Go Pro Hero 11 ? Any early Reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Th
Backscatter makes several FLIP filter kits and one accessory for that kit is a 55mm adapter.
Thanks Reefhound.
I'm not really interested in the Flip system as I much prefer the results I get with UR Pro Cyan filters (which are really difficult to find these days), but I guess their 55mm (macro lens?) mount could be a workaround, if there are no simpler solutions.
On the 5/6/7 I'm using SRP 55mm thread adapters, it's just a slide-on plastic mount, works fine, but I don't think SRP's around anymore, and didn't support the transition the hero 8 and above.
One alternative was thinking of trying was the AutoMagic filter on the GoPro - the filter gel can be slid into the housing (on the 5/6/7 supersuit anyhow).

You have a link to these filters you've been using? I've liked the Flip filters a lot better than the plastic snap-on ones I first tried many years ago.

You have a link to these filters you've been using? I've liked the Flip filters a lot better than the plastic snap-on ones I first tried many years ago.

The company no longer exists, but the adapter is part of the Snake River Prototyping SRP Blurfix kit.

It comes with a dome shaped UR-Pro filter, which can be unscrewed, leaving a 55mm thread.

This here:

I've used the SRP adapter with the Backscatter Macromate as well.

These are standard UR-Pro filters:

You can read more on UR-Pro filters here:

Unfortunately, the UR-Pro company no longer exists as well I think - website (which was already old and hardly useable a few years back) has now disappeared of the grid.

If you want to see why I like UR-Pro filters, just check out my videos.
Other than the LX10 stuff, everything is on GoPro with the UR Pro filter in ambient light, with a flat profile, and I like the options this gives me for working in post.

I'm sure the 11 would be an upgrade, and I'll consider it when I'm set on the 55mm filter adapter question.

cheers

I'm sure the 11 would be an upgrade, and I'll consider it when I'm set on the 55mm filter adapter question.

Send Backscatter an email, they can probably sell you a one filter version with just the 55mm adapter.

Send Backscatter an email, they can probably sell you a one filter version with just the 55mm adapter.
What worries me about the flip system is that the filter is just held onto the housing, not actually connected.
Working as an instructor/guide, I carry my GoPro in my BC pocket, and dive in conditions where current is strong, and this really doesn't seem as sturdy as what I'm currently using and have been using for years.

Ie this:

ff-1kit10_1.jpg

vs this:

IMG_20221009_124834.jpg

Apologies for hijacking this thread..

I stopped using red filters when I upgraded to GoPro 9. I use a video light, auto white balance and correct color in PowerDirector.

I stopped using red filters when I upgraded to GoPro 9. I use a video light, auto white balance and correct color in PowerDirector.
Hi,

I hear this often (people not using filters, especially since the 8 upwards) but have not really been convinced by the end results in terms of colour balance after a few meters in ambient light.

I shoot in ambient light exclusively (other than for macro) and prefer shooting in flat, then white balancing in post, which comes closer to a what a manual white balance a depth would be, and gives me more flexibility to work with the footage (see above).
I find that the red channel boost that a filter gives helps the camera white balance more accurately in post.

If I upgrade the GoPro7 one day, I will keep working with a good filter like the UR Pro - I'm curious about the AutoMagic filter (which I don't have, only the standard one) gels as an alternative placed inside the housing - I tried a Keldan Spectrum -1.5 filter gel inside the housing on the 7, but found that it doesn't work well (it's the one I use on my LX10, to manually white balance) without a manual white balance.

The UrPro + GoPro combo really works well.

Overheating / Enduro Battery Duration

[1] 5.3k / 60 - 16:9 - Wide - HyperSmooth: On - 10 bit: On - Bit Rate: High
[2] 4k / 60 - 16:9 - HyperView - HyperSmooth: On - 10 bit: On - Bit Rate: High
[3] 5.3k / 30 - 16:9 - Wide - HyperSmooth: On - 10 bit: On - Bit Rate: High

[1] Time: 47 min // Size: 39.4 GB
I tried this one several times and the GoPro would always eventually power off due to overheating. (Keep in mind, I had a small fan pointed directly at it and the GoPro was not in any case) The longest my GoPro 11 would run with these settings before powering off was ~31 minutes. In total, with these settings, I would get about 47 minutes of video before the battery would run out. Hard to judge battery life as it wasn't consecutive non-stop video.
[2] Time: 49 min // Size: 40.9 GB
[3] Time: 1 hr 11 min // 59.8 GB
Had the GoPro 11 in Roatan a couple weeks ago. GoPro 11 In 84 degree water in a SuperSuit it eventually overheated recording at 4K60. Used only the Enduro batteries. Appeared to last pleasantly longer but I was focusing on actually taking good photo/video and not testing. After overheating I only turned on as needed.
I'm hoping to get it in the water this weekend to see how the videos compare. I might try the 5k/60 setting again underwater to see if it still overheats. I'm kind of disappointed with that setting so far. Unless you were riding a bike at a good pace or driving, I can't see 5k/60 being a viable mode to use for anything other than shorter recordings. I certainly can't imagine it not overheating on a walk or jog since having a small fan blowing directly at it didn't keep it cool enough. Even if it didn't overheat enough to power down, I'd think that extra heat isn't good for the longevity of the camera or batteries.

For absolute ease of use for color correction of video as well as stills whether from my TG-6 or GP I use Dive+. I am sure photographers with talent and patience will scoff but the difference is amazing and couldn't be easier. It's a free app, only works on mobile devices.

A year ago I upgraded to the Hero 10 and I did finally get it to work, but it was quirky, it is still difficult to down load to my computer, but overall it seems OK.

I would be very interested in opinions from people who have used the 10 and now have the 11? Is the upgrade worth it for diving videos?
I love mine have not had any over heating issues but it's only been used in the water. But absolutely love it !!!

Back
Top Bottom