Going to Cancun in October and need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to do alot of cenote dives, stay in playa del carmen. The drive from Cancun to the cenotes take 1 to 2 hours, depending on traffics; and they charge extra for the drive. I've seen some nice cenote/reef packages on the net.

Well that's good to know. Thanks for that information FisherDVM. My buddy has decided that he is going to take off work and go with me. I think that we are definitely going to stay south of Cancun (maybe PDC or Tulum) to avoid the extra travel time each day and extra cost. We're thinking of diving the cenotes and maybe some reef dives. I read TSandM's review of the cavern dives. She said that she went toward Tulum on her dives in the cenotes. Are most of the cenotes closer to Tulum or PDC? My buddy and I are weighing our options right now. We're trying to decide if we should get a car and where to stay. Can anyone provide advice about staying in PDC or Tulum and whether we'll need a car the entire time or if there are other more cost effective tranportation options? We may even stay at an all-inclusive if it's cost effective and would alleviate the need to rent a car the entire time. Thoughts anyone?

Akumal is roughly half way between Tulum and PDC. It's well situated as most of the cenotes you would be diving are either north or south. If you go with an operation that provides a guide, usually the transportation is included.

Do you need night life? Or do you prefer to lay back and relax after the diving is done?

Akumal is roughly half way between Tulum and PDC. It's well situated as most of the cenotes you would be diving are either north or south. If you go with an operation that provides a guide, usually the transportation is included.

Do you need night life? Or do you prefer to lay back and relax after the diving is done?
We don't really need night life. We're not really the partying late-night types. We're also not looking for high-end accommodations. We just like to relax in the evening, maybe have a nice meal and recap our adventures for the day. We're just looking for a clean place to stay that has decent food readily available most of the time within a short walk so we can eat in-between dive trips or at our leisure without having to get a car. (i.e. if we can save $300 on a car, that's $300 more we can spend on diving and other activities) We're considering a low to medium cost all-inclusive (i.e. <$175/night - right now I'm looking at the Sandos Beach Resort) just for the sheer convenience and it's easy to budget. I realize the food may not be as good as some of the local restaurants, but it is available most of the time and we wouldn't need a car. Also, we could do other activities when we're not diving like snorkeling, sailing, etc. without extra charge as part of the all-inclusive.

Never having been to the Yucatan mainland, my plan may be skewed. If someone can provide advice of a different plan, I'm all ears. I'm not necessarily tied to the idea of an all-inclusive if someone has some different ideas of where to stay, eat and play. I've also kicked around the idea of a dive resort if one is available. Bottom line... I still have plenty of research to do on the area in a very short period of time (I have to book my travel by June 30.) I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far. It has been very helpful. Keep it coming if you can. Thanks.

Last edited:
I like staying in Puerto Aventuras. Aquanauts, one of the recommended outfits for cenote tours, is located there, and they can pick you up and transport you to the dive sites. October isn't high season, so prices are lower.

My husband and I did stay in PDC at an all inclusive (the Wyndham Maya) in October, for a really ridiculously low price. But it did require we rent a car, and car rental in Mexico is expensive, so I'm not sure we came out ahead in the long run.

If you do a cavern class, your instructor will most likely pick you up each day (depending on who you do it with).

If you want to stay in Puerto Aventuras, contacting Dive Aventuras is a good way to book lodging. Debbie there is very helpful, and I was amazed at the quality of accomodations we got for the price we paid.

If you stay as close to Hwy 307 as possible, you can do all your sightseeing and eating by traveling on a collectivo. Think local transportation. The collectivos run up and down 307 between PDC and Tulum. You simply walk out to the highway and stand there in the direction you want to go and they pull up, you hop in, and off you go. Very clean, a/c and CHEAP! They are 15 passenger white vans that the locals use to get to/from work. Tourists use them too. You don't wait but a few minutes if that for one....they run constantly. My buddy was skeptical first time we took one....thought we'd be sitting on chickens (joking). He was pleasantly suprised and now a believer.

You might want to check out this website for local accomodations in the Akumal area. If you went with the ocean side of Akumal you could literally walk to all your restaurants, and collectivo to others. Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation The owner/travel agent of the site, Kay, is a former cave explorer in the area from it's early days. You will receive far more information on that site with regards to lodging, etc than you will here. On the other hand, here is where you will get the better dive info. Kay reps alot of resorts in the area too. You will find TONS of information on that site....maps, car rental info......information overload on the area. GO THERE NOW.

There are several dives shops in Akumal proper that can also do cenote dives and ocean dives for you, many in walking distance if you go with lodging in Akumal. Go over to locogrino site above soon and post a scuba/lodging question or do a search for that matter and you'll get tons of responses very quickly. Akumal Dive Center seems to be the preferred op for ocean stuff. Scubabum and Scubagal on that site dive extensively in the area.

I've been going to Akumal and cave diving there for 8 years. I use the same op/hotel every time, but I always use the same guide as well. They are located in Aventuras Akumal, a more sleepy area, no restaurants, etc. But it is next door to Oasis and Bahia Principe. http://www.cenotes.com

Last edited:
Well that's good to know. Thanks for that information FisherDVM. My buddy has decided that he is going to take off work and go with me. I think that we are definitely going to stay south of Cancun (maybe PDC or Tulum) to avoid the extra travel time each day and extra cost. We're thinking of diving the cenotes and maybe some reef dives. I read TSandM's review of the cavern dives. She said that she went toward Tulum on her dives in the cenotes. Are most of the cenotes closer to Tulum or PDC? My buddy and I are weighing our options right now. We're trying to decide if we should get a car and where to stay. Can anyone provide advice about staying in PDC or Tulum and whether we'll need a car the entire time or if there are other more cost effective tranportation options? We may even stay at an all-inclusive if it's cost effective and would alleviate the need to rent a car the entire time. Thoughts anyone?

There are two sites that you need to visit, Can-Do Maps and travel guides and Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info . The cancunmap site has the best maps/guidebooks for the coast and are a bargain. Get both the PDC and Riviera Maya maps. The playainfo site has the best forum for the area.

A transfer from the airport to PDC is reasonable, but one to Akumal is very expensive. When we stay 5 days or less, we can rent a car with full insurance cheaper than paying for transfers. If you stay in Akumal, you will need a car. Prices in Akumal are very high at the restaurants and the grocery store, Super Chomax. We stop in PDC on our way down to 'provision up' for our trips. Driving along 307 to Akumal is better now that they have expanded the highway from Calica to past Akumal, but can be confusing since the lanes are poorly marked.

Akumal itself is a mixed bag, the beaches are great, it is centrally located with respect to the major cenotes, and the condos are a bargain. On the minus side, the middle and outer reefs are in terrible condition, eating at restaurants is very expensive, and not much is within walking distance unless you stay in 'central Akumal'. We have used the locogringo site that Diver Lori mentioned several time and highly recommend them. For what a good room in PDC runs you can get a beach front condo in Akumal from them. With your friend goes down to Mexico with you, a 2br condo in Akumal is a good way to go.

Get the maps and things will either get clearer for you or become much more complicated. If the dive op, hotel, restaurant, or shop has a website, it will be listed.

There are two sites that you need to visit, Can-Do Maps and travel guides and Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info . The cancunmap site has the best maps/guidebooks for the coast and are a bargain. Get both the PDC and Riviera Maya maps. The playainfo site has the best forum for the area.

A transfer from the airport to PDC is reasonable, but one to Akumal is very expensive. When we stay 5 days or less, we can rent a car with full insurance cheaper than paying for transfers. If you stay in Akumal, you will need a car. Prices in Akumal are very high at the restaurants and the grocery store, Super Chomax. We stop in PDC on our way down to 'provision up' for our trips. Driving along 307 to Akumal is better now that they have expanded the highway from Calica to past Akumal, but can be confusing since the lanes are poorly marked.

Akumal itself is a mixed bag, the beaches are great, it is centrally located with respect to the major cenotes, and the condos are a bargain. On the minus side, the middle and outer reefs are in terrible condition, eating at restaurants is very expensive, and not much is within walking distance unless you stay in 'central Akumal'. We have used the locogringo site that Diver Lori mentioned several time and highly recommend them. For what a good room in PDC runs you can get a beach front condo in Akumal from them. With your friend goes down to Mexico with you, a 2br condo in Akumal is a good way to go.

Get the maps and things will either get clearer for you or become much more complicated. If the dive op, hotel, restaurant, or shop has a website, it will be listed.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the maps and travel guides. Is there a bus from Cancun to PDC and/or Akumal? If I understand correctly 5th street is the main street in PDC. If I stay in a hotel near 5th street in PDC, will there likely plenty of restaurants within walking distance? How expensive is the food in PDC? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good dive op in PDC? Looking for a shop that is reasonably priced for large dive packages (i.e. at least 6 dives each for my buddy and I in the cenotes, other reefs, and maybe Coz)

There are tons of restaurants in PDC, and some of them are quite good. None that we ate at were very expensive. I think 10th Avenue is the street you are thinking of -- it's the transition between auto and pedestrian zones.

Do check out the Can Do maps -- They're really excellent.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the maps and travel guides. Is there a bus from Cancun to PDC and/or Akumal? If I understand correctly 5th street is the main street in PDC. If I stay in a hotel near 5th street in PDC, will there likely plenty of restaurants within walking distance? How expensive is the food in PDC? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good dive op in PDC? Looking for a shop that is reasonably priced for large dive packages (i.e. at least 6 dives each for my buddy and I in the cenotes, other reefs, and maybe Coz)

The great thing is that the map IS the travel guide. It is a very unique product and worth every penny. We always get the latest edition before we start our trip planning. The entire area is changing so fast that we find new options each year for hotels and restaurants. You will not be disappointed, the best money you will spend for your trip.

The bus from the airport to PDC is the ADO and is a bargain at $8pp. Nice modern bus and plenty of room for luggage. Think of your typical Greyhound bus. Drops you off at the old bus station at Juarez and 5th/10th. The ferry to Coz is close and most of the more modern hotels are a $5 or $10 cab ride away. Most of the AI's are to the south in Playacar and the smaller hotels are generally to the north of the bus station. Look at the map and you will amazed at how many options you have.

There is no 'bus' to Akumal, they system they have is called the 'collectivo', basically a 15 person van. I think they are still about $3.50pp and will pick up/drop off along 307. Great way to get around the coast for day trips, but a lot of luggage will be a real pain. The maps will show you where the Collectivos leave from PDC, Cancun and Tulum. You have to remember that 307 can be up to a mile from places like Puerto Morelos and will feel like longer if you walk into PA. You do not want to walk from 307 to Yal Kul lagoon in Akumal.

For tourists, 5th Ave. is the main street and is a pure pedestrian walkway from Juarez to just north of Constituyentes (sp?). 10th Ave is the last street for cars (north bound) and is becoming a lot more tourist oriented. More places to eat on 5th than you can visit in a vacation and I feel that most are expensive for what you get. There are a lot of cheap eats along 10th Ave, but my two favorites are HC Monterey and El Fogon. You will eat very well at less than $10pp. Both have locations across the street from the Mega at 30th (?) and Constituyentes. No English spoken here and most of the diners are locals. Two other good places are El Oasis (shrimp tacos) and La Tarraya. Oasis in between 5th and 10th on Calle 12 (maybe 14). Tarraya is on the beach around Calle 2. If you stay in PDC a car is more of a pain than it's worth. Every place I have mentioned is within a mile from each other.

Here are three dive shops that I trust, in PDC Geofish, in PA Aquanauts and in Akumal, the Akumal Dive Center. When you get the maps, all the dive shops and their addresses will be listed and there are a lot of them. In fairness, I think that Laura and Perry missed the shops associated with the big AI's. You might check the AI's site for more information.

WOW! Thanks for all of the great information. After looking at all of the travel costs and diving options, I think we're going to stay on Cozumel for 4 days to do the reef diving. We want to do a lot of diving and the reef diving in Coz is about half the cost of dive trips to the cenotes. However, we are definitely not going to miss diving in the cenotes also. On the 5th day, we are going to take a morning ferry across to PDC and have a Dive Op (probably from Cancun) pick us up at the Ferry port to do two cenotes dives and return us to our hotel in Cancun. I am going to contact Ben from Mayan Aqua Dive to see if he can accomodate us. Does any have any other good dive ops that they would recommend that might be able to pick us up at the ferry port and drop us at our hotel in Cancun after our dives in the cenotes?

Back
Top Bottom