin.

you have to get her DIR compliant jet fins all the way. If you have to duck tap them to her.

Hey guys --why can't kids carry on using snorkle fins? -with fast growing feet and limited leg strenth to drive "real" fins I would think snorkle fins would be ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom