Go Pro or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, would be very interested to hear peoples comments regarding DJI Osmo 4 or 3 v Go Pro. Regarding battery life and whether it is worth getting the 3 instead of the 4 and which is the minimum GOpro to get. Thanks in advance

The biggest issues that pushed me to DJI was reports of trouble with battery life and overheating issues with the GoPros. DJI also has fast charging and will get to 100% in half the time if the GoPro

Thanks for that, DJI looks better for sure. Are they an established company? is their customer service / warranty any good ?

Can anyone give any input on how the 3 compares to the 4 please ?

Thanks for that, DJI looks better for sure. Are they an established company? is their customer service / warranty any good ?
Yes very established, DJI is a huge Chinese electronics company. They make like 70-80% of the worlds video drones and arguably the best in the world. No idea on customer service.

wow the video was great, the colours were great, up to what depth were you still getting good colour. Loved the soundtrack and you have sparked my interest for the Maldives with that video, is that a liveaboard only area ?
Indeed great colours. Dive depths are mixed in the Maldives, and we were often in the AOW range (18-30). Colours only go really dim when there is no sun. You can dive also from resorts, but a liveaboard can go to all the best sites and give you the full spectrum of diving...

I have not used my GoPro9 once in ~30 dives since getting a DiveVolk housing. This is with a red filter, uploaded straight from my phone. Roughly 50-60' deep on a sunny day in Cozumel with an iPhone 12mini. I really like being able to send pics to my fellow divers while we're riding back to the dock.

Attachments

• IMG_3523.jpeg
    IMG_3523.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3519.jpeg
    IMG_3519.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 22
How does the 3 compare to the 4 ?
Seems your thread got slightly highjacked.

I have the 4 and it is a great camera, easy to use and does good quality video, I use it to supplement my full camera setup, especially when I don't have a wide angle lens on my main camera.

DJI are massive compared to GoPro, GoPro only do action cameras (and they massively failed when they tried to release a competing drone to DJI, and ended up recalling them all and discontinuing there drone development)
Whereas DJI do multiple drone models from small to very large heavy lift drones, audio recording products and also do the Ronin series of professional stabilised video products with there own sensors and optics (that a lot of movies are shot with for there action scenes)
The also own part of Hasselblad that produce quality camera optics.

Their support has become very good and responsive.

The main reason I moved from GoPro to DJI was that GoPro has a history of overheating and locking up needing the battery to be removed to recover the camera (and something you can't do underwater)

I can't speak much about the difference between the 3 and 4 in real life as I don't have a 3, but there were improvements in the sensor, stabilisation and storage size.

I did have one issue with the Action 4 where I used a Samsung SD card that turns out isn't compatible, swapped it over for a SanDisk card and problem solved.

Seems your thread got slightly highjacked.

I have the 4 and it is a great camera, easy to use and does good quality video, I use it to supplement my full camera setup, especially when I don't have a wide angle lens on my main camera.

DJI are massive compared to GoPro, GoPro only do action cameras (and they massively failed when they tried to release a competing drone to DJI, and ended up recalling them all and discontinuing there drone development)
Whereas DJI do multiple drone models from small to very large heavy lift drones, audio recording products and also do the Ronin series of professional stabilised video products with there own sensors and optics (that a lot of movies are shot with for there action scenes)
The also own part of Hasselblad that produce quality camera optics.

Their support has become very good and responsive.

The main reason I moved from GoPro to DJI was that GoPro has a history of overheating and locking up needing the battery to be removed to recover the camera (and something you can't do underwater)

I can't speak much about the difference between the 3 and 4 in real life as I don't have a 3, but there were improvements in the sensor, stabilisation and storage size.

I did have one issue with the Action 4 where I used a Samsung SD card that turns out isn't compatible, swapped it over for a SanDisk card and problem solved.
Interesting you had an issue with the Samsung card. I ordered the Samsung Pro Plus 256Gb card from DJI along with my Action 4 and it works fine.

i hate gopros. i have a hero 8 black and it sh1ts the bed every time i try to use it. because they pump out new models every year they've stopped making batteries for the 8 so i can no longer get 1st party ones anymore. still takes great footage yet it's totally unreliable and they don't support it anymore. before that i had a hero 3 (?). that one was a lot more reliable. it seems their cameras only get heavier and buggier with each new release. i have been thinking of trying a dji as well, they just dropped the price on the 4- that's the one i'd get if i were gonna pull the trigger on a new camera

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom