Go Pro or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The newest GoPros (11 & 12?) now can optionally record in 10 bit log format, which I am told will offer greater color and exposure depth for correcting colors and brightness etc, particularly important wide angle and ambient [no] lighting scenes.

Haven't done enough GoPro testing myself, but it has been true for the OM Systems OM-1 that I use.

I've been using the SJCams for years. Very inexpensive, easy to use. I have an SJ 4000 and a 5000. Both are darn near indestructible. I haven't found filter that work for them, though.
This is from the SJ5000
SJ4000 SJ5000 Haven't heard of them ? don't they have filters for underwater though ?

Thank you for the tips.

What really intimidates me is the post processing involved in videography. It appears to be much more complex than still photography. Also, there are many terms I don't understand such as: LUT, codecs, logs, fps and other terms I don't remember (I am not sure that I used the right spelling for the acronyms here). I am the type that wants to know and understand all technical terms and how they are used from the beginning :)
When filming a dive, spend a lot of time and focus on keeping the camera still. You can get rid of some of the shake with software in the camera or in the editing process, but getting a smooth tracking of a diver or a fish takes lots of practice.

Most cameras have a raw recording mode where it records all the data with no in camera corrections. This will give you the most data during editing for color correction, etc. If your camera has a true 60 frames per second recording ( some cameras double the frames, two identical images at 30 and calling it 60), you can play it back at 30 frames in editing and it will slow the fish down and slow any shaking, making the image smoother.

What really intimidates me is the post processing involved in videography. :)

I don't do any video editing. Most of my video's are just for me and some I upload to you tube as is. Go Pro's great for non macro video only, however if you want those really tiny critters a TG6/7 needed.

These from my TG6. But I have a DIY tray I can set down and leave to video.

This from my Go Pro Hero 4

I noticed a huge jump in performance when stepping up from a Hero4 to a Hero10.
So there is also the issue of which version of GoPro are you using as a benchmark?

DJI Osmo Action 3/4. The 3 combo is pretty cheap for the scuba kit.

GoPro Hero11 also a good deal these days

I ended up going with the DJI Osmo Action 4 because the sensor is a lot larger and should do better in darker settings. Worked great doing pool and some limited shallow water video for my son's PADI Seal Team camp last week.

I went for the Osmo Action 4 and I love it. The white balance sensor does a great job. Follow the link for a video of a Maldives trip, no filters, no color correction.

Thanks, would be very interested to hear peoples comments regarding DJI Osmo 4 or 3 v Go Pro. Regarding battery life and whether it is worth getting the 3 instead of the 4 and which is the minimum GOpro to get. Thanks in advance

I went for the Osmo Action 4 and I love it. The white balance sensor does a great job. Follow the link for a video of a Maldives trip, no filters, no color correction.
wow the video was great, the colours were great, up to what depth were you still getting good colour. Loved the soundtrack and you have sparked my interest for the Maldives with that video, is that a liveaboard only area ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom