Going to Cancun in October and need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MakingBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just found out that my company is going to pay for a trip for me to go to Cancun for a business conference in October! WooHoo!! :icon82: I love to dive so there's no question about it, I WILL be taking at least 3 extra days (maybe more) on this trip to do some diving and maybe some sightseeing. My travel options are pretty much wide open but I need some advice from the experts of the Mayan Riviera.
Here's my situation. I am an advanced diver with over 100+ dives under my belt. I've dove in many different Caribbean locations. I spent a week in Cozumel last September. I dove most of the reefs from the San Francisco Wall to Columbia (including all of the Palancar). It was awesome! I've never dove anywhere else in Mexico. I'll probably be traveling alone, unless I can convince my friend to take off work and come with me. I'm not into the partying/club nightlife scene. I'm a diving fanatic - wreck dives, drift dives, night dives...you name it, I'll try it. Diving 5+ dives per day is my idea of an excellent vacation. While diving will be my main focus, I also like unique cultural things and trying new adventures if they are worth taking time away from the diving (feel free to recommend anything that is worthwhile).
So here are my questions:
1. Overall, how well does the diving in Cancun compare to Cozumel? Am I so spoiled now from the diving Coz that Cancun won't compare well? My idea of great diving is beautiful healthy coral, large pelagic, sharks, rays, turtles, and rare creatures, etc. Good picture opportunities are always a plus. As I said my travel options are pretty much open, so I could fly to Cozumel instead, do my diving, and then take a ferry to Cancun for the conference. However, I don't want to waste time traveling for no reason if the diving in Cancun or Playa del Carmen is just as good.
2. Should I consider staying and diving in Playa del Carmen and then go to Cancun for the business conference? I've heard that the Cenotes are neat diving. Can anyone tell me what they like about diving in the Cenotes as opposed to ocean dives? Do the Cenotes contain any mentionable sealife?
3. I'm staying at the JW Marriott in Cancun for the business conference. If the diving is good in Cancun, I'll just stay there the entire trip rather than switching hotels. Is there a decent dive op at this hotel or is there a good dive op that can pick me up at this hotel? I also have a lot of free nights with the Hilton chain. Is there a better option at a Hilton-chain hotel?
4. Is there somewhere else that I should be thinking of that I haven't mentioned? Again, I don't want to travel for no reason, but I don't want to settle for just average or mediocre Caribbean diving either if there is something a short distance away that would provide spectacular or unique diving. To give you a reference, Jamaica was probably the worst Caribbean diving I've done and Cozumel or Curacao was the best so far. I'm trying to search through the threads on this board to get information and ideas, but any info you can provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for reading my novel above. I'll be holding book signings at the back of the bookstore...:book2:

If I were you, I'd schedule a cavern class for your three days off. You've got the experience to do it, and you've seen the Caribbean before. The cenotes are unique, and a cavern class will let you spend time in them AND polish your diving skills.

You can also do cenote tours without taking a class, but you can go to more sites if you get cavern certified.

There isn't much life in the caves, but the beauty inside there is absolutely mind-blowing. HERE's my writeup of my cavern tours from last year. I got so hooked, I've made three trips down there since, and I'm now cave certified.

If this intrigues you, let me know; I can recommend an instructor for you, as well as some places to stay.

You're from Georgia, a stone's throw from Cave Country....AKA Northern Florida.

I highly recommend you just do a few cenote dives while in Mexico.....get a qualified guide and use your time well. I've done the diving/work conference thing and it can be hectic, plus you have to pack a little extra since you have to have "work appropriate" clothing for the conference, be it upscale or downscale business casual, literature, laptop, etc.

Will you be renting gear? or bringing your own? You do not want to do a cavern class in gear you are not totally comfortable with.

IF you like what you see in the cenotes, come home and do a Cavern/Intro course down the road in Northern Florida. NFL is THE HUB of cave diving training. I recommend this because, IF you do a cavern course in Mexico, you will be redoing it again should you decide to continue on in your education. NFL cavern diving is nothing like cavern diving in Mexico.....it will kick your proverbial butt....to put it nicely. Since you are in GA, the obvious progression is Florida. Mexico is a piece of cake to the Florida trained caver.....simple as that.

Plus.....living in GA, training in FL will be more reasonable, close, easy accomodations, a huge, huge wealth of instructors from the top agencies to choose from......I could go on and on.

