Going solo - what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So strange to see strangers to care if I live or die. Touching. :D

Or I am selfish enough that I don't want to waste 20 minutes of my life reading about you in the Accidents and Incidents forum to reaizle that another diver died by going beyond his skills and training. In either case, if you are going to solo do it properly with adequate contingency planning, or not at all.

What would be a contingency beyond:

1) Out of air, free flow
-- Switch to octo or dump weights

2) Got stuck in a sea-weed, fish line, etc
-- Cut it or deploy the noodle

What else might happen? Alligator? Heart attack?

Would it be utterly foolish to go solo?

Yes! This is not a swimming pool rather a lake. Don't be the next guy they find dead at the bottom. Seems like it is unlikely, and it is, but stuff happens. Solo diving requires 100 dives for a cert. What else do you need? If you have to think about this you are not ready. Regardless I would say find a buddy. Diving is more fun with a buddy anyway!

---------- Post Merged at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:15 PM ----------

1) Out of air, free flow

You have demonstrated your lack of knowledge.

Solo divers carry two sources of air. So a pony tank with separate reg.

I was with a guy that got so messed up UW that he was trying to surface by swimming into the bottom. This was in 20' of water with low vis, similar to TX diving. Stuff can easily go wrong and you have no clue how you react in an emergency.

What is so hard about finding a buddy? Look here in the Texas Diving forum.

I know this is not always the recommended practice but...my 1st dives after getting certification were solo Dives (5-100+) But my 1st 10 solo were in a spot where there were 1)plenty of other divers 2)where I did my OW training so I was familiar with spot 3)classes being conducted within same vicinity often 4)20-30ft. Most of these dives were to work with new BC, work on buoyancy,drills with my pony,camera,compass, etc.( I'd say dives 10 on up might be considered solo as they were S.O.S.D, many were hunting dives,lobster ect.)And I took classes along the way(#11-50) Navigation, night, rescue etc.
I wouldnt recommend it to everyone but I was told don't dive beyond my abilities,comfort zone.So I felt fairly safe/comfortable/prepared under these conditions.

So strange to see strangers to care if I live or die. Touching. :D

Some have told you that diving solo is a bad idea. Some have told you to get more experience first. Some have simply pointed out that it is not to be taken lightly. I'd say that you are lucky to be receiving feedback from a diverse group of divers, many of whom are more experienced than you.

1) Out of air, free flow

Yup. You are lucky to be receiving feedback from divers that are more experienced than you.

Pull up a chair. Have a beer and hang out on SB for a while before rushing into your pond. As you pick things up you will begin to be able to answer the questions you posed. Concentrate on the Accidents and Incidents forum.

I am not saying that solo diving is bad. I am saying that (as RonFrank noted) you aren't aware of what can go wrong.

1) Out of air, free flow

That...right there... is the sort of thinking that kills people. Where a necessary survival action is not ingrained as instinctual, and problem solving is required to find a live-or-die solution. Having made such a gaff from the comfort of your keyboard, what do you think your chances are when under severe stress in the worst possible conditions underwater?

) Got stuck in a sea-weed, fish line, etc

Again... easy to say... but is it as easy to achieve under sub-optimal/stressed conditions?
What if the fish line was steel-trace... will your knife get through it?
What if you drop you knife?
What if the entanglement is behind you?
What if there is current, pulling you against the entanglement so you cannot reach it?
What if, whist tangled, you kick up silt and have to perform the entire operation blind?

...what if, whilst entangled, you breath heavy and run out of air?

You might notice a trend that experienced divers take the issue of solo diving quite seriously. That should tell you something.

If you can't foresee the problems which could arise, you have a choice between believing (1) there are no problems or (2) that you're not experienced enough to understand what can happen.

I don't think many of the scuba fatalities that happen every year predicted the issues or failures that killed them. They were either blind-sided by something they failed to foresee and prepare for.... or they had predicted the issue and erroneously over-estimated their capacity to deal with it.

There have been examples of both, ​in this thread so far.

What if I die in a car accident on a way to the pond? What then, ah? What then? What if it is a semi who could not stop or an SUV that failed to see a red light? What if?

Having a buddy near by absolutely does not guarantee that he will be helpful in saving you.

---------- Post Merged at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:42 PM ----------

@00wabbit: There are scuba divers around.

Back
Top Bottom