Good Beginner Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnBator

New
Reaction score
Hi... I'm a novice diver (received SSI certification a couple years ago... have done about a dozen dives since). I'm looking to purchase a quality, reliable, first dive computer that will serve me well as I improve my skills and gain more experience. But I don't want to spend a fortune, considering how much all the other gear costs! Any suggestions on a great first dive computer? Thanks.

I seem to be recommending this a lot recently: Mares M1. It's an entry level price and has enough features that you will need to be doing technical diving before you think of replacing it.

And one of the biggest advantages: you don't have to ship it off to the dealer to change the batteries.

It has a gauge mode too, so it works as a nice bottom timer for deco dives.

Peter

For under $300, I bought the Aeris Atmos 2 with Nitrox capability. The Atmos 1 with only air is now available at some dive outlets for $99. N audible alarms on this one though. And being a novice, I think audible alarms are a good backup since on your first dives you will be busy looking at your environment and tend to forget about your computer once in a while. Oh, these are wrist mounts I am speaking of, BTW. They do come in console but cost quite a bit more this route.

Axua:
The Suunto Mosquito or Vyper is also a nice entry level computer.

Or the Sunnto Gekko, just no download feature.

I bought the Uwatec SmartPro, mainly because it will still work if I want to take an Advanced Nitrox course. It does basic computer stuff, but will still work with advanced dives. It has IR sync capability, six programable safety profiles, gauge mode, and a dive planner as well. It also has a programable backlight time and you get free batteries for life through ScubaPro/Uwatec. Some may find changing their own battery easier, but I've not been too successful with resealing dive watches I chaned the battry on. I'd rather have it backed by the company, whom I can complain to if it leaks after a battery change.

yo cant go wrong with the diverite nitek duo, i ahave heard about problems with it but me and my bud got em and we have been using it for months without any hitches. i like its user friendliness and no fuss readouts

I purchased a Genesis ReactPro for my first at the recommendation of my LDS and having looked at one that another person uses. I also got online and downloaded the manual and had a look at it. I like it a lot. I chose to go with the ReactPro because it also does Nitrox and wasnt a lot more expensive. I paid $260 for mine and have seen it online for $249.

Willie

wet-willie:
I purchased a Genesis ReactPro for my first at the recommendation of my LDS and having looked at one that another person uses. I also got online and downloaded the manual and had a look at it. I like it a lot. I chose to go with the ReactPro because it also does Nitrox and wasnt a lot more expensive. I paid $260 for mine and have seen it online for $249.

Willie

I've got the Genesis ReAct Pro also and like it. It is a Nitrox computer, which I reccomend to anyone as eventually you'll want to dive Nitrox most likely. It also
has a few other features that I really like that my old computer won't do.
It time and date stamps each dive, which is great for figuring out what dive
it was before. It will also maintain the same percent of Nitrox instead of
having to reset it for each dive, which is nice for liveaboard diving where
you dive a lot in one day. It also hold something like 50 dives, compared
to my older computer only held 10 I think. It also has a three minute
saftey stop timer, which I really like.

Now several other computers have some of these features also, but they
are just features I really live compared to my older computer, which
didn't have them.

I'd also look for a computer that has a user changeable battery.

Back
Top Bottom