I just found out that my company is going to pay for a trip for me to go to Cancun for a business conference in October! WooHoo!! :icon82: I love to dive so there's no question about it, I WILL be taking at least 3 extra days (maybe more) on this trip to do some diving and maybe some sightseeing. My travel options are pretty much wide open but I need some advice from the experts of the Mayan Riviera.
Here's my situation. I am an advanced diver with over 100+ dives under my belt. I've dove in many different Caribbean locations. I spent a week in Cozumel last September. I dove most of the reefs from the San Francisco Wall to Columbia (including all of the Palancar). It was awesome! I've never dove anywhere else in Mexico. I'll probably be traveling alone, unless I can convince my friend to take off work and come with me. I'm not into the partying/club nightlife scene. I'm a diving fanatic - wreck dives, drift dives, night dives...you name it, I'll try it. Diving 5+ dives per day is my idea of an excellent vacation. While diving will be my main focus, I also like unique cultural things and trying new adventures if they are worth taking time away from the diving (feel free to recommend anything that is worthwhile).
So here are my questions:
1. Overall, how well does the diving in Cancun compare to Cozumel? Am I so spoiled now from the diving Coz that Cancun won't compare well? My idea of great diving is beautiful healthy coral, large pelagic, sharks, rays, turtles, and rare creatures, etc. Good picture opportunities are always a plus. As I said my travel options are pretty much open, so I could fly to Cozumel instead, do my diving, and then take a ferry to Cancun for the conference. However, I don't want to waste time traveling for no reason if the diving in Cancun or Playa del Carmen is just as good.
2. Should I consider staying and diving in Playa del Carmen and then go to Cancun for the business conference? I've heard that the Cenotes are neat diving. Can anyone tell me what they like about diving in the Cenotes as opposed to ocean dives? Do the Cenotes contain any mentionable sealife?
3. I'm staying at the JW Marriott in Cancun for the business conference. If the diving is good in Cancun, I'll just stay there the entire trip rather than switching hotels. Is there a decent dive op at this hotel or is there a good dive op that can pick me up at this hotel? I also have a lot of free nights with the Hilton chain. Is there a better option at a Hilton-chain hotel?
4. Is there somewhere else that I should be thinking of that I haven't mentioned? Again, I don't want to travel for no reason, but I don't want to settle for just average or mediocre Caribbean diving either if there is something a short distance away that would provide spectacular or unique diving. To give you a reference, Jamaica was probably the worst Caribbean diving I've done and Cozumel or Curacao was the best so far. I'm trying to search through the threads on this board to get information and ideas, but any info you can provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for reading my novel above. I'll be holding book signings at the back of the bookstore...:book2:

The previous posts are on the mark. The cenotes are the area's claim to diving fame. I am not a fan of diving off the coast of the Yucatan, it has seen better days. The cenotes are still world class. Do at least one day of cenote diving to see if it is for you. I love it and my wife is bored with the cenotes.

Unique and cultural, take a day and visit the Mayan ruins at Ek Balam. What they found there is literally rewriting the books on Mayan art. I have been to all the major Mayan ruins in the area and that is the only one that I would visit again.

#1. Overall, how well does the diving in Cancun compare to Cozumel?

#2. I've heard that the Cenotes are neat diving. Can anyone tell me what they like about diving in the Cenotes as opposed to ocean dives? Do the Cenotes contain any mentionable sealife?

#3. Is there a decent dive op at this hotel or is there a good dive op that can pick me up at this hotel? I also have a lot of free nights with the Hilton chain. Is there a better option at a Hilton-chain hotel?

#4. Jamaica was probably the worst Caribbean diving I've done and Cozumel or Curacao was the best so far.

#1. The ocean diving in Cancun can't compare to the diving in Cozumel. Low reefs compared to coral towers.

#2. Diving the cenotes is an incredible experience. No sea life, but an occasional teeny fish or non-native Koi. On our next trip to the Yucatan we'll most likely only dive cenotes. See pics below from Chac Mool and Kulkukan cenotes down close to Tulum.

#3. Can't help you.

#4. See #1.

Attachments

• 2007 Cancun Adventure 272-2.jpg
    2007 Cancun Adventure 272-2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2007 Cancun Adventure 343-2 copy_edited-1 copy.jpg
    2007 Cancun Adventure 343-2 copy_edited-1 copy.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2007 Cancun Adventure 409-2.jpg
    2007 Cancun Adventure 409-2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 2007 Cancun Adventure 411.jpg
    2007 Cancun Adventure 411.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2007 Cancun Adventure 414.jpg
    2007 Cancun Adventure 414.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2007 Cancun Adventure 425.jpg
    2007 Cancun Adventure 425.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 73
I suggest you drop a line to Benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. He is the owner/operator of Mayan Aqua Dive (Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives&PADI Courses) in Cancun (Hotel Internationale KM 4.5 Hotel Zone) and customize a trip to your schedule.

The diving around Cancun is very good. Great reefs and marine life, whale sharks and mantas. The eagle ray season is over now. I dive there every trip down. Ben runs a six to eight diver max on trips. Cancun diving may not have the WOW! of Coz, but it is no wise a poor dive location. I think it's apples and oranges comparison.

As the others have said, you have GOT to do at least one cenote. It will make all the other dives you've done pale in comparison.

Diving in the cenotes is a must. I am a relatively new diver 24+ and really had a great time. You cant go wrong. The guide are pretty good and will usually only take no more than four divers. and you have at least two guides. Enjoy

Hyper Jose

If you want to do alot of cenote dives, stay in playa del carmen. The drive from Cancun to the cenotes take 1 to 2 hours, depending on traffics; and they charge extra for the drive. I've seen some nice cenote/reef packages on the net.

I have dove both Cancun and Cozumel before and after Wilma. Lots has changed after Wilma, but Cozumel still has the better corals in the deeper dives.

If you want great deal on hotels, and don't mind dealing with bilingual Mexican travel agents, log on to discoverymexico.com. It is interesting, as you'll find few americans in some of the hotels booked through them - as some of the hotels don't work with the american travel agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom