Go Pro or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People get defensive about their chosen brand for some reason whether it be Apple, GoPro or Ford. I don't fall in to that category, just relaying my experience. I started with a GoPro Hero 3+. It was a fricking nightmare! It locked up all the time and battery life was poor. Moved on to a Hero 5 and it was much improved, then a Hero 7. A few quirks, but generally OK. Have a Hero 11 now and it's been great, no issues at all. I understand the Hero 10 had over-heating issues and the Hero 12 has no real advantages over the 11.

People get defensive about their chosen brand for some reason whether it be Apple, GoPro or Ford. I don't fall in to that category, just relaying my experience. I started with a GoPro Hero 3+. It was a fricking nightmare! It locked up all the time and battery life was poor. Moved on to a Hero 5 and it was much improved, then a Hero 7. A few quirks, but generally OK. Have a Hero 11 now and it's been great, no issues at all. I understand the Hero 10 had over-heating issues and the Hero 12 has no real advantages over the 11.

When does the new model of GoPro come out? End of calendar year?

When does the new model of GoPro come out? End of calendar year?

September is the usual release date. You've made me sound like a real fanboi now! I would view any new models with a critical eye before spending money. I wonder if we've reached peak GoPro for the time being. Until they increase the sensor size, I can't see myself upgrading. As per my previous post, the Hero 11 does everything I want it to do without issue. Increasing definition and fps from where it is already has no value to me.

September is the usual release date. You've made me sound like a real fanboi now! I would view any new models with a critical eye before spending money. I wonder if we've reached peak GoPro for the time being. Until they increase the sensor size, I can't see myself upgrading. As per my previous post, the Hero 11 does everything I want it to do without issue. Increasing definition and fps from where it is already has no value to me.

I just want to make sure that I have the latest model compared with yours :p

I won't buy until early 2025 myself. Perhaps when I am ready to buy it, there will be reviews from people that bought it before I do :)

I need to upgrade as much as I can of my photo camera, lenses, accessories, strobes and even the camera itself if I can first.

Seems your thread got slightly highjacked.

I have the 4 and it is a great camera, easy to use and does good quality video, I use it to supplement my full camera setup, especially when I don't have a wide angle lens on my main camera.

DJI are massive compared to GoPro, GoPro only do action cameras (and they massively failed when they tried to release a competing drone to DJI, and ended up recalling them all and discontinuing there drone development)
Whereas DJI do multiple drone models from small to very large heavy lift drones, audio recording products and also do the Ronin series of professional stabilised video products with there own sensors and optics (that a lot of movies are shot with for there action scenes)
The also own part of Hasselblad that produce quality camera optics.

Their support has become very good and responsive.

The main reason I moved from GoPro to DJI was that GoPro has a history of overheating and locking up needing the battery to be removed to recover the camera (and something you can't do underwater)

I can't speak much about the difference between the 3 and 4 in real life as I don't have a 3, but there were improvements in the sensor, stabilisation and storage size.

I did have one issue with the Action 4 where I used a Samsung SD card that turns out isn't compatible, swapped it over for a SanDisk card and problem solved.
Thanks for that

Interesting you had an issue with the Samsung card. I ordered the Samsung Pro Plus 256Gb card from DJI along with my Action 4 and it works fine.
Yeah, it caused the camera to consistently stop recording and then take forever to finish writing to the card, and usually corrupted whatever you recorded, once it finished writing or timed out, it would be good to go again and them mostly work fine.
It got frustrating so I went looking for a solution and found it's potentially an unsupported card so replaced it and it hasn't missed a beat since

just looked at the card compatibility list and the Samsung cards are still not on there
This is the compatibility list:

Recommended microSD Cards​

• Recommended models:
    SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB U3 A1 V30 microSDHC
    Kingston CANVAS Go! Plus 64GB U3 A2 V30 microSDXC
    Kingston CANVAS Go! Plus 128GB U3 A2 V30 microSDXC
    Kingston CANVAS React Plus 64GB U3 A1 V90 microSDXC
    Kingston CANVAS React Plus 128GB U3 A1 V90 microSDXC
    Kingston CANVAS React Plus 256GB U3 A1 V90 microSDXC
    Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB U3 A2 V30 microSDXC
    Lexar Professional 1066x 128GB U3 A2 V30 microSDXC
    Lexar Professional 1066x 256GB U3 A2 V30 microSDXC
    Lexar Professional 1066x 512GB U3 A2 V30 microSDXC

I had a 128g card so it could just be that card
So if you have issues in any camera, check the card as potentially be a problem.

I just want to make sure that I have the latest model compared with yours :p

I won't buy until early 2025 myself. Perhaps when I am ready to buy it, there will be reviews from people that bought it before I do :)

I need to upgrade as much as I can of my photo camera, lenses, accessories, strobes and even the camera itself if I can first.
DJI announced the Action 4 in August and GoPro announced the GoPro 12 in September, so it would be a safe assumption that it would the same for this year

There are a couple of other options you could look at

Insta360 has the Insta360 Ace Pro/Insta360 Ace action cameras
or the
Insta360 X3/X4 360degree cameras (wouldn't bother with the X4, the reports are that there isn't much gain for the new price tag over the X3)

I haven't seen or heard much about the Insta360 Ace Pro/Insta360 Ace for underwater use.

I have the older Insta360 X2 with a waterproof housing that I have taken diving and does work well, but the footage quality is subpar compared to the DJI Action 4 based on how it work, it will always have lower resolution. The one bonus it does have is that it captures footage all around you that you can then frame in various ways, but you also need to spend the time doing the framing.

If you're not using lights for up close, and you're NOT into post processing color correction, then definitely consider a Red filter of some sort. Red filter is not as necessary if you are adept at color correction in post.
Would also recommend looking at Backscatter's recommended GoPro settings.

If you're not using lights for up close, and you're NOT into post processing color correction, then definitely consider a Red filter of some sort. Red filter is not as necessary if you are adept at color correction in post.
Would also recommend looking at Backscatter's recommended GoPro settings.
Red filters aren't really needed on the Action 3/4 as the camera has a built in white light sensor.

Personally, I find the red filters annoying, they're fine at depth but when in the shallows you can end up with a lot of red footage you can't do anything with.
Not saying the white light sensor is perfect but at least if doesn't add artificial red into the footage.

Back
Top Bottom