Good Beginner Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnBator:
Any suggestions on a great first dive computer? Thanks.

I recommend the Uwatec SmartPro dive computer. Reasonable priced, lifetime warrentee, loads of options, but extremely simple to use. Takes care of deco/diving limit information, when you can fly, alerts you if you breathe to heavy or surface to rapidly. Heck, it'll even tell you when to pee (not really).

Originally, I was going to be a cheap arse and not even get a dive computer, just use the old fashion dials and navy charts. Why? Cause I AM CHEAP!! My wife (who is NOT cheap) purchased the Uwatec SmartPro for herself and convinced me to try it. I was amazed and purchased mine almost immediately. It's simply an awesome computer.

I recommend one that your LDS will support if you have a problem. Be sure it is nitrox comparable. Many of the new computers are programmable with software upgrades so you don’t have to buy a new one.

Just some things to think about.

I bought the aladin prime. nitrox up to 50%, easy to use dive planner, simple two button operation, conservative, manualy activated safety stop timer (a great feature IMHO), has emergency deco mode, user replaceable battery, cheap, comes with software for your PC, and IRD capability.

The only thing I don't like is the PPO2 is not adjustable. I prefer a more conservative 1.3 or 1.2 but I can live with a set 1.4.

I also like the fact that you can turn the water contacts off at the unit itself so that it doesn't turn on while cleaning it.

My first dive computer is a Smart Com by UWATEC/Scuba Pro and I love it. It's very informative and the computer software it comes with is really cool.....

Call LArry at scubatoys and get an Aeris Atmos 2 - great price right now and it has nitrox and computer download capability.

If you want to go VERY basic, get an Atmos 1 for under $200. I got one for my wife, who just got certified. It doesn't have all the features of the Atmos 2, but it does what you need. No nitrox or computer download capability in that one.

Both are a real good deal right now. Get one before they are discontinued. Word is the new Aeris models are exactly the same except with smaller displays.

And even if you aren't sure you'll do Nitrox, I'd say get an Atmos 2 at the current low price. I thought I wouldn't do Nitrox, but got an Atmos 2 anyway...within a year I had my Nitrox card :wink:

Good luck!

Gregg

I'm very happy with the Uwatec SmartCom. The batteries are NOT user-replacable, however this is a feature, not a defect, and means that after the factory replaces the batteries, it's just as watertight as the day it was built.

Also, the battery lasts for years (I'm going on 3 years, and it's still almost full), so replacement isn't a frequent event.

I've seen too many divers surface with a broken computer that leaked.

Terry

JohnBator:
Hi... I'm a novice diver (received SSI certification a couple years ago... have done about a dozen dives since). I'm looking to purchase a quality, reliable, first dive computer that will serve me well as I improve my skills and gain more experience. But I don't want to spend a fortune, considering how much all the other gear costs! Any suggestions on a great first dive computer? Thanks.

My first computer was an atmos nitrox capatible. Used it for two years and never had any problems with it, and it is extremely affordable.

BarryNL:
I seem to be recommending this a lot recently: Mares M1. It's an entry level price and has enough features that you will need to be doing technical diving before you think of replacing it.

And one of the biggest advantages: you don't have to ship it off to the dealer to change the batteries.

I second the recommendation for teh Mares M1 RGBM. Nice computer. The only drawback is that the buttons are a bit stiff/hard to press, but it gets a bit better over time.

Oceanic Veo 250... my first comp and i love it. Easy to use (so far), nitrox, and not a bad size imho. my $.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom